Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deez

Too many sticks!

10 posts in this topic

Holy crap I have a butt load of sticks. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should do with them?

I wish we could bundle them for efficient storage. :(

Edited by Deez

I always find it a bit amusing whenever this topic comes up, just because I'm one of the players that honestly never has enough sticks.

More uses for sticks has been discussed a lot in the past, and the key counter-argument is that your excess of sticks is entirely based on your playstyle. I myself, even after having an established home and a large tree farm, am actually constantly running out of sticks. Here's a list of all the things that I use sticks for, that actually eats them up quite quickly:

• Tool Handles - For things like hammers, knives, hoes for tilling a large farm, spindles for wool, and even shovels if I don't have a metal one already made, I usually make a bunch of stone tools over making a single metal one.
  • Fire Starters - We usually keep a double chest of firestarters next to the forge, and next to our charcoal pit area, mainly because we haven't gotten to wrought iron yet to make a flint & steel.
  • Bow & Arrows - The bow is my weapon of choice with the exception of a mace for skeletons. A lot of times I don't bother going to pick up the arrows if the mobs are far away, because its so cheap to just make more.
  • Signs - I label everything! Especially on a private multiplayer server.. I have to have a sign on just about all the things in order to keep some sort of organization when playing with messy boys.
  • Ladders - Every time I come across a new stone layer, I dig straight down to do a core sample to see what stone type is in all three layers. This comes in handy later when searching for specific ores, or a specific rock to build with. On average it usually takes a stack and a half (64+32) ladders in order to get all the way down to the bottom layer.. Thats 224 sticks, or 3.5 stacks of sticks.. just for a single tunnel down (Please double check my math).
  • Item Frames - Once we have a good leather supply going, I usually switch out my signs with item frames in the storage room.
  • Paintings - Because I like pretty pictures on the walls of my massive house.
  • Fishing Rods - For those rare cases when we screwed up somehow, and food is tight.
  • Torches - Light up all the things! I keep at least a vessel full of torches (4 stacks) with me when exploring, mainly for if I come across a cave.
  • Firepits - A quick and cheap way to heat up my meals when I'm out exploring
  • Rails - We haven't progressed this far yet, but eventually there will be a lot of rails going back and forth to the mines and such.

I'd be pretty happy if someone made a bundle of stick mod. Maybe have it so it can be used in fire pits and shit with like half the burn time as logs.

Think about how often you actually use fire pits though. Once you've got a grill it's very likely that you will rarely ever use a fire pit again, and it's usually at that point in progression where players have large tree farms for charcoal production and might have the major excess of sticks. I doubt players are going to go back to cooking food one piece at a time just so that they can use up some sticks.

One other idea for using sticks is to install Carpenters blocks. You will use tons of sticks and it makes building anything a lot easier and nice.

I love using carpenter's blocks for scaffolding, and the fact that I can build with cobble. 

Also it makes using stairs and slabs a lot easier.

I'm very much with kittychanley here. Sticks is my #1 required resource. The majority of my playtime goes into obtaining sticks. I can never have enough sticks.

If you don't want them, can I have them? :D

After messing around with many tree types in different wood farm configurations (see other thread), i collected several double chests containing stacks of sticks. To me, they are mostly useful as ladders and torches. 

EDIT: Yes, the compulsive torching up of everything cannot be stopped :D

Edited by Terex

I ended up installed carpenter blocks, it's a great way to reduce the amount that I had. Now my main problem is what to do with all this dirt I have after terraforming my village...

A little OCD myself, I use to have the same problem.

Terraforming everything and hoarding the dirt. End up with so many chests full of dirt is not even funny.

Solution is 2 parts:

First install Decorations and use dirt to create mud bricks, they are beautiful and very decorative.

Second make a conscious effort to build following the natural terrain, I know is hard since I have the same struggle,  but the rewards are worth. Your buildings will have a much more natural look and feel. Build stairs and bridges, go around and up and down.

I can never have enough sticks. I tend to use up many, many sticks by making ladders.