Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmo

Armadillo

6 posts in this topic

Armadillo.  Used double-scale texture so I could fit in the bands at a decent scale. Head is a bit higher than natural, but I thought it looked better with the boxy body.  Even at this size, it'll need scale down to 50-60%.  Snout also felt like it needed a nose or something, but they don't really have noses in the normal dog or bear way.  I tried adding a single 1 pixel cube with various alignments, but they kind of seemed unnecessary, idk.   Also, the ears will actually be hollow in the end.  I left them solid for now because otherwise they look weird.  Let me know any thoughts.

ArmadilloPic.png

ArmadilloTexture2x.png

Armadillo.MCModel

It feels too tall, and have you tried curving the body in any way? I feel like the latter might be overcomplicating it, but at the same time it just doesn't look quite right as a box. Maybe the head could be curved down more? As for the texture, having double the resolution in the middle doesn't look good, and will look super noisy if this is going to be scaled down. And sorry I haven't done anything for TFC2 in a long time, but I have been busy and uninspired.

Fair enough on the bands.  I got a bit obsessed with wanting to have some variation within bands.  Here's one with normal texture size.  You're probably right about it being a better solution.

ArmadilloPic1xScale.png

As far as curving the body, you mean like the aardvark, with two angled body pieces?  I considered having smaller boxes fore and aft of the banded section (but not angled), to give it some taper.  But I've rejected such notions in animals with more taper (specifically Konlii's camel), so I couldn't justify it to myself in this case just to give a bit of taper to the body.  But, here's a rough example of how it might look with more body sections:

ArmadilloPic3Box.png

Would something like this alleviate some of your concerns?  It probably does help the head-body relationship more than for most animals, given that it has no neck.  As far as pixel size, it's 9 pixels tall, scaled down to correct size would be about 5 pixels, which is around a foot.  Technically a couple inches over the google-given max, but pretty close.  If you're talking relative to it's own proportions, I don't really see it I guess.  Maybe the 3-box body helps that height impression?  When you mention curving the head down more, you mean like, rotating the whole thing downward? Adding some extra angle to the nose so it's not square to the head?

No prob on the break.  I myself was basically absent for six months, and still don't have the spare time I used to.  Life happens, and it's not like we're on salary or anything.

I do like that 2nd body shape better, it makes it so that the head isn't such a big jump from the back and brings out the arch in the back. It also makes the proportions look a lot better to me and makes it look a lot like a box with a head. That said, the curve of the body is most noticeable when looking at it from the side, and in game you will almost always be looking down on them so it probably isn't a huge deal. I definitely like the new bands, but I think they could be increased in contrast to differentiate them from the rest of the body a bit more.

I really like the second body shape as well, Darmo. It adds more dimension to the project compared to the box of the original. Have you tried moving the head to be higher in the front of the model? Most of the photos that I have seen have the top of their head being flush with the body of the armadillo. The angle could also be altered to make the nose point towards the ground more sharply. 

Did some refinements using the 3-box body.  Darkened the dark bands, and added some noise.  Tried the head higher, but didn't think it looked right.  Ended up with too much below.  Considered sloping the body forward slightly, to give better continuity with head, but didn't really think it was that much different.  Feel free to play with it though, see what you think.

Armadillo3BoxBody.MCModel

ArmadilloPic3Box2.png

ArmadilloTexture.png