Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
vladthemad

Server Mods/Ideas

6 posts in this topic

Long time lurker, rare poster here. I've been kicking around the idea of hosting a public server for a few years. I've had a VPS up of various versions and mods, but most of my friends tend to get bored after the "Ooooh shiney!" effect of most mods wears off in a few weeks and head off to something else. When we aren't using the server for Minecraft or a different game, it mostly sits idle besides hosting our Teamspeak server.

I'm leaning very close to starting a TFC public server,  I have been thinking about it and brainstorming/testing things since about December. TFC seems to hold people's interest a lot longer than things like FTB, and to be honest I just plain enjoy it. I thought I'd come and ask the TFC community if I were to open it up here, what mods/addons would you like to see? I can get most mods to work alongside TFC I think, as long as they aren't overly complicated. I'm mostly interested in mods that wouldn't change the general gameplay of TFC. Examples of what I'm leaning towards would be mods like Malisis Doors with the Big Doors addon, Mowzie's Mobs, and Animals Plus. Mods I'm up in the air on would be things like Archimedes Plus, Ships Mod, Smart Moving, or Rails of War. Most of these mods only add a few quality of life improvements, faster travel, or ambient life to the world.

So what suggestions does everyone have? What has been tried and hasn't worked? I haven't looked into property protection systems in a long time, what's the best town or faction system out there now?

I enjoy smart moving.
That and the Streams mod for nice flowing rivers :)

small boats look really cool - perhaps without the biggest boat - and using burlap cloth as an option for sails - This mod *will*  require some tweaking of recipes to be able to make it work, and has been reported to cause problems with log files.

This last issue I believe can be addressed by modifying the config file.  Similarly, it has been suggested that the boats are slow - there'also a speed setting in the config.

Can't use small boats sadly, not until the creator returns and fixes it. I think I noted in your thread about moving animals that the boats spam the console, bloating the log and eventually crashing the server. Otherwise I'd be all for it and already have recipes for it saved somewhere...I've used it since it was just the Punt, and even the large ship isn't excessively large.

Not 'my thread' about moving animals ;) , but I do believe that the log spamming is caused by the fact that by default the logging is on maximum - simple config change to fix it.

The longest lasting TFC servers seem to only run TFC. The TFC servers that draw most players also only have TFC installed.

With TFC development halted (critical bug fixes only) and TFC 2 not close to a stable release, a lot of players are moving on to other things. They may or may not return with TFC 2 but right now things are slowing down considerably. Keep that in mind when starting a new server. You won't get 30 players on each night if at all. I only mention this because you seem to be asking what's popular right now. In my opinion you should just go ahead and create the server you like to build. If that's TFC + extra mods, go do that. If you enjoy TFC only, do that. A server you enjoy running is a server that is likely to be run well. Just don't expect to gather a huge crowd right now. Each TFC server is different, even if it only runs TFC. And the more servers the better :)

17 hours ago, ChunkHunter said:

Not 'my thread' about moving animals ;) , but I do believe that the log spamming is caused by the fact that by default the logging is on maximum - simple config change to fix it.

Yeah, tried that, didn't work as I recall. :/

9 hours ago, InsaneJ said:

The longest lasting TFC servers seem to only run TFC. The TFC servers that draw most players also only have TFC installed.

With TFC development halted (critical bug fixes only) and TFC 2 not close to a stable release, a lot of players are moving on to other things. They may or may not return with TFC 2 but right now things are slowing down considerably. Keep that in mind when starting a new server. You won't get 30 players on each night if at all. I only mention this because you seem to be asking what's popular right now. In my opinion you should just go ahead and create the server you like to build. If that's TFC + extra mods, go do that. If you enjoy TFC only, do that. A server you enjoy running is a server that is likely to be run well. Just don't expect to gather a huge crowd right now. Each TFC server is different, even if it only runs TFC. And the more servers the better :)

Player count isn't anything I'm worried about. I wouldn't expect it to be high with TFC. That said, I bring about half a dozen to a dozen friends to begin with. My VPS is already up and running, has been for a long time. I've just never made it available to the public. The only thing I'd need to invest is a bit of time. I've been playing around with the TerrafirmaPack on the AT Launcher, seems to have most of the addons available for TFC. I don't really *need* anything else. Other mods would be quality of life stuff, and honestly could be added later if there was interest.

So, the next question would be what kind of seed to use? :) I have one I'm using for SSP that's forested rolling hills, plains, and swamp on a layer of rocksalt. Salt is a highly useful item! There's also one I just found that was grasslands on marble which wouldn't be too bad for a small starter/spawn town.