Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Konlii

Dromedary Camel *FINAL*

39 posts in this topic

Before I get serious with the texture, I want to get some feedback on this Camel model.  In particular, what do you guys think about the teeth and the hump?  I like the teeth, but they do push the camel a bit towards the derp end.  For the hump I tried to combine the "wedding cake" style with slanted boxes, though I'm not sure if it works.

camel_preview1.pngcamel_preview2.pngcamel_preview3.pngcamel_preview4.png

Camel.MCModel

camel.png

Edited by Konlii

When it comes to the hump, then I think that the slanted boxes look better than the "step pyramid"-esque style. The mix of the two styles makes it even more jarring. 

11 minutes ago, Th3A1ph4D0g said:

When it comes to the hump, then I think that the slanted boxes look better than the "step pyramid"-esque style. The mix of the two styles makes it even more jarring. 

Quickly put together all-step and all-slant versions for comparison.

camel_preview5.pngcamel_preview6.png

Does the box that I circled in the attached picture represent anything? It feels like a left-over from the step-pyramid version. 

Camel Hump.png

Feet need to be single boxes.  Keep it simple.  Those humps are both way too much.  Looks like he's got a tiny temple fortress on his back.   Let's try to keep it to 3 boxes at most.  I really think a layer-cake design will look best.  Ditch the teeth, they don't really add anything to it.  I'd make the body thinner, in order to bring the legs closer together.  A camel looks tall and slim from the front, and I think a lot of it has to do with how close together their legs are.  It appears that in general, the distance between the legs is 1/3 to 1/4 the distance from their chest to the ground.  The current model, the ratio is nearly 1:1.  I don't know that we can go totally accurate, but I'd get as close as possible.  The neckupper also needs to be lowered to where it meets the bottom front corner of Neckbase, so it looks a little more natural.

I'm attaching a gridded camel photo, with each square approximately a foot.  I think this will help a lot with the proportioning.  

Note that the front and rear haunches fall about 5 boxes apart, and they are also about 5 boxes above the ground.  Your model has them further apart horizontally.  I'd bring the body length down to bring this proportional box more in line.

I like the head design and proportions, I just think it's too small in relation to the body.  10 pixels in minecraft is about 1 foot, and we can see in the photo that the camel head is around 1-2/3 feet long.  You can also check this against camel skulls for sale on the internet, which seem to range from 18 to 20 inches in length.  As modeled, your camel head is only 10 pixels long, so 12 inches or so. 

Overall good start, just simplify it, and work on the proportions.

CamelAnalysis.jpg

Edited by Darmo

Aside from the hump looking a little on the ziggurat side (I think you could do it reasonably well with just one, maybe two boxes, and it needs to be wider/closer to the side of the camel), and the other issues pointed out above I think the lower half of the neck could be shortened a little bit, it looks a little too awkward. I actually kind of like the teeth, but they don't really work with the general aesthetic. Also, I wonder if it mightn't look better to not have the front-facing pupil pixels? I find they make the camel look somewhat evil, and as animals go, camels do not really have particularly forward-facing eyes.

2 hours ago, Darmo said:

Feet need to be single boxes.  Keep it simple.  Those humps are both way too much.  Looks like he's got a tiny temple fortress on his back.   Let's try to keep it to 3 boxes at most.  I really think a layer-cake design will look best.  Ditch the teeth, they don't really add anything to it.  I'd make the body thinner, in order to bring the legs closer together.  A camel looks tall and slim from the front, and I think a lot of it has to do with how close together their legs are.  It appears that in general, the distance between the legs is 1/3 to 1/4 the distance from their chest to the ground.  The current model, the ratio is nearly 1:1.  I don't know that we can go totally accurate, but I'd get as close as possible.  The neckupper also needs to be lowered to where it meets the bottom front corner of Neckbase, so it looks a little more natural.

I'm attaching a gridded camel photo, with each square approximately a foot.  I think this will help a lot with the proportioning.  

Note that the front and rear haunches fall about 5 boxes apart, and they are also about 5 boxes above the ground.  Your model has them further apart horizontally.  I'd bring the body length down to bring this proportional box more in line.

