Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
vladthemad

Holes in the Ground & Water

11 posts in this topic

One thing that personally bugs the heck out of me, is every time I find one of these:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/99473352452375942/950124E40EA63D755A9A74F9C14F33CE5CE37E4B/

Is there anything in the settings that will prevent, or at least drastically lower the likelihood of these generating? A lot of times the water isn't even flowing. It's just standing against the open hole defying gravity. I've tried to turn off ravines, but it doesn't seem to stop holes in the ground forming next to water.

All you can do is reduce the rate of ravines in the config. The flowing water is just a consequence of the way generation works. Water exists before the ravines are created. The ravine creation doesn't update the water.

Actually, most often I run into the water NOT flowing. It's just hanging there, against the edge of a hole, not flowing down into it. In the picture I think what happened is some of the sand collapsed, causing a block update which started the water flowing. I've even turned off ravines all together in the settings, but these holes still show up. I was hoping someone else was annoyed by them too and found a solution ;) Maybe I'll try turning off caves too and see if that changes it. Worst part about it is they always seem to show up where I want to build a base! Hah.

Yes that is what I meant by water not updated. It is equivalent to MCEditting it. The water block doesn't get a neighbor block change so doesn't flow. The same thing happens in vanilla, just less prevalent. 

The worst case is, when 1-block thin water layer float above ravine. I was reporting it previously. This is not only glitchy, but make deadly trap.

Interestingly, I see sometimes dirt/gravel falling from newly discovered ravine, therefore they are updated on chunk generation.

Yes those are TFC blocks that tick randomly. Water is vanilla and doesn't tick. You'd have to ASM it and not sure how that would effect performance. 

Yeah it's kind of a pain how it generates. I hate when a lava tube or hot spring generates sticking out the side of a cliff. It's not like TFC is the only one with issues though. How about when Minecraft villages spawn on a mountain side? Or mod structures doing the same? it's like it only checks the block they are spawning on at one corner...doesn't bother to see if it's on a cliff face and now this "underground structure" is hanging out the side of a mountain in midair. Same with 2x2 or larger trees. Only checks one corner...now half the tree is hanging in mid air.

Doesn't really change gameplay, but it's ugly as sin!

I have idea, how to fix this ugly ravine issue.

Maybe it would be useful either for TFC2, or TFC1 mod, or even future TFC1 bugfix edition.

If I understand generateRavine function correctly, there is already soil/gravel water check, which replace all block above by air blocks.

My idea is to check also presence of water stationary blocks and if found, fill all block by given fluid type in a reversed order (downCount, until solid block).

Would like to add a question here: is there any way to prevent underground caves at all?

I think they are too big in TFC; whereever you dig down, you hit this underground cave world. Makes me feel I live on a sponge.

No the caves are not configurable.

On 1/13/2017 at 7:27 AM, ciekma said:

I have idea, how to fix this ugly ravine issue.

Maybe it would be useful either for TFC2, or TFC1 mod, or even future TFC1 bugfix edition.

If I understand generateRavine function correctly, there is already soil/gravel water check, which replace all block above by air blocks.

My idea is to check also presence of water stationary blocks and if found, fill all block by given fluid type in a reversed order (downCount, until solid block).

Why not just force a one-time update on the water when the ravine generates? Should be relatively easy to do with ASM.