Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
PhineasWynd

Sounds

13 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum? yes - I hope that multiple sounds is ok with rule 5. It would be silly to make a new thread for each new sound, no?

With the advent of Tricky as the new sound editor (a hearty welcome to you, sir), this is a thread to brainstorm and suggest new sounds for TerraFirmaCraft. I will curate the suggestions from the replies, as well as adding my own ideas.

Please note that we are not directing our suggestions here toward Tricky, as he works directly for Bioxx only.

Suggestions:

Ambient Sounds:

• Winds whooshing at higher y coords - CFLPlayer
  • Ocean/beach noises that feather out as you get further away from the biome - BigTurtles
  • Underwater sounds when underwater
  • Dripping sounds in caves
  • Locust/cicada sound when above a certain temperature - Darmo
  • Jungle noises in Jungle biomes - Darmo
  • Echos in caves / stony areas - earthboundflyer
  • Occasional splashing noises when near water - Adamu82
  • Occasional "clump of snow falling from branches" sounds when there's snow on the ground - Adamu82
  • Creaking ice - Adamu82

Animal Sounds:

• Birds chirping
  • Squirrels chittering - Adamu82
  • Wolf howls (especially when it's a full moon) - Adamu82

Player/Action Sounds:

• Splashing when walking in water
  • A more intense brushes/leaves thrashing/sticks breaking sound when the player is moving through leaf blocks - Darmo
  • Loom noise - Darmo
  • Chipping sounds to go with knapping
  • Scraping sounds to go with hide making
  • Chisel noise when smoothing stone - Darmo
  • Panting noises when the player gets effects from lack of food or water - Donjons

Music:

• Action music for action time - Miner239

Suggestions that are likely to happen are in red.

Edited by PhineasWynd

The crickets thing we already have.    I'd suggest:

-A sort of locust/cicada sound when the ambient temperature reaches a certain temperature or above, maybe 30C. 

-Jungle noises near Kapoks and Acacias

-A more intense brushes/leaves thrashing/sticks breaking sound when the player is moving through leaf blocks.  Especially jungle ones.

-Loom noise

-Chisel noise when smoothing stone

Action music for action time? Sorta like Left 4 Dead's dynamic music.

EDIT: Javelin throwing noise and crop planting noise.

Edited by Miner239

Panting noises when the player gets effects from lack of food or water?

Just wanted to share some results. These will likely happen short term, so you might want to look out for them short term in any upcoming releases:

• Chipping sounds to go with knapping
  • Scraping sounds to go with hide making
  • Chisel noise when smoothing stone

As for long term, it entirely depends on my workload in the coming weekends and what Bioxx agrees with. We'll just have to see how it works out.

there are already add-ons or mods that do those things. Matmos do that.

Matmos sounds amazing, def gonna try that out later, but I wonder if it's compatible with TFC? Having aounds like that without having to jerry-rig another mod to

fit would be ideal.

Bird songs would be amazing to have, as well as:

1) squire chittering and random rustling from leaves/bushes.

2) random wolf howls (espically when it's a full moon!)

3) random splashing noise when near water ("was that a fish?")

4) occasional "clump of snow falling from branches" sounds when there's snow on the ground.

5) creaking ice

Really I can go on,but anything to make the world feel more "alive" can only be a plus.

Just an update for the above comment: I've since installed Matamos in my TFC modpack and sure enough I had to add the TFC item and block id's (such as TFC's different dirt, sand, and stone blocks)  to get it to work and I'm only about 60% done (there are a lot of items!) but so far it works amazingly! I don't think I can ever go back to playing any Minecraft with the amazing soundscape that Matmos provides! The code seems relatively simple and I don't think It'd be that hard to implement into the core TFC mod (but maybe not). 

I have found a couple issues with compatibility though:

1)Matmos doesn't recognize the seasons:

Vanilla MC doesn't have seasons so Matmos doesn't know, for example, whether it's summer or winter. So you get mosquito and frogs sounds at same time ponds         and lakes are covered in ice!

2) The health, oxygen and hunger bars for TFC don't work right:

Matmos makes crumbling stomach noises when your hunger bar is low and heartbeat noises when your health is low, but it doesn't quite work with TFC's increased            values for these mechanics. Matmos also makes drowning noises when your oxygen bar is depleted (as well as "gasping for breathe" noises

when you come up for air). However the oxygen-depend noises doesn't seem to work in vanilla either, which is probably due to the Matmos version for MC 1.7.10

being a beta that was never completed by either the original developer or by the person who updated it to work as a resource pack for 1.7.10.

There are a few other minor issues as well that are too numerous to go into. The point I'm making is that a jerry-rigged soundscape is good, but not the best it could be.

An integrated soundscape for TFC2 would not only add a much needed vibrancy to the game (which the vanilla could use as well) but also make it stand out from other mods even more than it already does!

here are a couple more sound suggestions: (many of these could also apply to vanilla minecraft too, i am aware of that)

timber sound for cutting down trees (when the tree actually falls)

sound for volcanic eruptions (if they (and them erupting) are added-volcanoes are suggested here:http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8581-volcanoes/)

sound for crafting (maybe even depending on the item-although this might get complicated quickly)

shell shock/ear ringing right after taking damage from an explosion

sound for tool/weapon unsheathing (in matzos already, but would be cool in base TFC)

sound for quenching hot metal item in a barrel

sound for lighting torches

damage sound based on armor type (might get a bit complex)- i.e. no armor could be normal sound, but leather could have a cutting sound as well, and metal would have a clanging sound-this would not replace normal damage sound, simple play on top of it

I feel that the Terrafirmacraft soundtrack, while very nice, becomes repetitive rather quickly. I believe adding some new tracks into it could help the game become much more varied.

Feel free to submit other soundtrack related ideas here or to tell if this a repeat suggestion. Thank you!

Edited by CoolJosef5505

Mm, I find myself either turning off the music after a while and playing something of my own, or trying to find a way to add more music. Does get that repetitive feeling pretty quickly. Fitting music, just...yea.
To be fair, the vanilla soundtrack somewhat suffers from the same feeling, though less so since the additions a while back.

While more variety would be nice, smoother intros and outros could also lessen the feeling.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow