Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
snaketokill

Zone Based Wildlife

9 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

I have read many ideas around new animals and where they should go and i think i have a perfect way to make those ideas work. Zone based wild life. here's the idea:

all farm animals have a use and each "eco-zone" has it's own animals for each use. I've made a general name for the 'class' of animal and added large as a class (large animals)

Milk (normal = cow)

Polar = Yak

sub-polar = Goat

normal = cow

sub-Tropical = Goat (maybe different colour)

Tropical = rhino (I swear it's a thing)

Desert = Llama

Eggs (normal = chicken)

Polar = penguin

sub-polar = penguin (make them be smaller here)

normal = chicken

sub-Tropical = chicken (i have no idea what should go here so jut spit balling)

Tropical = kiwi

Desert = Ostrich (this is a thing as well)

Wool (normal = sheep)

Polar = nearly every mammal can make wool here

sub-Polar = Ram (bigger light footed sheep)

normal = sheep

sub-Tropical = sheep

tropical = wilder beast ( or something )

Desert = alpaca

tame meat (normal = pig)

Polar = musk-ox

sub-polar = boar

normal = pig

sub-tropical = boar

tropical = boar

desert = boar

Dog (normal = wolf)

Polar = wolf

sub-Polar = wolf

normal = wolf

sub-tropical = wolf (most likely something better)

tropical = wolf (please find better)

desert = jackal

Cat (normal (vanilla) = ocelot)

Polar = sabre-toothed tiger (because we seem to be in the correct time frame)

sub-polar = Linx

normal = ocelot (i think we can change this for something like a tom-cat)

sub-tropical = ocelot

tropical = tiger (non sabre-tooth)

desert = please think of something cool

game (normal = deer)

Polar = moose

sub-polar = elk

normal = deer

sub-tropical = please comment

tropical = please comment

desert = please comment

bird (normal = pheasant)

please discuss this area

Large (large is a new class with big tameable/ridable pack animal that is very strong)

Polar = Mammoth ( i have another rarely seen post on this)

sub-polar = please speak

normal = please

sub-tropical = elephant

tropical = larger elephant

desert = please

Bears/pest (normal = bear)

Polar = polar bear

sub-polar = grizzly

normal = black bear

sub-tropical = please chose

tropical = please

desert = no clue

i understand there are horses and i have nothing on ideas other than in tropical add zebras and camels in desert (dromedary's in the case of desert donkeys)  sorry im new to this and don't know how to spoiler

Well thought out suggestion there.  I'd say maybe don't feel like you absolutely have to have one animal of every type in every 'zone'.  There could be areas with missing potential I think, to mix things up.  It's probably not necessary to shoehorn an animal into every circumstance.  That said:

CLIMATE ZONES

Your inclusion of desert as it's own distinct area actually opens up an interesting topic I've been wondering about for awhile.  We know that the plan is for there to be 5 climatic zones (none of which is specifically desert).  I think this is a very good idea, as it will allow a given island to have a somewhat uniform ecology, presumably without the annoying straight lines of acacia forest borders.  But moreover, within a given climate zone, could there in effect be 'biome' islands?  What I mean by this, is by having distinct islands, you could open up the tropical zone for instance, to have jungle, savanna, and desert islands.  I know TFC1 was strongly against the notion of flora and fauna biomes, preferring to mark them instead for temperature and geographic conditions.  But it might be interesting if one island was predominantly savanna, and another predominantly jungle.  And especially predominantly desert, since they seem to be so rare in the current version of TFC.  In the temperate latitudes, there could be for instance an 'asia' themed island, with bamboo and pandas.  Further on, a temperate steppes area with yaks.  Such island biomes could have specific sets of plants and animals to choose from, different from other biomes.   So one set of temperate steppes might have yak as a native species, while another may have bison.  Same latitude, but different fauna selection, similar to how right now any given area has 3 native trees to select from.  This might bring more interesting variety.  And of course an island doesn't have to be all steppes or all forest or all swamp, that'd be boring.  But they might be heavily predisposed toward a given geography - for instance a 'swamp island' might not be allowed to have mountains, instead being twice as likely to have swamp, and a more pronounced likelihood of willows.   But a given island at a given latitude will have a table for each biome that can be present there, and a specific selection of plants and animals, perhaps drawn to from a theme.  This may become more pronounced with the introduction of fantasy elements.  For instance a heavily swamp island might be populated with a lizard race.

Or maybe that's too complicated.  I guess the same effect could perhaps be achieved by assigning an island a certain range of rainfall.  So an island that lands in the 100-500 rainfall range will be very likely to produce desert over much of it's surface, while an island in the 2000-8000 range will have no chance of desert, and instead morel likely to have swamps and forests.

ANIMALS

Now as for animals themselves, I think it would be interesting if there were more gradations of what they provide.  Right now, a cow is a cow.  It gets you one bucket of milk a day.  But I think it would interesting if in TFC2, there would be many varieties of milk giving animals, with varying levels of providing.  So the ideal milk animal would be perhaps a cow or yak.  Depending on genetic variation, maybe they provide anywhere from 500 to 1000 mb a day (in increments of 100).  Second tier milk animals would be goats or camels or such.  They would provide 100-500 mb a day.   By allowing 100mb gradients, you allow for different tiers of milk providers, and also genetic variation within a given species.  There could even be 3 tiers; 100-400, 500-700, and 800-1000.  I think even 3 steps per tier would provide incentive to breed the superior bloodline.  This would of course require buckets to be changed to accept varying amounts of liquid from 100-1000mb. 

