Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Srgnoodles

Research

76 posts in this topic

Alright so as was slightly explained in one of my posts on another topic, i think there should be some sort of research system

this wouldnt be like the thaumcraft method where its necessary for progression to the next stage or something, but would give you usefull information on pre-existing objects

so first you would make a reaserch table, which would be 2x1 blocks with a paper and inkwell sort of like the thaumcraft Q block but there would also be a spot forthe item you are researching

so in the gui you put your feather, ink, and paper in some slots, and put the item you want to research in another slot, you begin researching but shouldnt be allowed to leave the GUI while research is in progress because you are the one doing the research not the block itsself

so when the research is finished, the item is gone( you took it appart to analyze it completely ) and you have a peice of papaer that, when you read it, has some basic information on the item depending on what it is. also, the info wouldnt be complete the first time you research it because you have to research multiple of that item to become an expert on it

you could research things like:

Wood/saplings: you find the burn length/temp of wood, wherre the tree is found, where it grows best, and things like that

Stone: what kind of rock it is( igneous, sedimentary, metamorphic) the haredness/density, and eventually what ores tend to spawn in it

Herbs/Plants: You find different medicinal uses for certain herbs or plants or any other kind of object that would be used in medicines. you can find through this, better ways to treat injuries

so say you get a gash in yourt arm early game, you would stop the bleeding by pressing some wool or somethin g like that onto it, but through research, you could find that this certain plant, when crushed, helps to stop bleeding ,so next time you get cut, you put some of this on the inside of your wool bandage, and the healing process is quicker and more complete

or say early game you get poisoned by a spider, you could go kill a spider, take it's venom and research it to make some sort of antivenom to stop the poisoning

Metals: you could research some of the different ores you find and see what they will give you when you smelt them down, or how well the metal will perform as a tool becasue honeslty some of these metals seem kind of odd to make tools out of like zinc and gold. also, if you research far enough, you could find what you can mix with them to make alloys

i cant really think of other uses for this besides these that make sence but if you guys have any ideas for more researchable items, feel free to tell me

I read "research," then I saw "Thaumcraft," and nearly died. ...Then I read the rest of the post and felt all warm and fuzzy. Yes, something like this should most definitely be implemented in-game so wiki hopping isn't so absolutely necessary.

Would be rather interesting to compare different materials and letting them figure out which would be better for them to work with. Though it should be balanced somewhat. Like maybe you would have to research more than one sample or researching one sample reveals one property of the material?

Would be rather interesting to compare different materials and letting them figure out which would be better for them to work with. Though it should be balanced somewhat. Like maybe you would have to research more than one sample or researching one sample reveals one property of the material?

yeah im not sure if i was clear on that point in the post but i was thinking that reseaarching one sample would either give partial information or just one of the properties of the item you have to research multiple( the number increases with which items you use) samples with that same sheet of paper to get a full information sheet

This would work well with the whole metadata idea in the chest thread I had rather than all the stats being shown below you could go find them there in this table. Also maybe instead of having to research multiple times perhaps you could use different tools to get different types of info

This would work well with the whole metadata idea in the chest thread I had rather than all the stats being shown below you could go find them there in this table. Also maybe instead of having to research multiple times perhaps you could use different tools to get different types of info

hmm maybe you could use different writing utensils?

it could start out as just a stick and some kind of dye, then it would go to feather pen and ink and then you could make some kind of obsidian or other rare material pen and then it would have better handwriting and better information

or we could just make a feather and bottle used in the recipie for the table and use ink as "fuel" for it

I hate to be the critic but all that information can be found on the wiki.

Instead you should do something like researching ores in order to smelt them, and anvils in order to work your newly found ore.

Instead you should do something like researching ores in order to smelt them, and anvils in order to work your newly found ore.

this is true, but this makes it so you dont have to do all that wiki hopping and besides, the wiki has been rather incomplete/outdated because most of the ores have absolutely no information

I would much rather the information be in the game as well. There's no harm in having the information available in more than one location, not to mention a location that is accurate to whatever version you are using.

I would HATE to have to research ore before smelting them. That is just forcing a player to make a 1 time sacrifice of material for each time they want to use a new metal. That is not rewarding at all. If we went with srgnoodles's idea, new players would have an in-game method of obtaining information on things they specifically want to know about. Investing more materials would reward more information.

Agree with the above this should be a convenience not an inconvenience. As for the pens this is not what I was referring to that honestly makes no sense I was saying different TOOLS for instance use a magnifying glass or compass or something to test hardness and then something to test for recipes.

I read "research," then I saw "Thaumcraft," and nearly died. ...Then I read the rest of the post and felt all warm and fuzzy. Yes, something like this should most definitely be implemented in-game so wiki hopping isn't so absolutely necessary.

You just succinctly summed up my entire complex emotional reaction to this thread.

Same experience here.

The biggest problem with vanilla minecraft is its incompleteness of explaining gameplay mechanics. You cannot play it without wikipedia or a friend. I think it's critical to eventually solve this issue in TFC (eventually, but not now).

This is a great game mechanic. I think it's vital that the research tells you how to craft items. Before someone can make this table, I think there needs to be some other unobtrusive way of hinting to the player what to do (*ppsttt*...punch the leaves, steve!!)

It's nice to see you posted this and I like it and support it the whole way.

