Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
daxx367

TF Craft more RPG like? But not realy RPG

30 posts in this topic

I had an idea that maybe and after A LOT more has been implemented there should be a way to shape how you progress technology wise. Where you follow the path of technology or the path of the arcane or some mix of the both. Where you would research what path to follow (like thumcraft) also it will have NOTHING to do with levels. I may mock up a basic idea of what it would be like if there's enough interest in it.

Note: this would allow for most power and enchanting ideas to work with out braking early game or killing the game for people who don't like one or the other.

And as a fore thought, please consider this.

...[snip]

Now about siege weaponry, since it came up:

TFC deals with world entities in a manner past simply making a one block device, or a boat, or in one 3x3 crafting space.

So siege weapons should be made like any normal bloomery, or even firepit, probably like how you construct items in Arthur's Gold at least, and -especially- be able to haul it around without having to break it down block by block.

There have been mods with moving objects before.

Is that what your getting at??

and they would be a latter tiered item in respects to my post.

No no, I mean the construction of larger structures, and most siege weapons should be based on the tested method of how we make bloomeries, and charcoal pits, but instead of giving us a static block structure, we get an entity that is rather unhandy to maneuver if we decide to reorient it.

As much as the same as I suggest with ball mills. [but ball mills being upgradeable, or more dynamically built]

Are I see now but i would think that a 'in game' craft could work the same way as a crafting table one or a part of the 'in game' craft has to be made on the table first.

Arthur's Gold, you pretty much make a "structure piece" of a certain item, like a workshop, or a catapult, and assemble the pieces in the overworld, not in the crafting table.

Seems a bit more convenient so you don't plop a catapult down like a boat in the water, it bounces off of you, and implodes because it flies into a wall, or it is oriented wrong, for the same reason.

That and it gives warnings to others that you are building a fucking catapult, it doesn't seem fair that you can plop down a catapult straight from the pocket, completely built, and simply destroy everything.

Wow it would be to easy to hav e sieges like Boea said, if someone just places an catapult and begins to fire at you!

What if your patroling the wall of the city on a server, and you see an random guy walking in the outskirts of the forrest!

Before you know what he is doing he places an catapult and before you can alert the other people in the town there's an rain of fire and rocks over the town...

They would'nt have a chance to defend... but making an catapult is an cool idea! i like siege weapons! ;)

Sorry I don't think you got what i was saying there. That's what I meant but so it can be fit in with my idea ONE block of the catapult would be made in a crafting table so then it can be limited to a tech level. So the the winding part will have to be made in a crafting table and then the catapult will be made 'in game' (like you said).

Cool! i hope he takes it into the game, it would be great for faction servers!

If he doesn't i will try and code an add-on.

Once its more stable.

This may lead to hilarious results, and a lot of structure blocks being made, but as long as one can make a trebuchet with roughly the same blocks as a catapult, then I'm really game.

[Especially if you can basically insert what you want into the cup; let it rain javelins, and arrows]

I would think that you would only be useful for rocks. But there could all ways be Ballista. ;)

its do-able just look at golems or the golem factory mod

What is do-able?? the ballista or the arrows in the catapult?? I didn't say arrows in catapult wasn't do-able its just not very affective.

Arrows in a catapult is actually a very effective thing to do, as long as you place at least a dozen in the cup.

[imagine, suddenly, arrows, stacks of them]

Ballistae, there are generally a few types, ones that fire warheads [really big arrows], cannonballs [really far I might ad], and a few other things.

I would have thought that the arrows would fall flat instead of head down??

Arrows are made so that they fly head first, for accuracy and precision's sake: there is a reason that the shaft is usually lighter than the head, and the tail is made the way it is.

Its more of a question of how many arrows you are willing to waste on this.

Other than that, what else should be possible, siege towers? siege ladders, rams,and other things.

Well it should all really be there and in terms of my original idea this would be around the medieval stage of the tech tree. What was it that allowed for the creation of all this stuff??

so lemme get this straight, say i want to build a catapult. i would go to my crafting bench, make the "core" of the catapult (which would probably be the winch or windback device), place it in the world, then use wood or something to build the cataput around it right?

btw someone might want to change the title of this topic as it has moved away from rpg stylizing to catapults adn seige engines

Well I'm about to get it more back to the start of the topic, my idea was to have an age progression similar to the one in the Age of Empire games with a Thumcraft like research system... most people don't like the idea of that research system so I moved to something similar to TF Craft where you have to have something to get another thing Eg. anvils.

Yes you are correct with what you just said but with this new revision of my idea it would probably be a new crafting table.

so lemme get this straight, say i want to build a catapult. i would go to my crafting bench, make the "core" of the catapult (which would probably be the winch or windback device), place it in the world, then use wood or something to build the cataput around it right?

btw someone might want to change the title of this topic as it has moved away from rpg stylizing to catapults adn seige engines

Eh, it'd be better if you used struccture blocks for the other parts, so that the core is not only the costliest part of the build, in addition to spreading the cost of the item out.

The real question is, you need a sort of limiter for larger structures, simply make a sturdier core, or sturdier structure pieces.

Well I'm about to get it more back to the start of the topic, my idea was to have an age progression similar to the one in the Age of Empire games with a Thumcraft like research system... most people don't like the idea of that research system so I moved to something similar to TF Craft where you have to have something to get another thing Eg. anvils.

Yes you are correct with what you just said but with this new revision of my idea it would probably be a new crafting table.

hmm i do like the idea of researching things but i agree the thaumcraft way of pop stuff in and let it research is too magical for TFC

the idea of just making different things that are necessary to make the next level items seems better...hmm gotta think about this for a while

ooooh! the research could be for medical purposes where you research different plants and ingredients to learn what their use in medicine could be

so like you sit down with your pen and ink and paper and item you're going to research and start writing

the item is destroyed(you have to take it appart in order to analyze completely) and you get a paper wth the information on that item get enough and you can make a thaumnomicon style book that holds your knowledge of different medicinal herbs and junk. this way you could find better ways to treat or prevent the injuries and disseases described in some of the other posts

maybe you could do this to different types of wood and stone, see how long the wood burns, the density, pretty much the wiki stuff but in game so you dont have to be constalntly looking back to an outdated wiki that may or may not have correct information

With any luck that wiki will never be out of date again and yes you would have to make other parts I just haven't fingered out any of the balancing stuff out yet. :/