Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
__shaggy

Hostile mobs

Hostile mobs.   15 members have voted

1. 1. I want hostile mobs (mobs that spawn around your area to hunt you down)

• to be ONLY the fantasy mix of: zombies, skeletons, spiders, creepers. (+new monsters)
    • to be ONLY realistic mobs: bears, coyotes, wolves, cougars, tigers, jaguars, mountain lions, ETC.
    • to be a EVEN MIX between realistic and fantasy mobs
    • to be a mix between RARE fantasy mobs, and abundant realistic mobs

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Hostile mobs.

Hostile mobs are one on the key aspects of gameplay.

*acquire materials

*explore

*build tools and buildings

*fend off mobs

by "hostile mobs" i refer to only the antagonist mobs that naturally spawn around you to hunt you down, like zombies,spiders e.t.c

not npc's that can be hostile when attacked

Realistic mobs

has anyone else grown tired of the standard issue mobs? a goofy pack of mix matched monsters.

these monsters seem extremely out of place in the immersive and realistic tfc.

my proposal is to ditch all the current hostile mobs such as

*zombie

*skeletons

*spiders 

*creepers

and switch to realistic mobs (preferably biome based) such as

*wolves

*bears

*coyotes

*jaguars

*mountain lions

*tigers

*bob cats

*hyenas 

*lions

*sharks 

and even humans (tribal and or civilized humans)

some of the mobs would sleep on day and hunt by night. they would still attack you if you go too close and defend themselves during the daytime,  but would actively hunt you by night time.

a minecraft clone named "survivalcraft" did a only realistic mob approach and it looked great. the creator however didnt add biome based spawning at the time and you had giraffes right next to bears which didnt looks so realistic haha. 

Also there is the option for expanding non vanilla fantasy mobs.

Opinions?

Edited by __shaggy

why not, we're all tired of vanilla mobs anyway. I think bioxx already know that, he worked on bisons recently.

He already works on that direction I think.

https://twitter.com/TFC_Bioxx

Something to consider is how this would change the game balance.  It's all well and good to say one wants realistic mobs only.  However if that's the case, now you have no skeletons, so no missile weapon mobs.  No creepers, so no scary explosions.  Just a bunch of beasts with melee skills, easily dealt with once the player has a bow.  You'd basically sacrifice challenge for realism.  Unless these realistic mobs are faster than the player.  Which probably would not be as fun as some people might think. 

That said, if you read some of Bioxx's past posts, it's pretty clear that things are headed toward having a combination of natural and 'civilized' mobs, and by 'civilized' I mean something that forms tribes or nations, and can use tools and missile weapons.  Could be humans, could be orcs, could be something else.  I'm hoping there's a variety of fantasy 'civilized' races.  Presumably all these civs would have variants with missile weapons.  So basically I'm guessing you'll see undead replaced with humans, orcs, or the like.   I'd suggest adding to the poll 'lots of natural and humanoid mobs'.  Because that's probably where it's headed.

As for creepers, I'm not sure how they may or may not fit in.  I could easily see them being replaced with like, little goblins that sneak up and hit the player with an explosive keg, or poison potion, or something.

nice! I haven't read those posts about civilized mobs. that is cool.

Edited by landryx

Something to consider is how this would change the game balance.  It's all well and good to say one wants realistic mobs only.  However if that's the case, now you have no skeletons, so no missile weapon mobs.  No creepers, so no scary explosions.  Just a bunch of beasts with melee skills, easily dealt with once the player has a bow.  You'd basically sacrifice challenge for realism.  Unless these realistic mobs are faster than the player.  Which probably would not be as fun as some people might think. 

That said, if you read some of Bioxx's past posts, it's pretty clear that things are headed toward having a combination of natural and 'civilized' mobs, and by 'civilized' I mean something that forms tribes or nations, and can use tools and missile weapons.  Could be humans, could be orcs, could be something else.  I'm hoping there's a variety of fantasy 'civilized' races.  Presumably all these civs would have variants with missile weapons.  So basically I'm guessing you'll see undead replaced with humans, orcs, or the like.   I'd suggest adding to the poll 'lots of natural and humanoid mobs'.  Because that's probably where it's headed.

As for creepers, I'm not sure how they may or may not fit in.  I could easily see them being replaced with like, little goblins that sneak up and hit the player with an explosive keg, or poison potion, or something.