I like the head design and proportions, I just think it's too small in relation to the body.  10 pixels in minecraft is about 1 foot, and we can see in the photo that the camel head is around 1-2/3 feet long.  You can also check this against camel skulls for sale on the internet, which seem to range from 18 to 20 inches in length.  As modeled, your camel head is only 10 pixels long, so 12 inches or so. 

Overall good start, just simplify it, and work on the proportions.

I agree the body proportions need some tweaking, but if 1 block (16 pixels) is 1 meter, then 10 pixels (10/16th of a block) should be 62.5cm (10/16th of a meter).  Doesn't that convert to 24.6 inches?  That would put the head on this model at a pretty good length.

Also, shouldn't 1ft be about 5 pixels (a bit over 30cm)?  This is why I always try to stick to metric measurements when I'm doing anything in Minecraft block-lengths.

You're right, my error.  Well, I guess hopefully it'll look more in scale with some body proportion adjustments.

5 hours ago, Darmo said:

Feet need to be single boxes.  Keep it simple.

Well, camels are pretty famous for their toes, but here's a version with single-box feet.

camel_preview7.pngcamel_preview8.png

Camel.MCModel

camel.png

The wedding-cake humps look better, but the hump looks like something was built on top of the camel's back, and isn't quite part of it. I think you need to move it a little farther forward, and make the first level taller at a minimum. I think you should also make the camel a bit thinner, and the hump a little bit longer, since camels' humps are generally a bit more ridge-like than yours. It just looks awkward and detached, which is sort of how a camel's hump should look, but not quite. You could also try looking at other mod's which have camel models, to get ideas. That was fairly helpful with the squirrel's tail, and while I don't recommend copying anything, it is a good way to get ideas.

Ya, their toes do have a certain infamy.  But it's not really their iconic feature.  How wide did you make the body?  It looks pretty close to me.  A horse body is what, 10 pixels wide?  It might be a good idea to match that if we're close, as it might make it easier for Bioxx to incorporate camel riding.  If that's in the cards at all.  Although looking at rl photos, it seems like camel saddles (or the blankets anyway) kind of cover the entire back.  If a camel saddle is going to be like, a blanket covering the back, a 9 wide body would leave an extra pixel of width for the blanket to lap down the sides, so then the blanket could be 10 wide, rather than the camel body itself.   

The hump, I feel like it's pretty decent proportions.  Though it might be good to see a few different options.  It does seem like it has a kind of narrow peaked form in a lot of rl photos.  And that's kind of what you've got there.  Ultimately I think it'll be hard to avoid it looking like a thing on it's own, as we're just not going to be able to do the weird geometry of a camel body, with all it's slopes.  The hump will probably always look like a thing sitting on a flat plane.  But it's much better now than in the initial version.

I see you added an extra box to the snout.  I kind of liked it better the old way, though I guess that you did it to make the jaw not so long, and give the end some droop? It does look good from the side.  Just from the front, you get that extra ridge...idk.  I guess both ways have their advantage.  I did a quick option using original nose, but shortened and slanted jaw.  Although maybe it's too lion-like.  Just wanted to put that thought out there.  What if you made the nose box in your newer version *wider* than the bridge?  Like how I did the giraffe?  If we keep it narrower, I feel like the front eye pixel would be good to have back, so we're not faced with such a series of reducing narrow planes with no differentiation.

The rear leg, to me looks weird, half hanging out of the body.  They do have odd hindquarters that look like they're almost a trailer to the actual torso.  What if you added another larger haunch box at the top of the rear legs?  That would make the attachment feel more substantial maybe, but could still hange out?  Like buttocks?  We don't really have much precedent for a 4-box leg yet - only the gorilla has that.  I've tried to keep it to three leg boxes, or two leg boxes plus a paw - but it might be justifiable in this case.

jawOption.jpg

Yeah, real life camels are weird-looking, which is why I decided to throw the model out here on the forum early and get some other opinions.

As for looking at camels from other Minecraft mods, I've been trying to avoid doing that.  I just did a google image search on it, and all the ones I see other people have made are either too flat or look even more detached than mine does.

I have a couple of ideas I want to try, though.  I'll give those a shot and post some more previews of what I think works.

I think that a good texture will allow the hump to look more natural, right now with it all being one color it really stands out more than it might in the final version. Just something to keep in mind.

