Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cornbread4u2

Compost

25 posts in this topic

i know that you are in the middle of doing the vegetation and agriculture overhaul and working on SMP. but some of us were talking on the IRC and we thought that maybe another use for the massive amounts of leaves we break.

my suggestion: dunno if its possible but having the leaves "pop off"/fall to the ground after you break the tree for easy harvesting, kinda like the shears will do. but the leaves can be either "searched" for sticks, or maybe put into a compost heap along with dirt to act as a fertilizer instead of the weird bonemeal. Also to have the compost/fertilizer take a long time to make, like your charcoal idea. and make it speed up the growth of the whatever by "placing" it in the dirt block underneath. We were also tossing around the idea that it could be a number of growths it lasted for.

i like this simple idea that could make trees more usable in an all-around less tedious way.

Compost could produce Methane, which could be used as a fuel or even to fill things like a hot air balloon.

neat idea, and combined with the methane and stone piping system I propose for the steam could be used to collect it.. might be neat to pursue this a bit more :)

neat idea, and combined with the methane and stone piping system I propose for the steam could be used to collect it.. might be neat to pursue this a bit more :)

Gas lamps!

Gas lamps!

THAT is a good idea. Possibly it works like the fire pit except you feed it fuel instead of logs. Though I think torches would still trump using them since... well, yaknow, they don't burn out. I like that idea though.

THAT is a good idea. Possibly it works like the fire pit except you feed it fuel instead of logs. Though I think torches would still trump using them since... well, yaknow, they don't burn out. I like that idea though.

you mean they don't burn out right now ;) I think that will be changed later.

wow i forgot that compost produces methane. my only concern is at what technology level would be needed to make something that could collect the methane from the compost would that be at? cause the collection might need some sort of plastic or airtight thing. i might just be being picky.

that aside, i am liking the idea of gas lights that run on a fuel source, if thats the case, im also for torches "burning themselves out" like the redstone repeaters do.... coding easy eh??

wow i forgot that compost produces methane. my only concern is at what technology level would be needed to make something that could collect the methane from the compost would that be at? cause the collection might need some sort of plastic or airtight thing. i might just be being picky.

that aside, i am liking the idea of gas lights that run on a fuel source, if thats the case, im also for torches "burning themselves out" like the redstone repeaters do.... coding easy eh??

People collect methane now from enclosed pig house thingies that leads to their house gas lamps and such. I believe they use simple copper piping, so whatever tech level would give you pipes would be all you should need :)

And a valve.. maybe a clothes pin for your nose ;)

yeah thats true, i did a little bit of digging and thats pretty much what i found, it seems like it would work well in the progression if its copper and up that makes pipes

Should be noted I think a few pigs + pipe == single lamp :) Not sure if this idea is all that practical at this point in time.. we would need to get something else from this to make it worth the effort I think.. Maybe this is part of the early mechanics talk as a part of their progression of something larger?

Should be noted I think a few pigs + pipe == single lamp :) Not sure if this idea is all that practical at this point in time.. we would need to get something else from this to make it worth the effort I think.. Maybe this is part of the early mechanics talk as a part of their progression of something larger?

if it worked that way, cows too, they produce methane.

Also was toying with the idea of throwing food in the compost as well to increase the quality of the compost, might be a little overboard. maybe food should be a requirement for the compost itself

if it worked that way, cows too, they produce methane.

Also was toying with the idea of throwing food in the compost as well to increase the quality of the compost, might be a little overboard. maybe food should be a requirement for the compost itself

if food goes bad, we need something to do with it... If food / compost goes rancid though, will it contaminate?

if food goes bad, we need something to do with it... If food / compost goes rancid though, will it contaminate?

im pretty sure that rancid food only applies to us humans. pretty sure that the worms/bacteria/microbe sized things still break down rancid food. cause essentially it decays and deposits the nutrients into the soil making it rich and compost XD

So, taking a step back here to breathe (or not :P) how would the mechanics work on the actual creation?

Since Bioxx has been using actual constructions such as furnaces, maybe he would think out a way to physically toss things into a pile and they would decay over time in some sort of pit you have to dig and surround with stone/cobble/brick/etc. to contain it. Then it would break as an item (not a block) to be used elsewhere in a similar fashion as bone meal maybe?

So, taking a step back here to breathe (or not :P) how would the mechanics work on the actual creation?

Since Bioxx has been using actual constructions such as furnaces, maybe he would think out a way to physically toss things into a pile and they would decay over time in some sort of pit you have to dig and surround with stone/cobble/brick/etc. to contain it. Then it would break as an item (not a block) to be used elsewhere in a similar fashion as bone meal maybe?

Thats pretty much how i envision it, toss like 2/3 dirt, some rotten/fresh food, and maybe something else in and it creates a compost block, kinda like a furnace, cover it and the gui will start the timer.and the compost is only retrievable after breaking it viola compost maker.

maybe to make it into fertilizer you'd add bonemal to the compost?

omg... i just read something awesome... thirst makes you pee... and piss is good in compost... i think i just solved the worlds problem. love wikipedia. but im not sure if bonemeal really fits in anywhere imo.

was just a though as it's already in the game atm

yeah, i just think its a weird item. if i knew more about it, i bet it could fit somewhere. but i also think that compost could also produce loam, a special soil made for growing plants. all it would take is add in some sand to make it loam, it is a real thing

yeah, i just think its a weird item. if i knew more about it, i bet it could fit somewhere. but i also think that compost could also produce loam, a special soil made for growing plants. all it would take is add in some sand to make it loam, it is a real thing

Bonemeal in real life is used mostly for food/medicine products like Gelatin. IIRC.

Bonemeal in real life is used mostly for food/medicine products like Gelatin. IIRC.

i dont feel like it has a place, but it might work for crude foods?

i dont feel like it has a place, but it might work for crude foods?

No I agree with you, it doesn't have much of a place. Fuck Skeletons bro.

Bones and charcoal are very useful in composting, for example, terra preta, a resilient compost found in South America.

[ If I recall, bone is made of phosphorus, and calcium... forgot what makes calcium so hot when it comes to plant nutrition though]

[ It's resilient since it's lasted thousands of years, and is one hell of a compost ]

Yeah bonemeal is actually something used in agriculture quite often.. I am hoping that the bones do not go away, but what they do right now (insta grow) should.. However! I would hope we have a way to regrow tall grass before it goes away completely as this is currently the only thing sheep will eat :D (Tall grass that is).

I think in general a way to make some sort of fertilizer will still be in the game. I like the idea of compost but there is also slag and other minerals in the game that currently have no direct use that you can see are actually often used as fertilizers.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0