At first I was really liking the idea of having only realistic mobs, but after reading your comment I realized that a combination would make more sense.

One other aspect to consider is the day/night cycle. Traditionally we are used to having to hide in the night time, because that's when the mobs come out.

Maybe a solution would be to have some mobs sleep on day and hunt by night. they would still attack you if you go too close and defend themselves,  but would actively hunt you by night time.

nice! I haven't read those posts about civilized mobs. that is cool.

Well, I don't want to be starting rumors.  I don't know that Bioxx ever specifically guaranteed those.  But he's stated that you'll have to 'conquer' an island before building on it - to me conquering carries connotations of fighting a semi-civilized and organized group.  He's worked on dungeon generation.   This post is pretty relevant.  There Bioxx said it 'may' be a fortress.  To me fortress implies a tool working civilization that built it.  Whether or not that is who/what is living in it now is another question.   And even earlier, Bioxx stated here that TFC2 is open to fantasy elements, which is why I think that orcs etc could be in play.  I'm kind of making assumptions based on those and other discussions.  You know what they say about assumptions.  But it would seem that the options are at least worth having in the poll, if you want the poll to be representative of the full range of possibilities.

True, however if you lowered the attack strength of the player it will be realistic. 

Lowering the attack of the player is key

how likely is it that you could single handedly bring down a grizzly with a bow and a few arrows? (have you seen "the revenant"? Leonardo DiCaprio didn't do so well even with a gun haha)

how about a lion? who would be able to easily kill a lion by themselves? (unless you're a dentist with a gun lol)

as for your needs for skeletons and creepers. a human mob would cover both of those, being able to equip bows, spears, even tnt.

seeing a bear shouldnt be a "oh let me run around this bear" as it would be in tfc1

seeing a bear would be how it would be in real life, holy SH*%T!  I dont think ill be able to survive this.

a mob like wolves however would be easy to kill one with a few swings of a sword, unless they were in a large pack.

Maybe a solution would be to have some mobs sleep on day and hunt by night. they would still attack you if you go too close and defend themselves,  but would actively hunt you by night time.

exactly what i was going for :)

Thats how it is in nature.

Edited by __shaggy

Well if you're allowing for missile-using humans, fine.  But your poll did not make that clear.  It basically made it sounds like you were offering options between existing 'normal' mc mobs and animal mobs.  It did not acknowledge the possibility of humans or fantasy mobs (though I see you did add human tribes/civs to the list below the poll), which I think should be an option, if you want to cover all the options.  Personally I'd like it to be a large variety of animal, human, and fantasy mobs, with the 'normal' undead stuff being still present where appropriate (crypts, necromancer army, etc).  The human(oid) stuff should be easy, since the model is already there and can use the same weapons and armor as the player and just needs some skins. 

To me the ideal would be if each island had a variety of animal mobs as appropriate, but also some sort of civ, and that is who the player must defeat to gain control of the island.  Animal mobs will be a big threat on the tier 0 islands, but will reduce in threat level as the player moves out and gets better armor and weapons, though huge animals like bison would always be something of a threat.  But the player could also possibly tame them, as opposed to the controlling civ.  The civs would scale in increasing threat and would be the player's main opponents.  And it would be awesome if each island had a random pick from a variety of different civs. Human, orc, elf, goblin could be among the early choices.  Later choices could include those same ones, just more hp and better armor, but maybe also trolls, giants, and more deadly civs that you don't see at low tier islands.  A high tier island could be overrun with necromancers, and instead of natural animals they would be undead versions, plus lots of zombies and skeletons, ghouls, etc. 

Now yes, it would also be great if there were a config the player could toggle, to have only non-magical humans and natural mobs, for people that are into that.   But I see no reason to limit the possibilities to just 'natural' stuff.

Well if you're allowing for missile-using humans, fine.  But your poll did not make that clear.  It basically made it sounds like you were offering options between existing 'normal' mc mobs and animal mobs.  

sorry for the confusion i edited it a bit to clarify that by normal mc, I mean fantasy. and included in the poll that fantasy means normal mc mobs and or new fantasy mobs created.

your ideas are also great.

yet we still are unclear the direction the devs are taking fantasy/ realistic/ or both.