Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

4 posts in this topic

Will we get to see electricity in TFC? It would be an end game convenience that would serve for lighting places, irrigating farms with pumps and other things the community and I will definantelly come up with

Uses for electricity

One thing it will allow us to do is power electrical water pumps that could push water thru irrigation channels so we could build farms anywhere, and not only directly in rivers or ponds. We could hook up the irrigations to barrels and other water containers (even wells maibe?) And not only to water sources. This system could also allow us to have taps in our buildings! 

Another use would be lighting our areas with light bulbs or lamps.

We could make electrical grinders to replace the generic, slow, primitive quern.

Automated electrical bellows might become a thing, they would periodically blow depending on the setting you have them on (still have to think and experiment on this one) it was just suggested.

Light bulb crafting

We could build light bulbs and lamps to light up our places, light bulbs would be made by pouring molten glass into ceramic molds and the bulb's conductive bits would also be made by pouring molten iron into the right mold. We would also need a wolfram (a metal that melts at very high temperatures) as a filament, it would spawn in the ground as ore, as usual, and to make it into a filament you would have to hammer it on an anvil and respect the blueprint. (Maibe we would need a chisel to make it because its SOO small, the hammer would be hard to use?) Of course, you'd do it after making it an ingot and heating it.

Wire usage

Electricity would not travel thru the humongous, classic modded Minecraft wires, instead we would use copper wire on blocks and simply make them conduct electricity, they would have to touch a generator and the consumer (pump, light, etc) to power the consumer. Uninsulated wire could only be put in wood (cuz its an insulator) and insulated wire would go in anything, AND on top of blocks as a standalone blocock.

Making copper / insulated wire

Copper wire would be made by, again, pouring copper in the right mold. One mold could make 4 wire out of 1/4 of an ingot, so it would take 25 units of copper to make 4 wire, so out of one ingot you could make 16 wire, which considering wire is tiny, is reasonable IMHO. To insulate it, you would use rubber that you get from the occasional rubber tree patch you'll find by using a tap on its trunk above a bucket, the bucket would very slowly fill over time. One would have to put the raw rubber physicly into an ingot mold and melt the rubber, after, you would put the copper wire into a mold and pour the rubber in said mold with the 4(?) Copper wires to be insulated. Now you can place the insulated wire anywhere.

Generators

The generator would be made like this if:

P - iron plate ; W - copper wire ; T - turbine ; M - magnetite (small) D - iron disc

P      W      W

T      D       M

P      P        P

Plates, cilinders, and the disc would be made of 1 iron ingot, 4 turbine blades would be combined with a cillinder to make the turbine. 1 ingot would equal 4 blades.

It would need a steam boiler next to it to work, you have to fuel it with either wood or coal and water is also needed to make steam.

If: P - iron plates ; B - Brick blocks (any kind) its crafted like this

P              P

B      P     B

B             B

Water pipes

Irrigation pipes can be made of clay, you would simply use the clay forming to make them by making 2 straight lines in it (to not conflict with chisels) and firing it as usual. One pit could hold 4 molds, which would get you 8 clay pipes. These can be placed exactly like insulated wires.

Water pumps

Again, I'll look it up and come with a recipe

I'll continue thinking to come up with more stuff in a bit :)

Edited by EndR20

I like this idea. The copper wires could be placed like Red Power cables, and electricity could be conducted in circuits of wires instead of just lines. The generators could just be primitive batteries, because during the scientific revolution most people just used big batteries for their experiments. Speaking of experiments, here are a few ideas that might fit into TFC:

Electrolysis - We could use electricity to rip apart substances and get new substances, like sodium and chlorine from salt, or hydrogen and oxygen from water. This could expand on alchemy, and be used to prank your friends.

Rudimentary Motors - If a mechanical power/machine system is implemented, we could craft rudimentary motors from wood and magnetite, used to produce electricity from spinning cogs and axles, or to create rotational energy from electricity. This would also allow the player to produce electricity from windmills and water wheels.

Basic Tesla Coils - We could build the infamous Tesla Coil to shock anything within a small radius. It cannot kill, but it will send animals running, and weaken monsters.

Advanced Metallurgical Appliances - We could construct heating coils from tungsten/wolfram to heat up ovens and we could build mechanical bellows powered by cogs to heat up furnaces while we're away. No more babysitting that batch of metal!

I didn't even think of windmills man! Yea! I was going straight for coal in my idea! Also, its not like I'm a genius for this idea, it was way more than obvious that this would come after the iron / steel age.

Electrolisys would be fun I guess, but how could it be used in a productive way, or are you thinking I'd just be for fun?

I was thinking of the motors too, but couldn't figure out a good recipe, it would be used to make gennys, water mills and the electrical grinder I have just thought of

The Tesla coils seem very ridiculous for TFC to be honest man xD I think we should leave that to suggestions based on magic, cuz if the coils were a thing, they would use a lot of energy probably, so it wouldn't be viable. Especially with the chunk protection in TFC

That's also an idea, maibe doing it like that would be slightly more efficient than just burning the wood on a campfire or coal on a forge too, so there would be a reason behind it. Oooorr it could just be a faster cooker. Bout the bellows, don't know how it would work, because something has already come up saying that automating it would be inefficient on coal

Also, there already is a topic on mechanical power, just a heads up :-)