Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CFLPlayer

Fully custom forging, a reason to metallurge over magic

2 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

A while ago I set up a private server for myself and 15 close friends that all wanted something new and interesting. I loved tfc and based the entire servers mod list based around it. We enjoyed the core tfc and its more realistic additions but found it lacked the qualities of the fantasy setting we wanted. We dabbled with many mods, one such was armourers workshop, we used this to make our custom swords and armour, giving a personal flair to all our personas. This sparked an idea from a discussion we had one night whilst I was designing a Roman centurion helm.

Tfc1’s tool and weapon crafting system was brilliant. Truly amazing. But I believe items you made could be more personal.

Now I'm not suggesting a tinkers construct replica that does no justice to tfc crafting. I'm suggesting either a purely aesthetic customisable weapon system, or a semi aesthetic system. This would involve an armourer's workshop esc style of creation, except more modular or as a less complex alternative; a customisable system similar to tinkers construct (but in no way as ‘hacky’ or ugly).

The Fully Custom system:

Okay, so this was my first idea based around an armourer’s workshop esc system (for those of you that don't know armourer's workshop allows people to build custom weapon skins that are easily built in the 3d world using paintable blocks and easily applicable to objects)

1. So, with this idea, let's say I want to make a sword, I'd need a cross guard, blade, pommel and hilt. I'd enter another dimension through the means of a planning table, in said dimension, the user can place down a component block; upon placing a laser outline of a set sized box is produced. I build a structure inside the box and return to the component block, each block adding to the complexity of the plan. Once finished, i fly over to the component block that upon right clicking I'll exit the dimension and (presuming I have ink and paper) will have a plan in my hand of how to craft that blueprint, shifting on the item in the hotbar shows the components needed and the plan’s success rate at an anvil (based on your blacksmithing skill). I'd continue this process until I have all the components for a sword. Then once again in the anvil, I forge the blade to the crossguard and hilt to the pommel, then I forge the products of that to create my blade and whala!

Although this system is more complex it offers less limitations.

Idea 2:

This idea is more focused on the tinkers system, where in the player crafts variants of different components to assemble into a weapon or tool that looks aesthetically different to its original counterpart. This system is less complex but limited.

Both ideas would require significantly more time spent blacksmithing though, and in tfc2 where magic will presumably be present, either of these systems may offer a reason to go for metallurgy over magic.

So that's my idea! Hope you enjoyed it, please say if you did! Give feedback and criticize too.

Edited by CFLPlayer

On May 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM, CFLPlayer said:

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

A while ago I set up a private server for myself and 15 close friends that all wanted something new and interesting. I loved tfc and based the entire servers mod list based around it. We enjoyed the core tfc and its more realistic additions but found it lacked the qualities of the fantasy setting we wanted. We dabbled with many mods, one such was armourers workshop, we used this to make our custom swords and armour, giving a personal flair to all our personas. This sparked an idea from a discussion we had one night whilst I was designing a Roman centurion helm.

Tfc1’s tool and weapon crafting system was brilliant. Truly amazing. But I believe items you made could be more personal.

Now I'm not suggesting a tinkers construct replica that does no justice to tfc crafting. I'm suggesting either a purely aesthetic customisable weapon system, or a semi aesthetic system. This would involve an armourer's workshop esc style of creation, except more modular or as a less complex alternative; a customisable system similar to tinkers construct (but in no way as ‘hacky’ or ugly).

The Fully Custom system:

Okay, so this was my first idea based around an armourer’s workshop esc system (for those of you that don't know armourer's workshop allows people to build custom weapon skins that are easily built in the 3d world using paintable blocks and easily applicable to objects)

1. So, with this idea, let's say I want to make a sword, I'd need a cross guard, blade, pommel and hilt. I'd enter another dimension through the means of a planning table, in said dimension, the user can place down a component block; upon placing a laser outline of a set sized box is produced. I build a structure inside the box and return to the component block, each block adding to the complexity of the plan. Once finished, i fly over to the component block that upon right clicking I'll exit the dimension and (presuming I have ink and paper) will have a plan in my hand of how to craft that blueprint, shifting on the item in the hotbar shows the components needed and the plan’s success rate at an anvil (based on your blacksmithing skill). I'd continue this process until I have all the components for a sword. Then once again in the anvil, I forge the blade to the crossguard and hilt to the pommel, then I forge the products of that to create my blade and whala!

Although this system is more complex it offers less limitations.

Idea 2:

This idea is more focused on the tinkers system, where in the player crafts variants of different components to assemble into a weapon or tool that looks aesthetically different to its original counterpart. This system is less complex but limited.

Both ideas would require significantly more time spent blacksmithing though, and in tfc2 where magic will presumably be present, either of these systems may offer a reason to go for metallurgy over magic.

So that's my idea! Hope you enjoyed it, please say if you did! Give feedback and criticize too.

I like this idea, and i would love to see this, but it would also be complex, so you'd have to see if the developers wanted to go through the work of making this (though i would love to have this)