Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmo

Caribou Application by KronoNomikon

12 posts in this topic

Here we have a Caribou (Reindeer) application by KronoNomicon.  He even did 3 textures for it.  I think it's pretty good, and could see it being used as it is.  But I wanted to get other opinions on the branched antler tips especially, which are 2d sprites rather than full 3d.  This avoids bunched 3d boxes which might get messy, and saves a lot of boxes.  From the front they can kind of disappear though.    So what's everyone think?

Caribou.png

Caribou2.png

Caribou03.MCModel

Caribou3.png

Caribou3types.jpg

I love this caribou model! I think the antler tips are fine as is. They are similar to the quills on the porcupine model. They disappear in one direction but otherwise they look good. I can not think of any good way to add thickness to the antlers without making all of the antler tips as full boxes.

Be mindful of the light brown caribou texture though. Might just be me but I believe that the eye looks to be faded slightly.

Since all of the antler tips are angled slightly different, they won't all disappear at the same time, which is good.

The problem I see, though, is that there is a big jump between the 1-width part and the 0-width part.  Now that MCMC supports it, could you replace the base part of the tips with a 0.5-width box?  Or maybe you could just have the base antlers narrow down a bit as they get near the tips?

Overall I do like the model, but I agree with Konlii, the jump in size is too jarring. In the case of antlers, we can make an exception and just use boxes. 

I'll add Krono.

So boxes instead of sprites.  It's a good point on the fractional boxes thing.  I haven't gotten around to trying that out yet.  So the tips could have a pad that is .8 wide, and 'fingers' that are .6 or so.  This would prevent z-fighting. 

Thanks so much, Bioxx, for the add!

I have been trying to get used to actually having a cell phone, being that I've never had one before the past few days, and so I was primarily busy with that lately.

So, now that I'm accustomed to that, I've fixed the antlers --- and I do think they look much nicer from all angles by having some meatiness to them.  Not only that, but I've also updated the textures so that they could contain both types of antlers, being that there was enough texture space.  I did this with the extra space so that it would be easier to switch back and forth, just in case someone wanted to use the older ones.  (And yes, the eyes are fixed on the one texture!)

EDIT: I never added an image, because I wasn't sure if there was an option, and I hadn't explored it.  Here is an image now:
28jgrjm.png

Caribou04.MCModel

Caribou.png

Caribou2.png

Caribou3.png

Edited by KronoNomikon

Definitely looks much more natural from the front.  The pads  at the middle and top though, square isn't really proportional.  They tend to be elongated.  I'd cut them each in half 'vertically.'  And I'd be fine with adding a fourth tine to the uppers.

I think that I can do that by bringing it in at the angle.  I think the effect would be lost if I tried to make them flat, rather than diagonal.  It may be towards the end of the weekend, as we are trying to clean up to sell this place, and also, people are being obstinate, not coming in for shifts, to the effect that I will probably be gone half the night on Sunday.

No prob, work is getting really busy for me too, so I probably won't have much time either for the next month or so.  But as for my suggestion, I may not have come across clearly - I wasn't suggesting an angle change.  Just the shape of the pads, from square to rectangular.  Something like the attached image (but with more care paid to the tine arrangement than what I did there). 

padsuggestion.jpg

Haha, yeah: that's what I figured that I would try to do, actually...

Ya, I think that's much better.  If nobody else has any comments I'd call it final.