Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
manningliu

More Realistic Campfire/Firepit

25 posts in this topic

The way the fireput works right now is just fine, but I think it should have multiple input slots. That way, when we roast fish around the campfire, we don't have to take turns anymore.

Also, make it so that you need to put food in a pot, pan, or on a stick (KABOBS!!! :D) to cook it. Because it doesn't make any sense to just be able to hold a piece of meat over a fire or to throw it in the fire and have it end well.

Lastly, make it so that only the forge and Bloomery can smelt metal, make the max temp on a campfire Very Hot. (just one level before the melting point of bismuth)

(maybe increase the forge's temp?:P)

Not a bad idea really is that possible for an item to cook while its held in the inventory that would be frickin awesome. However if there are multiple inputs slots that kind of takes away from the whole process of the camp fire if there was another camp fire with an extra input slot i wouldn't mind though.

Not a bad idea really is that possible for an item to cook while its held in the inventory that would be frickin awesome. However if there are multiple inputs slots that kind of takes away from the whole process of the camp fire if there was another camp fire with an extra input slot i wouldn't mind though.

What do you mean by multiple input slots take away form the process? and by holding a piece of meat in your hand and cooking it, I didn't mean cooking something in the inventory. Its just that, putting something into the campfire to cook it without anything to hold it out of the fire kind of feels like the player is holding the meat with his bare hands and cooking it.

and it makes sense that you can cook more than one item in one square metre of fire

Lastly, make it so that only the forge and Bloomery can smelt metal, make the max temp on a campfire Very Hot. (just one level before the melting point of bismuth)

If you take real life metals in a game trying to be believable, then you should give them it's real life's melting point. As i know, a campfire can heat up to 700°C -or 1292°F-, while bismuth melts at 271°C -or 519.8°F-. This also applies to tin -which melts at 232°C- and zinc -420°C-.

Although i find a little annoying the fact of only having one input for the campfire, i don't think that adding inputs is the solution. If you can't wait, get some cobble, some coal/charcoal and make a fire pit.

Anyway, i agree with you that's a little fake the way we simply throw items in the fireplace and they magically don't get burned out -except for sticks, it isn't that hard to hold a stick over a fire...-. I think stcks would be the first way to hold the items, as any kind of pot or pan would require metals -i don't see myself crafting a stone pot in the Flintstones's way-

It's a nice idea, but if you do so, it gives you no incentive whatsoever to build a forge and advance.

I don't like the idea of needing sticks. Sticks is the one thing I am constantly running out of and if I need it for such a basic necessity of food then I don't get torches. Sticks are already used in dozens of minecraft recipes, why add another log to that fire? I'd love to see some of the more 'useless' items get more love before finding yet another use for sticks.

It's a nice idea, but if you do so, it gives you no incentive whatsoever to build a forge and advance.

I don't like the idea of needing sticks. Sticks is the one thing I am constantly running out of and if I need it for such a basic necessity of food then I don't get torches. Sticks are already used in dozens of minecraft recipes, why add another log to that fire? I'd love to see some of the more 'useless' items get more love before finding yet another use for sticks.

I think the reason there is only one input slot is to prevent us from cooking a stack at a time (exaggeration) I personally have trouble cooking multiple things at a time. I love the idea of holding something over a fire though still, a pan would be cool but I'm not sure how it would work. I agree with Phoenix though normal sticks are in short supply, however what about reeds, and metal sticks. The reeds would burn out eventually while the metal ones would last forever. And for the record the Native Americans cooked things in the fire by placing them on a rock, so throwing things in the fire could make sense if there was a rock in the middle.

If you take real life metals in a game trying to be believable, then you should give them it's real life's melting point. As i know, a campfire can heat up to 700°C -or 1292°F-, while bismuth melts at 271°C -or 519.8°F-. This also applies to tin -which melts at 232°C- and zinc -420°C-.

Although i find a little annoying the fact of only having one input for the campfire, i don't think that adding inputs is the solution. If you can't wait, get some cobble, some coal/charcoal and make a fire pit.

Anyway, i agree with you that's a little fake the way we simply throw items in the fireplace and they magically don't get burned out -except for sticks, it isn't that hard to hold a stick over a fire...-. I think stcks would be the first way to hold the items, as any kind of pot or pan would require metals -i don't see myself crafting a stone pot in the Flintstones's way-

You don't even need to make a stone pan, just do like most do.. Keep a big flat-ish stone next to your fire pit an cook on it (Or once your fire burns own into coals stick the rock in there)

Hehe people need to think a little more primitively.

^ Great minds think alike.

oooohhhh maybe if we add pots and stuff we could make SOUP!!!!!!

you would put some water, chicken some veggies and seasoning (some kind of seeds or dired plants) in the pot, let it cook and you would have chicken soup!!!

or if you put like beef potatoes and carrots in there you could make beef stew

you would have to craft some kind of spit to hang the ot from because you dont just stick a pot inside a fire

ooh or you could make some kind of fried fish in a pan by putting oil or fat and a fish in there

or you could put an egg in a pan and make fried eggs or in a pot to make hard boiled eggs

Perhaps one could construct a "spit" which would be added "above" the firepit similarly to placing a bellows? Multiple pieces of food could be added to the spit?

