Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

7 posts in this topic

It seems pretty obvious at this point that TFC2 is going to feature a lot more animals than TFC1. But what about plants? One thing that I have always found lacking in minecraft and TFC is the lack of interesting plantlife. TFC1 can pull off a grassy meadow look with its grass and wildflowers, but falls apart in forests and jungles by using the same plants. Even when plants are supposed to look different, they often look samey because they all use the cross model, and can just be walked through heedlessly.

I propose that we build a list of plants that would fit within various biomes, and allow the community to help texture and model new plants. Perhaps Bioxx could add a way for MCMC to export to .json block models, to make it easier for people who want to help. I for one don't know any programs as good as MCMC, and model by hand usually, which most people probably wouldn't want to do, and takes too long.

Agreed.  I don't know how plants affect the graphic overhead, but I've seen some pretty plant-heavy play-throughs in single player at least, and forests and jungles especially would benefit from new plants.  I would think that if MCMC could have a few model pre-sets, for 1, 2, and 3-high plant sprites, and all the user has to do is load their texture they've made, that would make it pretty easy for people to make plant textures.

51 minutes ago, Darmo said:

Agreed.  I don't know how plants affect the graphic overhead, but I've seen some pretty plant-heavy play-throughs in single player at least, and forests and jungles especially would benefit from new plants.  I would think that if MCMC could have a few model pre-sets, for 1, 2, and 3-high plant sprites, and all the user has to do is load their texture they've made, that would make it pretty easy for people to make plant textures.

yeah, I think that would be a good solution. I am not sure if you would want to use a generic model for a 3 block tall plant, as I for one think that large plants using the cross model start to look like cardboard cutouts. We could have another Google doc for any plants that would require custom models, like bamboo, or ferns that grow on the side of trees, or for that matter ferns that look like ferns and not like horsetail. You would maybe want a model option for vine varieties and one that lies flat like moss.

I love this idea so much- and yeah it would be awesome to have LOTS of more flora, as well as let the community help out with it. It would also be good to have things like epiphytes or bracket fungi (which you did kinda mention the epiphytic ferns, but more than just ferns (as much as i love ferns :P)). One mod that does this really well actually is Plant Mega pack, and although it uses the cross plant model, for things like vines, ground cover, bamboo, epiphytes, etc, it poses some model ideas that could work in TFC too.

15 hours ago, yeahminecraft16 said:

I love this idea so much- and yeah it would be awesome to have LOTS of more flora, as well as let the community help out with it. It would also be good to have things like epiphytes or bracket fungi (which you did kinda mention the epiphytic ferns, but more than just ferns (as much as i love ferns :P)). One mod that does this really well actually is Plant Mega pack, and although it uses the cross plant model, for things like vines, ground cover, bamboo, epiphytes, etc, it poses some model ideas that could work in TFC too.

Playing Plant Mega Pack as part of TNFC is part of what gave me the idea for TFC2. I like the mod, and think plants are great for adding atmosphere. And, if TFC2 ends up having alchemy, it will be good to have a large variety of plants and flowers.

Yeah it will be awesome to have more wild Flora for prettyness, but also with actual uses mainly for food sources / healing properties / poison uses :

- Cattails (head to roots, good wild food source)

- Stinging Nettle (good like spinach, cloth fiber & insect repulsive on plants when macerated)

- Heracleum (Hogweed or Cow parsnip, phototoxic but food source when cooked)

- Calendula / Marigold (to heal wounds)

- Digitalis (pretty but deadly)

- Wild nuts, roots, fruit...

And the wild plants can be what you need to start farming and selecting :

- Wild cereals becoming wheat or barley at some point,

- Wild "Apiaceae / Umbelliferae" bush becoming carrots, parnships, hogweed (food) or hemlock (poison).

For that the best could be to see Survivalist videos focus on plants around the world and historical uses (at least North America & Europe to begin)

Edited by lucan6029

Also, some food sources that have a very slim chance to give a seed, but can be harvested multiple times, while in the wild. That way, you would only need to harvest it like 100 times to be able to plant it in your own farm. Or make your house nearby.