Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

36 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, ThaMarauder said:

Perhaps npcs could teleport to other descovered villages to reduce lag?

If I'm hiring npcs to help me around my place, I don't want them teleporting away.  I want them working!   The problems of lag occurs - as I understand it - when a server has lots of players on, and each player has dozens of npcs (counting farm animals - they all use processor power) within range of them, all doing pathfinding, using processor power.  Probably not an issue in single player.  But In larger servers I guess it can be a problem.   It would probably not be a problem if, via order or server setting, the npcs could be made to not walk around, in cases where they don't need to.  

10 hours ago, ThaMarauder said:

And as for cultures blending it could benefit the players town by mixing ideas and perhaps other religions and the technology of the other culture could mix with your technology.

But that's the thing, what would these 'other ideas' be?  In current TFC the player already knows everything just by reading the wiki.  They don't need anyone else to tell them things.  So how would an idea exchange be portrayed/enforced?  There's no mechanics in TFC1, nor have I seen one proposed for TFC2, that would simulate such a thing.  It might be more feasible if certain recipes were randomized.  I have myself suggested a certain degree of randomization in alchemy and magic.  If those made it into the game I could see perhaps the player learning formulas from npcs.  I think randomization of anvil recipes would not be a popular thing.  Overall I'm just not seeing this notion bringing a lot to the game, within the known framework.

*IF* there were some kind of points based tech tree, then we could introduce something like in the Civilization games where a new culture wcould give you a tech boost.  Similarly, the new culture might give you the 'plans' to make a new item before you have 'discovered' it.  This might be the only way you can get certain special tools, etc.

e.g. 1 - you're  working your way through the early part of the game, but don't yet know that you can make rope from jute fibres - you only know how to ge tthe fibres and how to make them into crude cloth.  You encounter a new culture and they 'tell you' how you can weave the fibres (possibly on a special jig) to make rope.

e.g. 2 - (To cross-fertilize with another thread) - You've progressed to making all kinds of metal tools, including a pickaxe and shovel - The new culture comes along and shows you how you can make this snazzy combined tool called a mattock...

Edited by ChunkHunter

Some of this seems like way more of a headache than it'd be worth...but, if NPCs were added, they wouldn't need to be built from scratch. While they wouldn't fit in their current state, vanilla NPCs would be a good base; working crops, pathing, village expansion basics and trade are all built into them.

If say they were re-introduced with re-balanced trades and new models/textures, maybe with more region-based building variations, they could fit the mod nicely.

Villagers building structures is entirely possible. There's even a server plugin capable of creating NPCs that do so, if they have the blueprint of course; a mod would definitely be able to do it.
But...would it be worth it? Villagers building your camp would take the 'Craft' part out of the game. While some people might like it, I think it'd actually make the game get stale more quickly, if you end up seeing nothing but the same few buildings in the same style throughout your world.

I like the Idea of NPCs in TFC, altough I also like the "first touched by humans" feel of Exploring in the game.

To make interaction with NPCs a limited part of game progression is a good way to balance it, I think, and does not necessarily destroy this feeling.

So, for example, trading/conquering/.. could be the final prerequisite to leave the first island, maybe because you need to get hold of certain, on the first island otherwise unobtainable, ressources/technologies or whatever. This could be made on whatever scale one could want, so you may only have one human mob/trader roaming the island if you dont want your pioneer-feel to be destroyed, or if you like a whole village build around him, with or without expanding behaviour/mechanics, maybe just for flavour and looks. After that, every other island would be uninhabited.

Or, another option, one (or at least not every) of the islands you will visit after leaving your starting island could have human inhabitants you can interact with, maybe just as default hostile "mobs", so you have to conquer the island first to be able to settle there which would require you to be very good prepared for a journey and add difficulty, as well as make it a rare and exciting thing to discover.

So, my general point is, there are dozens of ways to implement it, complex or simple. Its probably not the foremost issue, since you can scale complexity as you will, in this case. But I can imagine that even with a very simplified and limited approach the game can benefit from it quite a bit without spoiling other aspects/distracting too much from developing the more important core TFC-mechanics.

Since technology is all about knowledge, NPC's could be used to solve a gaming mechanic that has always been troublesome.

Instead of limiting the access to better technologies through materials we would be able to limit through actual knowledge.

The idea is that at the start of the game the player would have no knowledge of metals. He would have the crafting grid, but the recipes would not be available to the player.

In the first Island he would make contact with a tribe of NPC's that would have the knowledge of agriculture and pottery. The player them needs to either friend or conquer that tribe to be able to learn from them those technologies.

The game would be challenging, since each Island would have NPC's more evolved than the player. 

I like this last idea (NPCs for technology) - but I think that the player should also be able to make discoveries too.

Perhaps have the NPPCs have a small chance of being able to supply a 'super-version' of the hoe, or mattock or whatever...

Edited by ChunkHunter
clarifying I was talking about the previous post, not the whole idea per se.

I like this idea, however I don't think npcs should be common. Maybe you could run into npcs that are sort of really primitive savages that attack at night and have larger friendly villages be sort of rare and difficult to find. I think finding too many villages and befriending an army of npcs may make you lazy and dependent on them to do your chores and make the game very easily. I think another reason to have villages be rare is because of multiplayer. I feel like in multiplayer servers you sort of replace the idea of npcs because you could band together will other players to form a town and make enemies along the way. Maybe there could be an option to turn these npcs on and off when creating a world? Similar to how there is a generate structures option in vanilla minecraft.

I previously though that NPCs were a good idea... But now I think we shold focus on multyplayer mechanics.

I like the Ancient Warfare Mod NPCs: They can be used for automation of tedious things.

I think that perhaps their should be rare colonies of indigenous people with differing technology, the more advanced the village the rarer it is. If you trade with the people you can befriend them and hire them, though the cost would prevent this from being too op. If you kill the leader of the village and other people who willingly fought you, you can enslave the people, but the slaves have to be fed, watered, and housed, if not treated really well they will revolt and try to kill the player who enslaved them and possibly steal items

Was pondering the concept of a world starting with no npcs, but having the possibility of attracting villagers to a hamlet by crafting a totem pole for the settlement.  Each block on the limited height totem would reflect a profession, with perhaps some form of stockpile at its base that the NPCs would add/draw resources to/from.  By adding an allegiance block to the totem, you could also web them together to form bigger towns or realms.  This could in turn lead to surplus and shortage at given hamlets, so leading to trade opportunities for players between them.  That said, just thinking through now, could probably do that just as easily as a plugin or companion mod rather than incorporate into the main, but figured I'd put the idea out there anyway.