Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Srgnoodles

Research

76 posts in this topic

not sure what you mean by run amiss but I admit the tutorial would probably be too much I'm just trying to think of a way to make the game independent for noobs. Bedgar, that is my point exactly and that is what I want to fix.

One of the core concepts of TFC is to take things like this OUT of the game and into real life. Part of what makes a person a good TFC blacksmith is through trial and error, physically memorizing what combinations of hits or actions makes the tools the most efficiently and the strongest. If you want to figure out burn length or something, you should burn it and find out.

One of the core concepts of TFC is to take things like this OUT of the game and into real life. Part of what makes a person a good TFC blacksmith is through trial and error, physically memorizing what combinations of hits or actions makes the tools the most efficiently and the strongest. If you want to figure out burn length or something, you should burn it and find out.

Gods, thank you. Lumy, Jed, and I have all said this until we're blue in the face. Maybe someone will pay a dev some heed.

your reaserch table would in no way fix the noob frendlyness issue and is in no way a replacement for the wiki. A tutorial might solve it but in the end an ingame tutorial is much more impractical. Besides most tfc noobs have substantial minecraft experience and like iv said they will be able to find the information they need.

I totally agree with this. Actually thinking back i guess my idea about 10 posts back was too lax too automated. How about something like this?

Hovering your mouse over an item and pressing a specific key would open/create an entry in you book.

The page would have a template based on the type of item.

The template would be blank except for the name of the item and would need to be filled out manually.

A space would be left for the author to add any information they want

Pressing the above mentioned key while not in any gui would open gui for the book so you can browse through your entries.

There much simpler nothing is automatic and you have to find everything out yourself. This would be the same as writing down all your information in a real book only easier to access and sort through.

sort through.

I now I'm coming off as the idiot here but what I'm trying to say this correctly and it doesn't seem to be making sense. I don't want something that tells us something that could be found threw basic trial and error I'm talking like recipes and plans and schematics maybe mixed with a couple random facts just for the hell of it. This would not be a necessary system just a reference source. Dunk, my point with this is to move beyond a game if we are switching between windows and checking the wiki for everything and looking up facts online that ruins the locked in-game feel that should come with this game Steve is no longer a part in what your doing. I personally would probably not use it except for the rare occasions when I wanted a random fact but newer players are always checking the wiki and the forums, everyone was guilty of that. I just want to remove the need for disconnection. Templates for books is a good idea but it still won't fix this disconnection issue. I apologize if I seem like I'm standing anyone up but I feel this problem should be solved. None-the-less even if you did agree with the idea I doubt it would be high on the priority list.

I would have to disagree with you. What do you mean an accident? Oups I accidently burnt my willow when I could have used it for something more useful? Also I’m pretty sure that scientists 400 years ago couldn’t find all the biomes a tree can grown in just by studying a sample.

As for the coding par it’s not as complicated as you think. 1 function for when you cut down a tree, 1 function for when you spilt a log, and 1 or 2 functions when you burn a log, 10 lines of code per function tops and you got trees covered. As for lag and cpu usage it’s also not that bad. It’s kind of like achievements. They check for the fire time you acquire: wood, diamond, fish, pickaxe, sword, etc.. I’m not saying it’s not going to have any effect whatsoever but if the programmers can make checks for cave-ins each time some 1 breaks a stone and check for falling dirt every time some 1 jumps on dirt without the game lagging then i think they can do this. In fact it think my proposal would add less to the game in terms of lines of code as yours since mine would not require the addition of new blocks and items(hundreds of page items with a few damage values each or 1 page item with hundreds of damage values). also I don’t know if the devs you’d be able to link the pages to the object they are describing, if they can’t they would need to manually change the info on the pages each time they change something.

Now on to tools. Adding tools to the game would be awesome. One example is having a thermometer would be required to find the ambient temperature instead of it just being given to us. But there’s just one thing that might be a problem and it’s what Bioxx said about the wiki :

“Do not add raw numbers that are used in the code behind the scenes. I do not want TerraFirmaCraft to be treated as a math game where everyone min/maxes and only ever follows one route. If you wish to play that way then good for you, but adding raw numbers to the wiki will affect the way that everyone else plays the game as well. You cannot un-see the numbers once they've been seen. Please respect this rule.”