Dabman: i think that adds more fun to vanilla minecraft, being able to figure things out as you go along, but in a mod as complex as this one, it really needs some sort of explaining to be usefull. but yeah how is someone going to know that they need to make flint tools to collect wood and make fires and all that kind of stuff. hmmmm....

starting out with some sort of basic guide, i think, would add too much for you to spawn with in addition to basic clothes and a backpack but its a possible idea

you could have tips in the loading screen like the aether mod does but that might be a little bit of a spoiler, or when you start a new world it could have a starting tip for you, but i dont know how much i like that idea

ooh maybe, if villages are still in the game with this mod, those incredibly ugly and useless testificates could tell you a bit about life in this world

but i really have no idea of an elegant yet not blatantly obvious way to sort of nudge you in the right direction when you start

ooh scratch that, maybe you could chose to "examine" things in the world and gain some incredibly basic information on it by looking at it

Daxx: Thanks =D

I think it would be most immersive to have to "analyze" different materials, and analyzing them gives you an idea of what it can be used for. Say you find something new, you analyze it because you don't know what the fuck it is, and it gives vague hints to what it might be used for. Like "this could potentially be used to craft jewellry" (for all those gems for instance). Or if you find an ore you haven't seen before, "this could be used in a bloomery". It doesn't give you specifics for what it can do until you've used it. It doesn't give you recipes, only perhaps the scope of the recipe, like "this could be crafted in your inventory" or "workbench" or "anvil".

The information adds up as you work the materials. Like a wiki compiling as you go. The research bit could be used to steer you in the right direction, but still leave a lot for you to discover on your own.

It should also give an estimate of how durable the material is (like metals). Like saying "this material seems harder than iron" providing you've already worked on iron so that it has something to compare with. If you find a real high tier metal for instance, and you've only worked iron but this is like several tiers above it, then it should still only say "this material seems harder than iron".

So yeah, like that

Achievements can easily steer people towards things if they are used right I think experience for completing these would work well but they could simply say "Gather" "break leaves to obtain sticks" and just lead people to do things.

I would much rather the information be in the game as well. There's no harm in having the information available in more than one location, not to mention a location that is accurate to whatever version you are using.

I would HATE to have to research ore before smelting them. That is just forcing a player to make a 1 time sacrifice of material for each time they want to use a new metal. That is not rewarding at all. If we went with srgnoodles's idea, new players would have an in-game method of obtaining information on things they specifically want to know about. Investing more materials would reward more information.

i wasnt saying you have to research it to smelt the ore, its just for players who either A aren't majoring in metallurgey or B dont wat to go to the wiki all the time

even with the medicinal plants you could use them without research but you probably wouldnmt know what the hell they were used for before you research

so in sum. the research system wouldnt be neccesary for you to move on, but more be a bonus so you actually know what your doing with the stuff

unless you've played this mod for a while and know what everything does

i wasnt saying you have to research it to smelt the ore, its just for players who either A aren't majoring in metallurgey or B dont wat to go to the wiki all the time

even with the medicinal plants you could use them without research but you probably wouldnmt know what the hell they were used for before you research

so in sum. the research system wouldnt be neccesary for you to move on, but more be a bonus so you actually know what your doing with the stuff

unless you've played this mod for a while and know what everything does

I was replying to Incompatibility, 2 posts above my original, not you =P

I was agreeing with your idea and disagreeing with what Incompatibility suggested.

Well either way I think the time it actually takes to finish researching and gathering the materials for said researching could actually be used on just looking on the wiki. I know ATM the wiki is not much, but eventually it will be onpar with normal wikis, probably by the time something like this is implemented.

If you're going to add research, make it useful.

e.g. A plant unlocks recipes for medicine, as someone already suggested.

I suggest something like a research points system where whenever you mine something or chop down a tree or kill a creeper you gain points you can spend to unlock TNT. But it seems most practical when used to kill mobs.

Well either way I think the time it actually takes to finish researching and gathering the materials for said researching could actually be used on just looking on the wiki. I know ATM the wiki is not much, but eventually it will be onpar with normal wikis, probably by the time something like this is implemented.

If you're going to add research, make it useful.

e.g. A plant unlocks recipes for medicine, as someone already suggested.

I suggest something like a research points system where whenever you mine something or chop down a tree or kill a creeper you gain points you can spend to unlock TNT. But it seems most practical when used to kill mobs.

BUT is there a giant wiki page in the sky for you too look things up with in real life? unless im missing something i think there isnt

and thats exactly what i was trying to turn away from is needing research to unlock things to move on im thinking it would be more a thing for you to use to figure out what things are used for if you dont already know

im saying when your walking around in the wilderness trying to survive, you cant just go "oh im going to look up what this thingy does" and swich over to wikipedia

but what would be rather funny is that if, at some point you could advance enough to make computers, you could go on wikipedia and look up stuff but thats just a joke

Point is it's not in-game

well if by 'in-game' we're referring to 'in-irl', then... well... yes it actually is. Servers are hosted in this dimension to my knowledge...

well if by 'in-game' we're referring to 'in-irl', then... well... yes it actually is. Servers are hosted in this dimension to my knowledge...

my good sir, my point is that, if you were out surviving in the wild, you cant just pull down a page full of information from the sky