Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manningliu

Wood Armor, Sticks Drop Cut Trees and Saw + Plank = Sticks

20 posts in this topic

I have three suggestions: 1. Armor craftable out of wood and string. 2. Sticks dropping from leaves of tree that are cut. 3. make sticks craftable again, but make it require the use of a saw.

1. Wood Armor: make armor made out of wood that uses planks and string

2. Sticks From Chopped Trees: make chopped trees drop sticks depending on how much leaves there are, when a tree falls, the trunk isn't the only thing that falls, you know.

3. Make Sticks Craftable: make sticks craftable but don't do the vannila reciepie, and make it require the use of a saw. but don't have it use the axe, I think you can imagine what it would be like trying to chop a block of wood into sticks with an axe.(sawing planks into sticks)

1. No. It doesn't make any sense and it would ruin balance, use leather armor if you want to use tier -1 armor.

2. Maybe, but that would make the scythe relatively useless. It would have to be at an extremely reduced rate.

3. YES. Again, sticks are currently in high demand and low supply (due to effort required). Don't make them to easy to get, so maybe a reduced rate.

Actually early armor tended to be wood, reed or bone armor. Leather was used but generally they would use bone or since it could take a bit of a beating and easily replaced.

Eventually they started making Metal studded leather armors.And generally only the really rich would have a decent amount of metal armor right up through the medieval era

Well Steve doesn't really have much competition...

Do I feel I new thread coming on?

Actually early armor tended to be wood, reed or bone armor. Leather was used but generally they would use bone or since it could take a bit of a beating and easily replaced.

Eventually they started making Metal studded leather armors.And generally only the really rich would have a decent amount of metal armor right up through the medieval era

that was what I was thinking of, cheaper armor, something to put in your armor slot before you get enough metal for solid plates of metal that make you a walking tank

and maybe wood armor would require leather straps or something simmilar

Wood, cloth or paper armor would all make fine replacements for leather armor.

Sticks dropping from leaf blocks is fine as-is.

If you have ever taken a scythe to a tree then you know that adding in more ways to obtain sticks is unnecessary.

more armor choices would be good, maybe the armor would be upgradable? wood armor could be hardened with fire, metal studs could be added to leather armor, ect.

A first tier armor would be great besides leather. Something that is easier to collect like wood or cloth and gave a little protection. It would be awesome to have something like this for those first days when you're fighting off the night with a campfire and a javelin.

It would also be nice considering how many ingots go into one set of armor. When i play in a group i usually have issues because everyone wants metal armor.

It would also be nice considering how many ingots go into one set of armor. When i play in a group i usually have issues because everyone wants metal armor.

Exactly, when you have a group of people you burn through a lot of metal or cows for armor and tools to supply everyone. Definitely need a weaker cheaper source of armor.

Wood armor took would take far more work leather armor. Native Americans and Feudal Asia were most famous for wood armor although both types were very intricate and would take years to make and mostly decorative not to mention the Asians put metal in most wooden armor as well. I'm assuming the leather making mechanic will be added soon so that helps also. Paper is difficult to make as well and wouldn't offer protection either. If cloth armor is referring to wool that's called "clothes" and offers almost no protection and serves no decorative purpose as you can already change your skin. As for bone armor, I can find no evidence of this actually being used except in Skyrim and WoW I would like to see your research on that. Reed armor is the only one that makes sense bamboo can be used as armor and has been (Japan) although it still does not provide as much protection as leather armor.

Edit: Found a couple other people talking about paper armor however most of the communities quickly would dismiss the idea like I am doing now.

Paper is usable and effective-ish, but to get to that point it needs layers. I'm talking like a stack of 64 paper for each 1 piece of leather in normal armor recipes. Probably would have to be several pieces of paper crafted together, crafting several ofthe resulting item together, repeating process a couple times, then you get 1 unit that can be used in armor recipes. Probably would have to throw in a lot of adhesive or string sewn in as well.

Actually that would be a good reason to have reed farms besides plans and the occasional cake.

I'm waiting for the thread to evolve to the point where I can get eternal to come kill it with me.

I'm going to finish before he posts. :ph34r: Leather armor will be redone be patient it will be far more accessible. Paper armor = more trouble than its worth. Reed armor = armor tier -2 and would still take as much effort to produce as it would with leather so therefore it wouldn't serve much of a purpose.

I'm waiting for the thread to evolve to the point where I can get eternal to come kill it with me.

That's fairly hostile.

I think fred da kiko made a fairly reasonable argument for the need of lower tier armors. People want armor. If there is a lot of people in a server, it puts a large strain on metal supply.

Edit: Just a few seconds late it seems =P

Than wrap yourself in paper mache :P . But seriously almost all armors require metal and those that don't are irrelevant by Steves point. We could put in an armor like wood or bamboo but their only purpose would be if you needed a little protection and didn't want to use metal. They would still be super time consuming and would provide very little protection.

That's fairly hostile.

I think fred da kiko made a fairly reasonable argument for the need of lower tier armors. People want armor. If there is a lot of people in a server, it puts a large strain on metal supply.

Edit: Just a few seconds late it seems =P

Actually I was ready to take a flying double-kick leap onto this thread's curbside head while wearing a pair of crampons, but Bsb kindly slit its throat while I was tying them up, so I don't even really need to anymore. He's said what needed to be said - this is more trouble than it's worth, and leather armor is getting a rework anyway so it's best to not even bother.

edit:

I also love how I'm now well-known enough around here that people not only know me but expect me

Actually I was ready to take a flying double-kick leap onto this thread's curbside head while wearing a pair of crampons, but Bsb kindly slit its throat while I was tying them up, so I don't even really need to anymore. He's said what needed to be said - this is more trouble than it's worth, and leather armor is getting a rework anyway so it's best to not even bother.

edit:

I also love how I'm now well-known enough around here that people not only know me but expect me

I hadn't heard anything official about the different leather working, only that some people posted ideas. If that's true then yeah paper/reeds/wood/etc armor is kind of unneeded.

Also, EternalUndeath you post in everything. It would be weirder for you to not pop up somewhere eventually. Not that that's a bad thing.

I hadn't heard anything official about the different leather working, only that some people posted ideas. If that's true then yeah paper/reeds/wood/etc armor is kind of unneeded.

Also, EternalUndeath you post in everything. It would be weirder for you to not pop up somewhere eventually. Not that that's a bad thing.

o_o I told everyone I was going on vacation...

If any armor stats like speed or agility level are implemented, wood would make pretty good tier 1 heavy armor.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0