Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Dirty Weegie

Fishing nets and crab pots

6 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Seeing as most of my settlements are near large bodies of water I think expanding on fishing could be a nice early game way of getting food. A few examples that could be implemented..

1) Fishing nets could be thrown into the water with a % chance of catching a fish. For balance the nets would need to be repaired after every 10 throws or so.

2) Lobster or crab pots that are placed on the seabed baited with a fish. The deeper the pot is placed the better chance of catching a crab. Crabs would have to be worth more food than a fish as you lose the fish when the crab is caught. Also the crab pots need to be repaired after every catch, this means that alot of work needs to go into catching crabs but the pay off is a good source of food.

3) Underwater sand when dug gives a percent chance to drop oysters. These would have a small amount of food but can be eaten raw.

I rarely do any fishing in TFC but I think with these additions it could become a fun early game mechanic for gathering food.

DW

Agreed, these are all things that I've been planning to look into at some point.

Yay! for those of us who love the challenge of a difficult seed :)

I'd like to add about the shellfish:

Could a new "ore" be added, that instead of stone, it has sand, and the ore is actually shellfish! The razor shell lives buried in the sand on beaches all around the world. Clam would be found on gravel at beaches, much like rocks are on grass.

Limpets could be found on stone blocks that randomly generate in the sea shores (ahem), and oysters commonly form reefs (reeves?), some very massive.

Mussels can be found in both fresh and salty water on sand blocks, like rocks on grass, again.

Breaking a seaweed with a net (a handheld tool to be implemented) you have a chance to get shrimp, as they often dwell withing the slimy branches.

I remember when I was little, my aunt who lived near the sea, used to pluch a branch of bladderwrack and stick it in a jar. Soon, a whole Zoo of aquatic critters emerged.

Crayfish cages can be very easily fashioned from sticks and cordage on day one, and stuck in both oceans, ponds, rivers and lakes.

This brings us to water lilies. The bulbous pods of the yellow variety can be fermented and used as corn, and the rhizomes of both species can be dug out and eaten. They have a mild potato or turnip flavour, and come in large quantities.

Edited by gxblt

I really like this idea. The oysters could be a good way to get protein early on in the game.

I'd like to add about the shellfish:

Could a new "ore" be added, that instead of stone, it has sand, and the ore is actually shellfish! The razor shell lives buried in the sand on beaches all around the world. Clam would be found on gravel at beaches, much like rocks are on grass.

Limpets could be found on stone blocks that randomly generate in the sea shores (ahem), and oysters commonly form reefs (reeves?), some very massive.

Mussels can be found in both fresh and salty water on sand blocks, like rocks on grass, again.

Breaking a seaweed with a net (a handheld tool to be implemented) you have a chance to get shrimp, as they often dwell withing the slimy branches.

I remember when I was little, my aunt who lived near the sea, used to pluch a branch of bladderwrack and stick it in a jar. Soon, a whole Zoo of aquatic critters emerged.

Crayfish cages can be very easily fashioned from sticks and cordage on day one, and stuck in both oceans, ponds, rivers and lakes.

This brings us to water lilies. The bulbous pods of the yellow variety can be fermented and used as corn, and the rhizomes of both species can be dug out and eaten. They have a mild potato or turnip flavour, and come in large quantities.

Thanks for the info gxblt, all good ideas :)