Which mean that the tools would only be able to give approximate results which would not make sense to me.

Do you wanna leave coding to the coders?

one final post guys. This. won't. be. happening.

sorry.

one final post guys. This. won't. be. happening.

sorry.

yknow a little more explanation would be nice

i dont want to see my entire idea shot down just because you said nope

Do you wanna leave coding to the coders?

i was just making a counter argument i dident propose we go into the coding aspect(i.e. he started it ^_^) besides i admitted my idea was overly complicated.

well... he did give an explanation

and nothing anyone says implies that he is wrong so ya...

And also i do see his point i think pretty much everything that is to be says about this topic has been sayed but i could be wrong.

He gave an explanation in earlier posts.

He gave an explanation in earlier posts.

i've seen a lot of threads and decent ideas utterly killed by the fact that dunk said nope

is he like bioxx's right hand man or something? i just want to know why everything he says is treated like the words of a god

sorry if i sound rude im just trying to clear things up

i've seen a lot of threads and decent ideas utterly killed by the fact that dunk said nope

is he like bioxx's right hand man or something? i just want to know why everything he says is treated like the words of a god

Well, he is the other mod developer.

Well, he is the other mod developer.

alright then, it still kinda hurts seeing my whole thing shot down though

Dude. He's a dev on a relatively small team. You don't think he talks with Bioxx a lot?

You've probably seen all, what, 12 or so posts Bioxx has made in the suggestions forum? Bioxx isn't too active around here - you know, being all selfish and not giving us his time because he's busy actually making the mod and shit. That being said, Bioxx does obviously hear about some of the stuff around here. Given Dunk's recent activity around here, I'm guessing he's the one the head honcho hears from.

As it is, I can just picture the conversation-

D: Btw, they've been talking about this research thing on the forums - kind of a way to keep track of stats in-game

B: Yeah, no. I said no hard numbers.

D: Diiiiiiidn't think so. Oh and I finished- etc...

Dude. He's a dev on a relatively small team. You don't think he talks with Bioxx a lot?

You've probably seen all, what, 12 or so posts Bioxx has made in the suggestions forum? Bioxx isn't too active around here - you know, being all selfish and not giving us his time because he's busy actually making the mod and shit. That being said, Bioxx does obviously hear about some of the stuff around here. Given Dunk's recent activity around here, I'm guessing he's the one the head honcho hears from.

D: Btw, they've been talking about this research thing on the forums - kind of a way to keep track of stats in-game

ugh why does noone understand what i want this to be!

i want it to NOT be exact information i just want it to be a thing so that you dont have to go wiki hopping all the time because that just doesnt seem entirely believable for there to be a huge bank of knowledge for you to look into whenever you need help with something in-game

i never wanted it to be "hard numbers" like you said. i want it to be just a way to get some basic information on an object so you can actualy figure out what the hell you are doing with all the new stuff if you're starting out using the mod

but if bioxx doesnt want this in the mod, well then he doesnt need to have it

i just want it to be a thing so that you dont have to go wiki hopping all the time because that just doesnt seem entirely believable for there to be a huge bank of knowledge for you to look into whenever you need help with something in-game

I'm kind of sensing that Bioxx would rather have you pull out a pen and some paper so you could annotate these things as you discover them in game, like those old-school RPGs that were basically unbeatable without either flawless memory, or decent note taking skills. I realize you're basically suggesting an in-game version of that, but yeah. The dev team wants it in your head, not in your Steve's head.

Instead of any sort of research system, I'd be asking for some tweaks to the upcoming book writing thing we're getting with 1.3 that would enable us to insert item sprites and crafting recipes with some simple mark-up... That way I won't have to actually write things down on a physical notepad, and my in-game books will look pretty. :U

I'm kind of sensing that Bioxx would rather have you pull out a pen and some paper so you could annotate these things as you discover them in game, like those old-school RPGs that were basically unbeatable without either flawless memory, or decent note taking skills. I realize you're basically suggesting an in-game version of that, but yeah. The dev team wants it in your head, not in your Steve's head.

