Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
vladthemad

Modded Ore Generation

10 posts in this topic

Wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, but I didn't think it fit in with addons or support all that well either. I've been checking out modding TFC a bit, just to add immersive engineering. I know I can easily add the bauxite ore to generate, but I would prefer it spawned more like TFC ore....where it's a layer over an existing stone block instead of a new block itself. This is purely for aesthetic purposes, but spawning in immersive engineering's ore block with it's ore over vanilla stone texture is unsightly when you run into it.

Can this be done? If I use the custom items mod to make the ore overlay and surface items, what else would I need to do besides adding it to the ore config to get them to work if anything?

Barring that, I suppose I could make a separate ore block for each type of TFC stone with custom items, but this would require a lot more items to be generated, so I'd prefer the first method if possible.

Exactly how you described - make block with TFC rock texture with ore deposit.

You can limit generation to certain stone type, for example claystone, if you are using claystone texture as a bauxite ore background. It is fair in my opinion, because it is 'advanced' ore and no need to spawn it everywhere.

In addition, TFC doesn't recognize properly ores with meta tags, which results with propick signaling IE copper ore instead of bauxite. Solved with custom ore.

Alright, after lengthy testing, I figured out that I shouldn't capitalize the name of the ore, or it causes crashes. :) I think I have it set up correctly, but the prospector pick doesn't seem to work right on mod ores. It shows them as copper ore. I know I read about this somewhere before, but my Google Fu is failing me right now. Can anyone tell me how to correct this issue so the prospector pick will register mod ores correctly?

Thanks!

Let me guess: you tried to spawn ore with metadata >0, for example IE:ore:1 is bauxite, but IE:ore:0 is copper.

Unfortunately TFC propick cannot distinguish metadata.

The way to avoid it is to use own ore, without metadata (and with improved graphics).

1 hour ago, ciekma said:

Let me guess: you tried to spawn ore with metadata >0, for example IE:ore:1 is bauxite, but IE:ore:0 is copper.

Unfortunately TFC propick cannot distinguish metadata.

The way to avoid it is to use own ore, without metadata (and with improved graphics).

Exactly, right down to the ore and mod! Ha. I knew I read about it always returning as copper somewhere, but wasn't sure if it could be fixed. Adding in a new ore with the Custom Items mod is doable, but seems a bit of a pain for one dang ore. Custom Items always seems to take forever to load, the first few times I thought it had locked up Minecraft.

I was mulling something over though. There are ores that are unused in TFC, and not just the "useless" ones you run into in the game.  There's petrified wood, satinspar, serpentine, etc. I was wondering if I could use minetweaker to rename those, and have it generate like a normal TFC ore...transparent texture over TFC stone block. You could change the texture in the resource folder, or just find one that looks similar. I haven't given it a shot yet, just thought of it as you responded. I'll monkey with it a bit and let you know what I find.

Edit: Alright, I tested it. If you use minetweaker to rename one of the unused ores (I tested on Olivine) and then used TFC ore gen it shows up in the overworld. With minetweaker, modtweaker, and the TFC addon, I don't see any way to use TFC to smelt it. As aluminum really aught not be available until you're using electricity, putting it into the smelting system of Immersive Engineering will work and be thematically correct, so that will work for me.

Edited by vladthemad

That is what we did for our pack. The issue is they don't have qualities and as you said aren't smeltable in TFC itself. But as our metal ores were osmium, bauxite and tungsten it didn't matter. The other ores we added were minerals, so didn't matter. 

1 hour ago, Bunsan said:

That is what we did for our pack. The issue is they don't have qualities and as you said aren't smeltable in TFC itself. But as our metal ores were osmium, bauxite and tungsten it didn't matter. The other ores we added were minerals, so didn't matter. 

I went back and found out I can make things smeltable/cookable with TFC Tweaker normally. It looks like the unused ores are giving me an issue though. Are you saying because the unused ores don't have an associated liquid form and TFC expects one, there's an issue? I was just testing this out using TFC Tweaker. I already used it to make hardened clay by heating clay. When I try to do the same for Olivine, which is now named Bauxite, I get an error stated "Bauxite is invalid when melted.". This is the issue you're pointing out, correct?

Yes. You need a product. In TFC the liquid metals aren't actually liquids  there is just molds filled with all possible metals with NBT. This is why I had an addon I was working on to add other ores and metals that behave like TFC. One of many reason we forked and modified TFC for our pack.

If you want hardened clay I have an addon called TerrafirmaStuff. 

On 12/3/2016 at 1:06 AM, Bunsan said:

Yes. You need a product. In TFC the liquid metals aren't actually liquids  there is just molds filled with all possible metals with NBT. This is why I had an addon I was working on to add other ores and metals that behave like TFC. One of many reason we forked and modified TFC for our pack.

If you want hardened clay I have an addon called TerrafirmaStuff. 

For hardened clay, that was easy. I was just using it to explain that I could get other items to work just fine. The unused ores weren't usable in the same way though.

In the end, I just abandoned the immersive engineering ores and replaced them with TFC ones. I replaced aluminum with tin, and did the same with the missing alloys. Close enough for government work! I'm all about making my job easier. Now I don't have to make textures, or figure out what types of stone aluminum spawns in, nor make configs to get it to spawn. :)