Another thought, camel milk is a popular thing irl.  I don't know if it's  balanced to have an animal that is both mount, and milk provider, though.   If deserts are rare enough, maybe?  Just tossing that out there in case we want udders on the females.  I guess even if we can't milk them, it'd be a good gender indicator.

Many changes.

Squeezed the body in at the rear and made the back legs more natural.

Making the bottom hump layer just a couple pixels longer front-to-back was all it needed for the whole thing to flow into the body.

Giraffe-face didn't work at all, so I went back to a single box for the snout.

Made my temporary texture less boring.

camel_preview9.pngcamel_preview10.pngcamel_preview11.png

Camel.MCModel

camel.png

I think that model you uploaded is before you reorganized the box maps?  Anyone else get a really messed up looking model due to texture mis-match? 

I think the smaller body box for the rear was a good idea.  Helps it seem less massive, especially a good thing with the elongated hump.  I still feel like the head could be slightly larger, but it checks out against a photo overlay.  What's everyone else think?

The tail, I see it's meant to be 2 planes crossed, but they're only 2x5 in size.  With a tuft that small, I feel like just a solid box of 2x2x5 might serve better.  Or even just a colored tip on the longer tail box - photos don't seem to show much of a tuft, but I can't tell if that's natural, or a human grooming thing.  In either case, there's not a lot of room in a 2 wide texture to do a lot with transparency.

Other than those two small issues I'm feeling pretty good about this.  How about everyone else?

The curve with the back legs is unnecessary, and while I see where you are coming from with it, it would make it look weird when it walked. Otherwise, I like it.

9 minutes ago, Therighthon said:

The curve with the back legs is unnecessary, and while I see where you are coming from with it, it would make it look weird when it walked. Otherwise, I like it.

I held off on adding the slant to the back legs as long as I could, but I think it looks weirder straight.

Looking at pictures of feral Australian camels (the only wild dromedaries in the entire world), there is definitely a scraggle at the end of the tail.  But you may be right, it might not be worth it's own box.

Double-checked, that is the correct model and texture.

camel_preview12.pngcamel_preview13.png

Huh, I'll check again tonight. 

You may be right Alpha, that may look a little weird in motion.  It's been allowed on a few other animals though, and in the end the animation is pretty stiff anyway.  I guess I'm ok with it at this point.

I tried Darmo's "natural" texture overlay method and the texture pretty much completed itself.  I'll be using that technique again, for sure.  Next step will be to make chest/saddle versions.

(Note, I smoothed out the difference between front and back body sections after I took these screenshots)

*EDIT* I assume that it is going to stay pretty close to how ModelHorse works in Vanilla?  If so, I will probably make a blanket NOBOX, a saddle NOBOX, and a chest NOBOX for ease of enabling/disabling in the render method.

camel_preview14.pngcamel_preview15.png

Edited by Konlii

The model is looking pretty good at this point! My only concern lies with the head. It feels a little off to me. Maybe a few pixels more in the z-axis would look better. Right now it seems as if the nose is coming out of the neck to me. 

I do agree with alpha.  I think the head could stand to be a bit bigger.  That's probably one of the nicer things about the unified background texture method, is when you change box sizes, you've already got texture there backing it up, makes it faster to adjust.  Glad it was of use!  I'm probably going to add another post covering alpha masks, since I finally figured out how those work.

I don't know if I'd go to the work of chests and saddles until Bioxx verifies that this is something he both *can* do, and *wants* to do.  You might be wasting time otherwise.  But I mean, if you want to do it anyway, by all means.  I'm really interested to see a saddle version, for sure.  I'm trying to imagine how a chest fits on there.  I guess it can just go through it's body like a donkey.  but it'd be interesting if it had like, baskets or satchels or something, on the sides.  Personally I'd be all for it being graphically illustrated that way, even if the player still uses a chest to actually add them.

I'm all for camels being a mount or for hauling stuff so go for it.

Man, I've posted a lot of pictures on this thread.  But here's another one anyway.

By popular demand, I have lengthened the head by one pixel.  Also (obviously) created a blanket to build the saddle and chests (baskets?) on top of.

camel_preview16.png

Looks great!  And another use for wool.  I'm forseeing demand for different colored versions!