Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
GnomeKnight

Questions about sapling growth

3 posts in this topic

So after reading previous post about tree farming, and the way the sapling grows. I have questions about it how do saplings grow? (I need at least minimum information just enough to understand it) Also is it not possible to make a wall of trees anymore? and last question do i have to be in a loaded chunk. So i can make the saplings grow in the chunk when the time is right? 

I posted this on Reddit a while ago. It might help. 

So I've been asked a fair bit about TFC tree farms. I posted this previously on Etho's Reddit. So I thought I'd put together some of the things I've learned.

They All Fall Down

First big thing is the elusive chop one tree they all fall down. So the key to this is having the same type of tree in a given area. Now the y axis gets messy and confusing as does the top canopy where logs can intermix, so I'll stick to the base of the trees all on the same y level.

When you chop down a tree it scans a 7x7 area centred on the tree. Any tree of the same variety, no matter what, will be chopped down. Nothing else is considered. You can strip every leaf off, the leaves between trees don't have to have ever touched.

Now here is where it gets interesting. Every secondary tree that is cut down scans that same 7x7 area around it. So it will cascade out. The maximum scan distance from the original tree though is a 21x21 area centred on the tree you chopped. http://i.imgur.com/7V9CbRB.png[/img] shows the area. The blue is the initial scan area and the red is the maximum area that these scans will reach.

Tree Growth

So trees growth requirements aren't too much different than what you see in vanilla. The size of area they need varies. I don't know the details of every tree. So I'll give what info I do know. All trees have a lag time from when you plant to when they will have the chance to grow. This varies from 7-11 days and WAILA will show you the days remaining in the cool down timer. After the cool down timer is complete they grow like vanilla trees due to a random growth tick.

There are some trees that I've seen grow directly beside each other, but the majority seem to need at least 1 block space. Usually you will only see trees grow this close if you trim their leaves.

If they "can't" grow WAILA will give a message telling you to clear enough space. I say "can't" because it isn't absolute. Just like vanilla if there are things blocking them they will roll for growth. So overtime one of the saplings that can't grow get a growth tick they do actually have a chance to grow. The chance seems to be dependent on how much they are blocked, yes leaves count.

So What

So taking it together there are a few designs I'd suggest. Oh and a tip. Shears.  In TFC leaves don't drop as blocks and shears instantly break leave blocks without taking any damage. The advantage over the scythe is that it doesn't have a penalty for sapling drops. The sapling drop is halved with the scythe.

Design 1

First is a farm much like Etho's, but spacing the trees so that there are 2 blocks in between. http://i.imgur.com/fh8akx3.png[/img] This gives trees enough space that you are more likely to have all of them grow in a reasonable amount of time. The nice thing is that even if they don't all grow you can still have a chopping cascade spread out to the maximum 21x21 farm. 

Now tree type is important.

• Probably the best tree for this design is spruce. They grow straight (I can't remember every having a branching one), tall and don't mind this spacing too much. 

• Pine also works well, but the number of leaf blocks per tree can make keeping up sapling supplies a bit challenging. 

• White cedar seems the ideal tree as it grows a 3x3 leaf canopy and never blocks its neighbours or takes up leave block space, but they are short trees (saplings can also be challenging). 

• Douglas Fir is the ultimate tree farm tree. Although they can grow with a 1 block spacing, the chances of them doing this without you clearing leaves are very low. Even the 2 block spacing has a very low rate of tree growth. 3 Spacing they grow quite happily, but this means they don't cascade.

Design 2

This design is simple and I only ever use it for Douglas Firs and Willows. I do willow farms like this for sticks and usually only short term. Willow isn't bad for wood, but their large canopies block a lot of saplings.

I lay out a square area and do solid lines of trees with 1 block spacing between lines. That is it. The size will depend on the number of saplings you have. Basically the idea isn't to get the cascade, but to just get a lot of wood. So all the saplings will count down and be ready to grow at the same time. Some will grow some will be blocked. However the ones that don't grow are primed to grow. Then I just go along the interior lines of trees shearing/scything leaves. Once I have all the sticks/saplings I want/need or I'm just sick of climbing trees (I always just put ladders up), I start chopping. Now during this time usually a few more trees will grow in the spaces I've created. I look for some that are spaced right for getting a cascade and chop away. Again clearing space for some of those primed saplings to grow. Plant saplings in the empty spots and come back when I need more.

It isn't the old wall of wood, but I'm able to fill my wood needs quite quickly and with a decent sized area planted there are always trees ready to be chopped.

Hope that helps some folks.

Edit: Oh fun fact. You can get sequoia saplings, but only from reforestation. Tree saplings can spawn in if the conditions are correct and the chunk is loaded over time. So it is possible to find sequoia saplings in the world before they grow. You only need one sapling to grow a tree and if you stand on block where you plant sapling and look NW that is where it will grow. There is no way to obtain acacia and kapok saplings without cheating them in. I've never tested if they even will grow.

Should this post be "sticky-ed" :)
(I see now I should have said "pinned")

Great post, Bunsan

Edited by ChunkHunter