Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
stephenossel

Large mountain biomes suited for mining

12 posts in this topic

So I have been playing TFC for quite some time now and was thinking about features to be added in the new TFC2, since I always liked the mining industry irl (find it interesting) and mining in the old TFC, suggesting something based on mining is not ilogical imo.

So since I like mining and I heard that there will be some major biome updates (have seen some of the dev screenshots from bioxx and they look amazing already) I was thinking of combining the two.

My Idea comes down to this:
In TFC2 there may be bigger mountain biomes that are home to more ores. The idea of stone based ore generation always attracted me and I assume this will be the same in TFC2 (correct me if im wrong) and since in real life mountains are most of the time home to more ores and more complex veins i thought this was a good idea. 

To be clear:
Bigger mountain biomes, not biomes with giant mountains like the craig from BOP just a hilly like biome with rivers and stream and pine trees, what big about it? not as big as an ocean but bigger then your average biome, why? Well if more ores can spawn there closer to the surface and in bigger quanteties this may attrect players to venture in to the dangerous mountain areas you most of the time avoid. not quarry like mines because well these are mountains, but hardrock mine deep into the mountain rock, Mines that may house a copper vein so big (horizontally please) you may even find traces of lets say bismuth! an mining dream. Because these are mountains a good road may be contructed to make it more easy to transport the ores by donkey or by foot. if someone wants to go mad even a railroad may be contructed to haul the massive amounts of ore out of this hilly area to a more flat place where they are processed. Mining towns on servers between to big mountains may become a thing and this will completely change the way you live, the village has to be contructed in a way it makes sence, a road system will be forced to go trough valleys and over rivers because you can just go anywhere.

Inspiration:
ATG mountain biomes seem perfect for the biomes, just bigger (not taller mountains) biomes and not just ridges.

If anyone has any questions regarding this idea please ask in the comments, English is not my native language and I may not have made everything clear.

This doesn't really fit with the new island world generation. While TFC2 will still have stone-based ore generation, the primary factor will actually be the tiered island system. There's also the fact that the largest an island can be is 4096 x 4096 blocks, and you need to include the beach and other transition biomes. There will be mountains on islands, but you likely won't ever see an island that is nothing but mountains.

The ore vein generation in TFC2 is also very different, with veins likely spanning the entire island. The smaller vein/cluster generation from TFC1 won't be used.

1 hour ago, Kittychanley said:

The ore vein generation in TFC2 is also very different, with veins likely spanning the entire island. The smaller vein/cluster generation from TFC1 won't be used.

What do you mean?

*There will be giant veins that will allow things like industrial cities made to extract commercial amount of minerals?*

On 11/20/2015 at 1:14 AM, Bioxx said:

As far as ore veins themselves. Veins do not generate like they used to http://prntscr.com/95636g so the Y level issue really isn't an issue. Veins rise and fall as they please.

On 11-5-2016 at 4:20 PM, Kittychanley said:

This doesn't really fit with the new island world generation. While TFC2 will still have stone-based ore generation, the primary factor will actually be the tiered island system. There's also the fact that the largest an island can be is 4096 x 4096 blocks, and you need to include the beach and other transition biomes. There will be mountains on islands, but you likely won't ever see an island that is nothing but mountains.

Good to hear the TFC1 ore gen wont be used, got a big sick of it anyway.

Only bad part is that now we don't have stone layers, unfortunately.  A change necessary to allow those veins to move freely I guess.    Also it sounds like ore detection will be changed, though we have yet to see how.  But you can probably imagine that a cross-island ore vein that left ore pieces on the surface at the rate of TFC1 would be pretty darn easy to find.

It wouldn't even need to have ore pieces in the surface: just mine stright down and you will eventually hit that big vein! Also, once you have find one, GG EZ, the entire metal tier is available for you.

Also, a question for the developers: How will the islands past the maxium tier be? More high tier islands? Islands with random tier but high difficulty? Infinite ocean?

Edited by lJuanGB

I think Bioxx mentioned that in TFC2 each ore block will drop less ore.   So that giant vein pictured in twitter, we don't know, maybe it's about equivalent to one or two large deposits in TFC1?

I have an idea.

The ore that we can see in the picture, should have patches of stone, cutting every now and then the vein,or can be moved in a direction.

Example:  Original vein -----------------   Spawned vein ---_----- ------.  ---'- _-

Edited by Diego il Catanico Jr

On 5/14/2016 at 7:19 PM, lJuanGB said:

It wouldn't even need to have ore pieces in the surface: just mine stright down and you will eventually hit that big vein! Also, once you have find one, GG EZ, the entire metal tier is available for you.

Also, a question for the developers: How will the islands past the maxium tier be? More high tier islands? Islands with random tier but high difficulty? Infinite ocean?

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8877-metal-tiers/

On 14/5/2016 at 2:19 AM, lJuanGB said:

I'd like to see nuggets and related in TFC2, but with these mechanics:

• Nuggets spawn like they did in TFC 1 but with a larger range from the ore, something like 3-5 times the TFC1's currrent range.
  • They spawn more frequently when closer to the vein.
  • You can find rarely bigger nuggets (poor and normal) when closer to the vein

It's possible you alreadydone the nugget-small ores mechanics, but if you didn't I'd like them to be something like this.

Remember that sometimes my ideas are not well-elaborated, cause when I think of them, I have to rapidly write them, or I will probabily forget them.