Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Klawful

A little too hard perhaps?

19 posts in this topic

I've watched ur videos, read your guides....

And after 10 hours of wandering about a map, using dozens and dozens of prospecting picks on every chunk of granite I can find....

I am yet to find a single indication of ANY Cassiterite.

At this point, feels less like adventure, and more like a boring grind that yields NO results for even the most BASIC resource.

Either make it more common, or increase the radius that the pick can detect, and THEN give indication on how close it is.

I thought Bioxx made it so that cassiterite spawns in a few more stone types

Beta v2 Pre 30

• Cassiterite will now spawn in all Igneous Extrusive layers. I was initially going to add Cylindrite as an alternate Tin ore but decided to simply use Cassiterite in more rock layers due to the ease of implementation because of some previous design decisions. Perhaps I’ll change this down the road if I overhaul ores again.

That's nice to know, but it doesn't explain why my prospectors picks has not found a single deposit of Cassiterite in ANY of the many many chunks I have checked.

You're either not looking in the right rocks, or you're just not looking hard or well enough.

There have been many who have complain about tin, but do not realize that Bismuth can also be used as a starter metal, along with zinc, I believe.

Solution #1: use another metal

Also, I have had a similar problem with copper on my server. Even though I spawned in a granite rich area, (where native copper can be found) I had to walk almost a kilometer from my base to find some in rhyolite (which isn't stated on the wiki for native copper to spawn in).

Solution #2: go farther

Now in my experience with this mod, I have found that certain areas worlds only seem to have certain metals in the immediate spawn, causing you to go farther out. If solution 2 does not suit your fancy;

Solution #3 generate a new world.

If none of those work, might as well install EE, an get the divining rod.

I'm still pretty new my self. Been playing maybe a week or so.

Iv yet to find any ores that yield copper, but i have found some zinc, tin and a lot of bismuth- at least its a lot by my standers.

Finding ore is a lot easier once you understand how the prospecting pick works. At least it was for me.

From what Iv read it searches in a 24x24 on the X and Z axis (the plans you walk on) and 12 on the Y axis (thats up and down) around the block that you used it on.

So thats 12 blocks forward, 12 backwards, 12 to the left, 12 to the right, 6 over head and 6 underfoot.

And it seems the prospecting pick isnt 100% accurate, some times it will find nothing when there is clearly something in the zone. so checking on multiple blocks in the area is a must (same block seems to always give the same results)

Maybe you already know all this, maybe my info is bad. is so sorry.

My point is, searching around on the surface gives you a really small search zone. You need to be underground to get the most out of your prospecting picks. When I started digging downwards It took a LONG time before I picked up any ores. Luckly I busted into a cave and Iv found a few more veins.

The sweet spot is 30-50 or 40-50. Look for mountain ranges, they usually have ores on the side.

It doesn't say this on the wiki, but you can also get the bronze age through making BLACK BRONZE (copper, silver, gold) or ROSE GOLD (copper and gold). You can make a black bronze and rose gold anvil, and don't need tin.

Even if you're stuck with just copper, full-out copper gear (armor, weapons, tools) is pretty close to being iron in vanilla minecraft. I tend to stick to the surface personally when I explore, but I love to run through chasms and I always check cliff walls and valleys, since it gives an opportunity for the prosp pick to read a lot more.

The sweet spot is 30-50 or 40-50. Look for mountain ranges, they usually have ores on the side.

Apparently, if Bioxx is telling the truth, this is no longer true. Ore can spawn at any altitude and is tied to rock type, not depth.

Apparently, if Bioxx is telling the truth, this is no longer true. Ore can spawn at any altitude and is tied to rock type, not depth.

Yup. I've heard people say the "level 100" is the best spot when truthfully, I've found ore at ALL levels in somewhat equal amounts. This game is a bit about luck. It's meant to be difficult.

I went to look for more gabbro for my house. I just spent two hours in a mine trying to chase down the "large sample of Garnerite" only to find two pieces... and then another two pieces. Spent a whole steel pick and came back with 6 pieces. .. One piece short of getting that black steel anvil.

