Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
WillOfStone

[Solved] Placing metal sheets on non firebrick blocks.

12 posts in this topic

I tested this in creative and it worked fine.  I placed different metal's sheets on different blocks and the different textures and colors looked amazing.  I tried to do this in survival and no go.  Is this deliberately disabled and if so, can it be reconfigured somehow on our server?

Thanks.

JtkieuR.jpg

Are you sure the sheets you were using in survival were completely cooled, and had not been worked? There is no check in the code that specifically checks for fire brick blocks, and I just tested and was able to place them in survival just fine on a bunch of different blocks.

I switched from recipe mode to cheat mode in NEI and it works fine now.  Weird.   I'd never heard anyone mention these before.  They're really quite beautiful. 

Thanks for checking.  I really appreciate it.  :)

Edited by WillOfStone

You can make hidden doors too. Place them and then break the block you placed them on. Then you can walk right through them. 

16 minutes ago, Bunsan said:

You can make hidden doors too. Place them and then break the block you placed them on. Then you can walk right through them. 

Nice! 

Strange, in the year I've been reading this board, I'd not seen mention of using these sheets decoratively before.  I'm using Platinum sheets as a faux mirror behind my bar.  I'll post a pic when done. :)

I use them decoratively all the time.  You should play around with them more, there are so many uses for them such as table tops and water tubs.  They will hold water but you can still walk through them.  As you have said, platinum makes a really neat looking "mirror".

2016-02-17_03.03.24.png

2016-02-17_01.50.29.png

15 hours ago, Motherwyvern said:

2016-02-17_03.03.24.png

2016-02-17_01.50.29.png

This looks really amazing =)

Very nice.  Really like the Cabinet.  This is the first time I've reached colored steel and had some extra metal to play with.  I only play survival and it's too valuable early game.  Looking forward to playing around with it some more, as now my main focus is just building stuff.  :)

Do you have to place the sheets on the block before you chisel it, or will it allow you to place it afterwords? 

I did a little experimenting and you can easily place sheets on any type of chiseled block, as well as chisel the block while the sheet is attached.  I usually use lumber whenever possible to help keep lag down.  As with lumber the sheets can also occupy the same space as one another; just use a block beside the place where you want the sheet, place the sheet, and take up the block.

I started using sheets decoratively when I played in survival on another server and I had long ago reached colored steel.  Now I'm building a town for my own server and I'm seeing where the special TFC materials can take me creatively.  Screenshots of our builds are available on our server website and I always welcome new ideas, tips and tricks for building in TFC.

2 minutes ago, Motherwyvern said:

I usually use lumber whenever possible to help keep lag down.

No idea what makes you think this. Lumber is just as laggy as chiseled blocks, if not worse because it supports multiple colors per block.

I should have specified detail chiseling.  From experience it creates a lot of lag on servers.  I use lots of lumber and other forms of chiseling and don't notice an appreciable amount of lag from them.

17 hours ago, Motherwyvern said:

I did a little experimenting and you can easily place sheets on any type of chiseled block, as well as chisel the block while the sheet is attached.  I usually use lumber whenever possible to help keep lag down.  As with lumber the sheets can also occupy the same space as one another; just use a block beside the place where you want the sheet, place the sheet, and take up the block.

I started using sheets decoratively when I played in survival on another server and I had long ago reached colored steel.  Now I'm building a town for my own server and I'm seeing where the special TFC materials can take me creatively.  Screenshots of our builds are available on our server website and I always welcome new ideas, tips and tricks for building in TFC.

Thanks.  I'll check it out.  As to tips and tricks, I'm still in the apprentice builder stage. lol

Some of our players are doing great stuff though. I'm going to try and make a video once the village is a little farther along.