Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Andeerz

Questions Regarding the New Block Physics Demo

31 posts in this topic

This whole is going to turn into Poly Bridge really fast ;'-))

On 31/7/2016 at 8:15 AM, EndR20 said:

This whole is going to turn into Poly Bridge really fast ;'-))

Ahahah yep, I love that.

Speaking of poly bridge...

Bioxx, are we looking at hanging support at all? I know I would like to be able to use some form of block to hang things for scaffolding (Say, a block somwhat like a reverse support beam) which would allow a window washer's/painter's scaffold to be created?

Hung scaffolds are (as is made apparent by IRL usage) insanely useful for bridge work and maintenance and I would love to see them in TFC, especially since excavating mountainsides is currently an affair of "Pillar up or find another vein"

This would of course necessitate a later tier if you ask me which includes heavy-duty ropes for hanging things... maybe spools? :P

(Note sarcasm above)

That being said, I would like to see rope and other flexible strands of material having more uses in TFC2, if it's at all possible. Mainly though, I would love to see the ability to use hanging support so that we can do things like the good old fashioned underslung walkway without interfering with the beautiful arches on our own rendition of TFC London Bridge! XD

Hopefully with less of the falling down

I am just thinking out loud here. This is a search tree problem. so H being horizontal supports and V being vertical supports. One could breadth first search to find all H that have a V and throw them into a list. As long as you don't have an empty list you could consider the first block supported. Then at that point during the next random tick one could then perform the same action with all the blocks in the list but then lets say you have a pyramid going from the world height to bedrock. You'll have tons of checks which only a high end graphics card can handle very well. So instead of following all blocks in the list lets just pick one at random and repeat the process which is very computationally friendly. If we never get rid of a list that means we have horizontal support distance times max height blocks stored at worse which isn't horrible. I think that you only need to keep track of the last list which would be 2(2H+1)^2 at worse case which is quite small. That pattern continues till we hit bedrock. 

That takes care of placing blocks but you need a slightly different formula for subtracting blocks. For subtracting blocks you need to take the immediate H neighbors stick them in a queue and V neighbors in another queue. From there starting with the H neighbors queue repeat the steps from the first paragraph. If they end up with an empty list then do the same as you did with the first block in this paragraph and add the neighbors to the two queues making sure the same block doesn't get added to the H queue twice, then have that block fall. Eventually you'll go through the H neighbors which will be (2H+1)^2 at max. Because no two blocks can have the same block above them and you checked for duplicates in the H queue, you are guaranteed each block in the V queue is unique and at the same level. Starting with the 1st V in the V queue you repeat the same steps with the first layer but with two new queues. This time you need check to see if any of the new H neighbors are in the old V queue or the new H queue and remove them from the queues before adding the H neighbors to the new H queue. Using this method each layer below falls before the layer above gets calculated. Which means you'll have at most (2VH+1)^2 queue'd which can become quite massive but unless people are collapsing upside down pyramids it'll never be that bad.

Now this does provide for some very silly things such as an infinite half arch. To solve that you need weights on H distance and V distance using straightest path to bedrock. It gets more complicated when you consider blocks having different weights and is more detail than 90% of the people playing are going to appreciate. The calculations in the first paragraph don't need to go down to bedrock, they could stop at the first gravity defying block.

Edited by Stroam
pointing out flaws

Any new news about this topic? I loved the video and I want to know if there has been an update or something.

The focus has moved from the physics to world generation, and deciding what and where certain things go. To that end it just comes down to a lot of decisions of what is feasible, what works together, and the feel of the game that Bioxx wants to create.