Perhaps one could construct a "spit" which would be added "above" the firepit similarly to placing a bellows? Multiple pieces of food could be added to the spit?

you would have to craft some kind of spit to hang the ot from because you dont just stick a pot inside a fire

god this is the second time i've had to do this just this morning. will you people actully read the responses before you post?

speaking of cooking... maybe a late-game craftable item could be a crude stove of sorts - possibly even with a stone top. It could go like so:

S = raw stone (igneous intrusive), M = metal sheet (copper or wrought iron)

S S SM   MM M M

You put logs in as fuel, and it has 4 input slots. However, these input slots will ONLY accept uncooked food items, and nothing else. That's the copper version. If you use wrought iron instead, it has 6 input slots and can also use charcoal.

-edit: It, like the forge, would also need clear line to the sky somewhere.

It would make more sense if the stone and sheet metals were reversed in the recipe. Also, the stove shouldn't be able to be made of copper because copper can be melted on a camp fire, even if it does melt at orange****. Instead, it could be made of any metal higher than copper. The stoves could use coal, charcoal, or logs as fuel and shouldn't accept anything you wouldn't normally cook on a stove.

What if it were possible to make smoke pipes out of sheet metals to make the path to the sky less noticeable.

It would make more sense if the stone and sheet metals were reversed in the recipe. Also, the stove shouldn't be able to be made of copper because copper can be melted on a camp fire, even if it does melt at orange****. Instead, it could be made of any metal higher than copper. The stoves could use coal, charcoal, or logs as fuel and shouldn't accept anything you wouldn't normally cook on a stove.

What if it were possible to make smoke pipes out of sheet metals to make the path to the sky less noticeable.

I would have to agree, I'd say a stove would have to be made out of iron (or steal if you want to waste it).. After all they were still making cast iron stoves and ovens up till the 40's or so but even electric stoves don't use copper in the filaments it would melt them.

And funny thing is most people either dealt with smokey and sooty houses or.. Later on they used rolled metal for exhaust pipes like Fred suggested

-the two above posts-

That was exactly my point. Copper melts at orange, and this cannot accept anything other than food.

However having just looked it up, I've found that the first metal stoves weren't invented until the early 1700s, just within Bioxx's listed 400 year cut-off date for technology.

So change the metal sheets to brick blocks and forget the upgrade to iron. Early stoves were stone and ceramic brick anyway.

You want my opinion on it? Have the ability to make a bigger fire, like a bon-fire or something. Have it burn wood just a little more quickly, and have 2-3 inputs.

speaking of cooking... maybe a late-game craftable item could be a crude stove of sorts - possibly even with a stone top. It could go like so:

S = raw stone (igneous intrusive), M = metal sheet (copper or wrought iron)

S S SM   MM M M

You put logs in as fuel, and it has 4 input slots. However, these input slots will ONLY accept uncooked food items, and nothing else. That's the copper version. If you use wrought iron instead, it has 6 input slots and can also use charcoal.

-edit: It, like the forge, would also need clear line to the sky somewhere.

Ah, now this would be a good incentive to use those precious metals if one were able to put a stack of uncooked food in it instead of cooking everything one at a time. :)

Ah, now this would be a good incentive to use those precious metals if one were able to put a stack of uncooked food in it instead of cooking everything one at a time. :)

erm... did you read the post? You can't use precious metals... and it wouldn't be stacks at a time, it would only have 6 slots. You'd cook things 6 at a time instead of one, but you still can't do 64 at a time.

And also I retracted the idea for metal a few posts down

Decided to research this for almost no apparent reason. A rock has a thermal conductivity of 2-7 and a sheet of silver has 429 (brick has 1.31 because of the air gaps) and a melting point of 962 deg Celsius so it would make a rather nice stove top really far better than a rock.

Decided to research this for almost no apparent reason. A rock has a thermal conductivity of 2-7 and a sheet of silver has 429 (brick has 1.31 because of the air gaps) and a melting point of 962 deg Celsius so it would make a rather nice stove top really far better than a rock.

Unfortunately like most other metals that are good thermal conductors... Silver is also a rather soft metal and it wouldn't keep it's shape if you made a stove out of it, specially once you started heating it up.

erm... did you read the post? You can't use precious metals... and it wouldn't be stacks at a time, it would only have 6 slots. You'd cook things 6 at a time instead of one, but you still can't do 64 at a time.

And also I retracted the idea for metal a few posts down

Yes I did. I meant metals that are hard to find ie. precious. Iron is very hard to find and used in many many things. It is precious.

Not precious metals like silver.

Again, not seeing how 4 or 6 slots is much of an upgrade to the 5 slot forge. Maybe have the ability to only stick 5 at a time in or something- THEN it would be useful but I really do not support downgrading of things to put in more tedium.

exactly why I said to buff the forge and nerf the campfire

and if you take a scyth to a sequoia tree then you'll come to realise that sticks are not really that hard to get

1. you ever try to melt metal in your fireplace? it would either take an insane amount of time or just wouldn't work.

2. Posted Image how would you like to take turns cooking stuff when theres this many people?

3. exactly why I said to buff the forge and nerf the campfire

and if you take a scyth to a sequoia tree then you'll come to realise that sticks are not really that hard to get

Posted Image

I got a better idea... SMOKE BLOCKS! they will always try to rise up and will act like water(except goes up instead of down) and will eventually fill up the whole place if you don't let them out. they will suffocate you. I think this ideas if much better than having to have your fire have a direct pathway to the sky

I think the "direct pathway to the sky" thing is overly realistic, and the higher y-axis stuff being better for forges etc is actually unrealistic. I'd like to be able to build underground complexes with forges and whatnot, but current mechanics make that difficult.