Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Mailleweaver

Smithing depth

7 posts in this topic

Create some depth to smithing with mechanics affected by player skill or knowledge (vs character skill numbers) and/or with tool/weapon alterations that have benefits and tradeoffs for more advanced play. Some could be more or less ignored by simple players, but research and practice could increase their smithing effectiveness or tool/weapon/armor utility.

For example:

• Track how much an ingot has been worked and decrease final tool durability based on this (maybe even to the point of making the ingot unusable, requiring it to be smelted and re-cast). This would incentivize learning efficient forging practices vs just semi-randomly banging on a piece of metal until it suddenly turns into something. Even master smiths may turn out shoddy products if they're lazy, and apprentice smiths can improve on what they're able to forge. Maybe even give a boost or penalty to the smithing skill gained based on how the resulting item's final durability compares to base durability.
  • Add a simple range of hardy tools that can be forged and equipped in the anvil to:
  1. decrease the amount of work needed in forging certain items
  2. or decrease certain actions' effects on the "how much it's been worked" meter
  3. or enable certain actions (like a wedge for cutting refined blooms into ingots, a drawplate for drawing, and a swage for forming armor plates)
  • Add heat treating methods to:
  1. anneal ingots (lower the "how much it's been worked" meter or decrease the following actions' effect on the "how much it's been worked" meter)
  2. harden tools/weapons/armor after they've been made (slightly increase mining speed, armor rating, etc) at the cost of decreased durability (due to chipping from being brittle)
  3. temper tools/weapons/armor after they've been made (slightly increase durability)
  • Add sharpening to tools and weapons (to increase dig speed or damage at the cost of some durability due to the loss of material during sharpening)
  • Add runes that could be chiseled or acid etched into tools/weapons/armor to apply various enchantments for various costs (armor enchant that sometimes absorbs damage as hunger instead of health, tool enchant that increases mining speed at the cost of increased thirst drain, general enchant that powers-up or charges other enchantments by killing mobs or consuming inventory items, etc.)

sounds good, i love metalurgy i just joined terrafirmacraft fourms and this is like my first fourm :P but anyways i am a 12 year old, rip who dosent liek minecraft alot, but i looooveee TFC and im going to start modding etc in either five months or sooner maybye, basically right now i have a bad macintosh thats not decent engohf for many thingsbutttt i can still do things pretty well and it can play games, its not horible, main thing is loading times. but these sound like good ideeas :D

I really like that idea of etched runes in tools. Those runes could be used to channel whatever form of magic is coming to TFC in the future, like a dual purpose wand.

I like the Idea of etching and customizing your tools/weapons/armor. It'd be nice if some of the changes you go do were aesthetic as well. Something like plating, engraving, or a sword handle using different types of leather that effect color or stats.

Edited by Stroam

Ya, it'd definitely be good to have customization and more depth.  Things that could be affected are damage, durability, swing speed, and crit chance (remove vanilla jump-crits).  I'd previously suggested case hardening to increase durability, and pattern welding to increase damage, though I think that could also make sense for crits.   I think it'd be great to have more processes, although I think it'd be best if the benefit was commensurate with the effort involved. 

Tempering could be a process controlled by the oil supply.  Thereby giving a better incentive than just lamps.  Which for me was never really worth the effort.  Of course TFC2 could theoretically have other sources of oil (i.e. animals).

I don't know that hardies would be enough of a justification to make smithing easier.  Depends on the process to make them.  But if you just make them by smithing an ingot, well, that's pretty easy to do.   I previously suggested trip hammers as a tool for enlarging the smithing target, or otherwise simplifying smithing.  But trip hammers would need a power source and a lot of metal.  I was envisioning them as next-tier tech.  I could definitely see hardies as being a prerequisite for certain tools.   Mushroom, fuller, swage, cutoff, each tool, weapon, and armor could require a specific one, and hardies could wear out, as opposed to the anvil which does not.  They'd be a bit like the tuyere, in that they're an expendable component.

Another interesting thought would be if hardies have specific affects on the numbers.  One might add 1, another might add 10%?  20%?  and commesurate subtractions.  I don't know the exact number involved.  But in this scenario, smithing could probably be more randomized, because the player could use hardies to modify the numbers and thereby achieve any target.  There'd probably need to be a disadvantage though, such as a number of moves penalty, which is enhanced by hardies.  That way it's still best to use normal moves whenever possible.   My previous experience with smithing, where I recorded the moves necessary for a variety of tools, was that it took anywhere from 9 to 13 moves to hit a variety of tool/weapon/armor targets.  That's a fairly narrow range, and so I think it'd be reasonable to have penalties for an excessive amount of moves.

Runes does sound like a good prerequisite for enchanting.  A good use for acid, which might be made with some of the currently more useless minerals like bismuth, sphalerite, or cassiterite.

I am all for more specialized and realistic smithing, and would download Tfc just for tempering, annealing and quenching, and using oil to quench is an excellent idea.

If we could do away with dumb metals like black, blue and red steel and have higher tier tools come from skillfully forged steel, this would be awesome.

20 hours ago, bilbobuddy said:

I am all for more specialized and realistic smithing, and would download Tfc just for tempering, annealing and quenching, and using oil to quench is an excellent idea.

If we could do away with dumb metals like black, blue and red steel and have higher tier tools come from skillfully forged steel, this would be awesome.

Could be awesome. And we would no longer need black, red and blue steels as they're going to add a new alloying system which you could use to make your own alloys.