It's just important we squash this myth that depth affects ore distribution. Otherwise, new players will spend huge amounts of time and resources digging mines that are completely unnecessary (a frustrating and often fruitless affair).

Crysyn said his next video (S2E9) was going to be directly addressing that when it comes out I believe.

A little story...

I started a new world (PR37 generated) last Sunday .. I took me 12 minecraft days to find any ore of any description at all and none of that is within a 500 block radius of my spawn.

Not only that most of it is in a limestone ridge between 2 an 25 blocks wide and over 200 in length from one end to the other that tops out for most of it's length at height 256 ( and yes the walls are vertical for most of it's length).

After 30 minecraft game days play I don't yet have enough wood to fill a charcoal clamp (approx half full so far), I live off chickec eggs and the occassional pig I find (cattle are non-existant), at at the end of March the "Fruit" trees (which all have the same texture and may all be bananna trees) are only just flowering.

I do however now have about 6 stacks of copper and 3 stacks each of lignite and magnite (iron ore), one stack of bismuth (found in a cavern at level 40), and know where a few other ores (that I don't recognize) are loacted.

My only real gripe at the moment is the lack of any form of effective weapon early in the game .. as far as I can tell axes are the best defence.. other than a lucky drop iron sword from a zombie.

It's not that the game is particularly hard early on, just very tedious.. it's not very inspiring having to face spending several minecraft days just chopping down trees to get enough wood to fill a charcoal pit.

My only real gripe at the moment is the lack of any form of effective weapon early in the game .. as far as I can tell axes are the best defence.. other than a lucky drop iron sword from a zombie.

It's not that the game is particularly hard early on, just very tedious.. it's not very inspiring having to face spending several minecraft days just chopping down trees to get enough wood to fill a charcoal pit.

Have you tried the javelin? Also, if charcoal is such a problem to prepare, I suggest making a Willow Tree farm. Fast-growing and has more wood than the other plantable trees.

Have you tried the javelin? Also, if charcoal is such a problem to prepare, I suggest making a Willow Tree farm. Fast-growing and has more wood than the other plantable trees.

Javelins rely on the availability of flint.. as the closest supply of flint is 100 blocks away, javelins are not a viable solution ..

I'm about to set up some willow trees.. now I've located a couple to source sapplings from..

I've found willow to be very useful. AS for weapons, javelins aren't very reliable, I'm continually losing mine.

I also have a story about starter metals. I got lucky, and ended up building my first home on top of a cave system that had some zinc, but I wanted to get some bronze. I even found some tin after in in game day or two of searching. But copper... copper was my bane. I searched high and low, for days and days and weeks in an expanding circular pattern until I finally found a vein of it in a far off desert. Bearing my burden, it took me two in game days to walk back home. And as I approached my home base, I came at it from a different angle from the one I left from, behind a hill. And sticking out of that hill, close enough that I could SEE my house, was a large vein of native copper, mocking me ><.

So maybe you just aren't looking in the right places?

(As a side note, now whenever I walk by that copper vein, I mutter to myself 'F* you, f*ing copper vein.)

So maybe you just aren't looking in the right places?

(As a side note, now whenever I walk by that copper vein, I mutter to myself 'F* you, f*ing copper vein.)

I'm not relying on looking .. I'm relying on the tap with a prospectors pick as I'm wandering about method .. And when I did eventually find ore it was in a hills-edge biome..the first one I'd managed to find in all the searching I'd done.

My starter metal story was back in B2pre32-ish, I think. I spawned a world where the spawn was right next to a few hills and a mountain, which contained untold amounts of ore. Copper, iron, silver, gold, I found entire inventories worth of stacks of them, and every time I'd find a new cave, there would be more metal sitting there, waiting to be mined out.

What I did not find, however, was any Zinc, Tin or Bismuth. So after mining out 5 large chests filled with stacks of every non-starter metal there is, I decided to dig into the ground (this being before I learned of the "prospect the surface" method), and all the way down in a cave around level 30 I finally managed to find a small vein of zinc. Getting which would have been considerably earier, were I able to use any of the metals I found previously, since I had enough to make a full set of steel armor and equipment. Not that I minded in the end, of course.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0