This could allow then for some climate zones to have advantages, but not exclusive advantages.   Top tier milk animals could be in certain temperate zones, with lower tier elsewhere.  I could be arranged that any zone which has the potential for top tier milk animals does NOT have the potential for top tier wool animals.  Or it could just be whatever is logical, and maybe the player gets really lucky.  But the idea being to allow for a great variety of milk/wool/feather providing animals (and maybe other types of resources, such as fur?). 

Cats are a desert animal. They're derived from the African Wildcat, Felis Silvestris, and interbreeding with a dozen different local wildcat species.

For the sub-polar large animal I'd recommend Mastodons, which are a different but similar species, or possibly Wooly Rhinos, which would fit better from an era standpoint. For the normal large animal, giant elk. Never mind desert.

Subtropical deer-equivalent would be Kudu; tropical would be Gazelles, and desert would be Antelope.

For the subtropical pest, honey badgers, and for the tropical pest, why not chimpanzees?

Tropical dog-hyena.

Finally, chickens are a tropical species also. Look up Red Jungle Fowl and White Jungle Fowl.

i said kiwi for tropical because i think they are adorable but i totally agree with tropical chickens because i saw some in Colombia.

Next: giant elk, that makes sense. i like the idea of a woolly rhino how ever mastodon, the species is similar to the mammoth and elephant of the other areas.

Finally: if this idea went trough, i wish you could breed similar species for specif traits ex: mastodon and elephant for a normal climate "elephant". also what is the scientific name for the mastodon/mammoth/elephant mammals?

edit: at some point we should make a spread sheet for better understanding (and for the devs)

Edited by snaketokill

Ahem...

Mastodons are the best animal! For some reason, everybody wants to include mammoths and totally ignores mastodons.  :(  They're more short-legged and muscular than mammoths - kinda like rhinos are today, but with, you know, the trunk and tusks. The whole order with mammoths and elephants is called Proboscidae

thanks mate for the support and knowledge

Another cool normal climate large animal would be a Gomphotheriidae as it fits the theme of using elephant like animals in the large class (also means you can slightly re-skin rather than code a new animal shape! i think it would be really cool going around and running into beasts like these!gomphotherium_atavus_by_dibgd-d41pafs.jp

On 22/03/2016, 01:10:50, snaketokill said:

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

I have read many ideas around new animals and where they should go and i think i have a perfect way to make those ideas work. Zone based wild life. here's the idea:

all farm animals have a use and each "eco-zone" has it's own animals for each use. I've made a general name for the 'class' of animal and added large as a class (large animals)

Milk (normal = cow)

Polar = Yak

sub-polar = Goat

normal = cow

sub-Tropical = Goat (maybe different colour)

Tropical = rhino (I swear it's a thing)

Desert = Llama

Eggs (normal = chicken)

Polar = penguin

sub-polar = penguin (make them be smaller here)

normal = chicken

sub-Tropical = chicken (i have no idea what should go here so jut spit balling)

Tropical = kiwi

Desert = Ostrich (this is a thing as well)

Wool (normal = sheep)

Polar = nearly every mammal can make wool here

sub-Polar = Ram (bigger light footed sheep)

normal = sheep

sub-Tropical = sheep

tropical = wilder beast ( or something )

Desert = alpaca

tame meat (normal = pig)

Polar = musk-ox

sub-polar = boar

normal = pig

sub-tropical = boar

tropical = boar

desert = boar

Dog (normal = wolf)

Polar = wolf

sub-Polar = wolf

normal = wolf

sub-tropical = wolf (most likely something better)

tropical = wolf (please find better)

desert = jackal

Cat (normal (vanilla) = ocelot)

Polar = sabre-toothed tiger (because we seem to be in the correct time frame)

sub-polar = Linx

normal = ocelot (i think we can change this for something like a tom-cat)

sub-tropical = ocelot

tropical = tiger (non sabre-tooth)

desert = please think of something cool

game (normal = deer)

Polar = moose

sub-polar = elk

normal = deer

sub-tropical = please comment

tropical = please comment

desert = please comment

bird (normal = pheasant)

please discuss this area

Large (large is a new class with big tameable/ridable pack animal that is very strong)

Polar = Mammoth ( i have another rarely seen post on this)

sub-polar = please speak

normal = please

sub-tropical = elephant

tropical = larger elephant

desert = please

Bears/pest (normal = bear)

Polar = polar bear

sub-polar = grizzly

normal = black bear

sub-tropical = please chose

tropical = please

desert = no clue

i understand there are horses and i have nothing on ideas other than in tropical add zebras and camels in desert (dromedary's in the case of desert donkeys)  sorry im new to this and don't know how to spoiler

This idea perfectly fits me because i feel a little frustrated seeing chicken in the central jungle, maybe perfect for sub-tropics and sheep in the middle of the jungle too!

No ocean zone? I would vote for Dunk to smash anyone daring to cross islands by swimming.