Instead of any sort of research system, I'd be asking for some tweaks to the upcoming book writing thing we're getting with 1.3 that would enable us to insert item sprites and crafting recipes with some simple mark-up... That way I won't have to actually write things down on a physical notepad, and my in-game books will look pretty. :U

but this still, i was thinking of a new player who spawns in this world with no clue how to do knapping or what rocks to look in to find the correct ores to start metalcraft

i just want them to be able to learn that "hey this is granite so im probably going to find some casseterite in this" without having to learn through trial and error

i just dont want people to quit because they cant find the right things to get going and end up not being able to do anything productive in this mod becuase they didnt spawn in a hickory forest with granite under it

Your heart's in the right place, but I'm sure anyone interested enough to go about downloading, and installing the mod won't be quitting just because they've hit an apparent dead end a few minutes in. It's at this point that they will either decide to tough it out, or, most likely decide to look for a starting guide.

I do feel ores should be less tier-based though.

look for a starting guide.

this is exactly the thing i want to discourage with this suggestion

i want there to be no need for a starting guide or wiki because you can examine the stuff in game and at least see some sort of use for it

but this still, i was thinking of a new player who spawns in this world with no clue how to do knapping or what rocks to look in to find the correct ores to start metalcraft

i just want them to be able to learn that "hey this is granite so im probably going to find some casseterite in this" without having to learn through trial and error

I just don’t want people to quit because they can’t find the right things to get going and end up not being able to do anything productive in this mod because they didn’t spawn in a hickory forest with granite under it

dude "without having to learn through trial and error" that just means spoon feeding them information. If they want information they know where to find it and just because they don’t spawn with ores at their feet wont make them quit. Also you don’t need tin hickory to start. In fact the only time i needed hickory was when i first started and was melting my cupper in the firepit file:///C:%5CUsers%5Cjohn%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.gif. And finally your table(which I assume is made out of wood) would not help anyone who

1. doesn’t know how knapping works.

2. doesn’t know how to craft it.

No matter how you slice it noobs are going to have to use the wiki.

I do feel ores should be less tier-based though.

Ya i know what you mean. But you can’t work with iron on a tin or zinc anvil, the anvil would melt. So it does make sense. And then there is the historical evolution of metal working

I love how the only two topics currently in active discussion - hot ones, no less - are ones that have been shot down by Dunk and have had large groups say 'no' to

dude "without having to learn through trial and error" that just means spoon feeding them information. If they want information they know where to find it and just because they don’t spawn with ores at their feet wont make them quit. Also you don’t need tin hickory to start. In fact the only time i needed hickory was when i first started and was melting my cupper in the firepit file:///C:%5CUsers%5Cjohn%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.gif. And finally your table(which I assume is made out of wood) would not help anyone who

1. doesn’t know how knapping works.

2. doesn’t know how to craft it.

No matter how you slice it noobs are going to have to use the wiki.

i was saying maybe you pick up a rock and "examine" it, it would be like "maybe if you combine two of these, you can make some sort of tool"

or if you "examine" a sapling it would say "this sapling apperas to grow well in colder/warmer biomes" or some other randomly chosen bit of information on the item

i dont want to spoon feed them information, i just want to give them a nudge in the right direction so they dont wander around confused all the time

i was saying maybe you pick up a rock and "examine" it, it would be like "maybe if you combine two of these, you can make some sort of tool"

or if you "examine" a sapling it would say "this sapling apperas to grow well in colder/warmer biomes" or some other randomly chosen bit of information on the item

i dont want to spoon feed them information, i just want to give them a nudge in the right direction so they dont wander around confused all the time

...Sarge. It ain't happening.

Just stop replying to the thread. Let it go.

guys please. We want people to be looking at other topics in the forums than this one and religion. We understand your point srgnoodles, but enough is enough. You are not a developer. You are not on this team. We have made our decision, accept it.

Yes, that is quite accurate lol