Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
plover

Fish traps and more fish

25 posts in this topic

Fish traps and nets have been part of every culture i would love to see fishpots and nets or things along with posibly some biome based fish.

It could be done but the fish would have to be like Mo's Creatures for the net to work well.

Well what if they made like some areas with higher chance to catch fishes, and it would only work with fishing nets? or traps? :mellow:

That sounds good but you would need a way to see it. How??

How about buoys, most thing have those good awful plastic floats, crab cages, those filter-like constructs, nets of varying depths, and net barriers, I'd just like to use a javelin or something on these fauna.

I believe if it was implemented nets when placed in water would have a variable chance over time to accumulate fish within a chest-like interface. a spear fishing gui could also be brought up by right clicking on an edge water block with a javelin in hand.

I believe if it was implemented nets when placed in water would have a variable chance over time to accumulate fish within a chest-like interface. a spear fishing gui could also be brought up by right clicking on an edge water block with a javelin in hand.

This is what I figured would be the most prudent way of implementing this as well. Except I didn't think of spear fishing, great idea!

I like the idea of a net/trap block that you leave out like slack said. Further out or the deeper you place it the better chance it has to accumulate fish and such. Have some kind of marker that sits above water or maybe just mark them yourself. Good idea beacause as of now fishing is not a viable food source compared to farming or ranching in the game. A possible recipe could be crafing a bunch of string together to make a net or string turns into netting which crafts into nets. Details are rough but I Iike the idea because I do like living next to water most of the time.

Why not more arbitrary block structures?

That and the fishing gui mini game for javelins seems a bit lazy, I want to be the spear chucker.

Why not more arbitrary block structures?

That and the fishing gui mini game for javelins seems a bit lazy, I want to be the spear chucker.

I agree with you I want to actually feel like I am catching the fish not just leaving it unattended.

Hey guys, this is Dunk.

I am currently in charge of the mobs for TFC, and fish are on hold for the time being. I have the model and skin for one fish, and I have plans for two more, but I'm hitting a brick wall with the code. I'm having issues developing algorithms to make the fish swim correctly and look natural with the patterns of movement, mostly issues with sinking due to gravity. Because of this, I've put fish on hold for the time being to work on other mobs, so they won't be coming soon :( sorry.

Hey guys, this is Dunk.

I am currently in charge of the mobs for TFC, and fish are on hold for the time being. I have the model and skin for one fish, and I have plans for two more, but I'm hitting a brick wall with the code. I'm having issues developing algorithms to make the fish swim correctly and look natural with the patterns of movement, mostly issues with sinking due to gravity. Because of this, I've put fish on hold for the time being to work on other mobs, so they won't be coming soon :( sorry.

Try getting in touch with the developer of tropiccraft and bouncing some ideas back and forth - his fish swim beautifully, and I'd love to see that sort of thing in TFC

With the net maybe a loom should be added to the game it would open up for cloths and backpacks to be added and made using it.

I'd love more emersive fishing, what we have now is really bad compared to everything else.

Try getting in touch with the developer of tropiccraft and bouncing some ideas back and forth - his fish swim beautifully, and I'd love to see that sort of thing in TFC

I actually got to talk with MrRube about his fish and he gave me some very useful tips. (no actual code, just pointed me in the right direction lol). When I've finished with the current mobs I'll move to the aquatic ones. (I've also promised someone something about squid)

Whales... 'nuff said. Whaling sounds really fun... In the ocean. On boats.

Whales... 'nuff said. Whaling sounds really fun... In the ocean. On boats.

A similar issue arrives from whales that does when we were discussing giant squid in another thread. TFC and minecraft's oceans are around 30 m deep (at most) and the largest whales ARE 30 m long. The proportions would be ridiculous :(

I actually got to talk with MrRube about his fish and he gave me some very useful tips. (no actual code, just pointed me in the right direction lol). When I've finished with the current mobs I'll move to the aquatic ones. (I've also promised someone something about squid)

*fistpump*

A similar issue arrives from whales that does when we were discussing giant squid in another thread. TFC and minecraft's oceans are around 30 m deep (at most) and the largest whales ARE 30 m long. The proportions would be ridiculous :(

Do I smell new ocean generation taking advantage of the new base sea level?

Do I smell new ocean generation taking advantage of the new base sea level?

theres an idea. If we do, we might add that in, but seeing as 30 m is about as deep as it can get without the player drowning, it isn't feasible for players to see the deeper oceans.

A deeper ocean would be cool, maybe there could be special kinds of mobs that could only live in salt water and die in freshwater?

Whales... Giant squid... we need a counter-balance. So I propose.... Dolphins and sharks.

theres an idea. If we do, we might add that in, but seeing as 30 m is about as deep as it can get without the player drowning, it isn't feasible for players to see the deeper oceans.

There have been people trained to salvage things from shipwrecks since before roman times. Either way, the ocean floor is pretty bland, the only reason to make it deeper would be so we can have bigger mobs.

...So basically we should be able to dive down to the bottom of the ocean and back with no gear and no fear? Bollocks to that, says I. Add some adventure to the high seas!

Make the ocean something to be tamed - something to be reared in and wrangled with before we can just use it as we will. I want to be terrified of the giants that lurk in the deeps my first time out on the open water - I want to look down and not SEE the bottom. I want to have to frantically paddle my ass back to shore as fast as the little dinghy we get will carry me with massive monsters in hot pursuit.

Because here, there be dragons.