Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

15 posts in this topic

Has this ever been done? I'd be really up for it... Like, a UHC in Terrafirmacraft...

It would be long! i would imagine you may even want to split the game over several sessions...

I'd imagine you'd want to play in teams of at least 3 people per team, and have some sort of world border that everyone's bases would need to be within... perhaps you could explore any distance outside the world border but would have to return  to the main area frequently... not sure.

If anyone else is interested let me know and we can maybe start to make plans and discuss how it might work!

On 3/6/2017 at 5:24 AM, DankNStein said:

Has this ever been done? ...Like, a UHC in Terrafirmacraft...

It has, as a matter of fact - It was done by Pakratt & et al, and they called it "Terrafirmacrack".  Three seasons in 2012, 2013, and 2014.  They did indeed work in teams (up to 7 per team, in season 3), and spread it over the course of a week (again, iirc).  I've only fully watched the third season.  It's a different dynamic from a normal UHC, with great focus on raiding bases, hiding bases, and even building base defenses.  It's a large time investement for the players, and unfortunately that seems to lead to more saltiness than a normal minecraft UHC, which is much less time invested.  The third season ended a bit bitterly and they didn't do one after that, to the best of my knowledge.  Fun to watch though, as it's so different.  I do think that it would be really good for TFC2 to have a 'UHC mode' that made for quicker gameplay in a UHC type of setting, to get it down to one day's worth of gameplay.

Edited by Darmo

aha interesting, cheers for the heads up. i'll have to watch some of this tonight.... i think this is deffo something I'd want to do one day... or something similar if anyone is up for it?

If you do, some things to consider

Teams should be balanced based on time.  They did this in season 3, at least.  The idea being that you don't end up with a team filled with people with tons of time, and another team with people with very little time.   Since so much of TFC is grindy, it makes a huge difference.   Get an idea of who plans to xpend X,Y, or Z hours per day, and try to distribute the teams evenly based on that.

I'd also suggest rules about raiding.  For instance 'chest busting' was rather pernicious.  You just bust open a chest to let everything inside despawn.   Really unnecessary considering most chests are filled with dirt and semi-worthless stuff anyway.  When a team is down, it's really just kicking them while they're down.  If I were setting it up I'd forbid chest busting, and intentional leaving of items to despawn.  If you don't want them to have something, you have to carry it away yourself.   I'd stipulate that animal killing is allowed but  you have to leave 1 animal of each gender.  Blast furnaces and bloomeries are off limits if the raiding team already has them themselves.  And if you're in another team's base, you're not allowed to block them off when they've respawned and have no tools.  Also no touching other teams' beds.  

I think those rules would prevent a lot of saltiness, while still allowing good base raiding.

wow thanks man, yes that all seems to be spoken like a true pro... im just about to settle into watching some of that third season you linked to. i can see now what you mean about people getting pissed off. I think like you said, the ideal thing probably would be to find a way to do the whole thing in one sitting like a traditional UHC... will be giving this some more thought over the next few days.

and if anyone else is interested do get in touch!

15 hours ago, Darmo said:

I'd also suggest rules about raiding.

Much to many rules. It wont work even if only trusted friends are playing.

Simply you need claims for team base. Use either Forge Essentials mod (admin can set groups members and group protected area) or Territorial Dealings mod (it is simply mod, you claim chunk using claim document item, these items are uncraftable in TFC (need vanilla gold) but is good feature - admin can give such paper for each team, and teams can claim their base where they want - but cannot abuse it and claim many chunks around other base.

By the way, I always put precious items in well hidden chest. The only risk is that I can forgot where this chest was buried :)

2 hours ago, ciekma said:

you claim chunk using claim document item,

that sounds like a decent solution... i've been thinking more and one thing i thought about was doing some sort of capture the flag model, where you have a central chuck that you score points on for every day it is 'held' - this would make team bases less of an issue as all the beef would happen on neutral ground.... hmmm

On 3/8/2017 at 4:04 AM, ciekma said:

Much to many rules. It wont work even if only trusted friends are playing.

What makes you say that?  Have you watched those videos?  They had several rules, including very specific rules that no more people can raid a base than are present of the other team.  So if only one enemy is in base, then only one raider can actively raid.  They also had rules about no breaking of beds.   These were not coded rules, but they followed these rules.  It's not difficult for a group of friends/professional associates.   It could work fine in a small group UHC setting.  Obviously it would not work in a BadLion-like environment where it's just a constant churn of strangers.

We have pvp on waterhollow. Just with protection from base raids etc. Also have keep inventory on so its just sends them back to their spawn point. Unless you are off in the seas on a ship(ships mod) then they could steal your ship after killing everyone on board. So more based around sea pirate style raiding I guess you could say.

It really seems to work well this way. No one gets to angry when pvp does happen since you really dont lose anything other than some time running back to where you were.

I don't think it's nice to be attacked in the wild while exploring, just because somone decided to kill you.

Whether you lose your inventory or not isn't a main issue in a pvp server, in my opinion. It's a risk we should accept.

I think that a huge faction based pvp, where people join a nation to fight their rivals to control ressources is way more interesting for TFC...
"They have some nickle deposits and we don't? Let's conquer their lands! We don't have silver mines to exploit anymore? Let's attack our enemies!

It would be so interesting to have three to five people in factions that are grouped in nations, with towns/villages that have to work together to protect their lands, and having to plan who should raid their rivals, steal their precious ores, or conquer new towns, or even forcing some nations to change to become neutral, or take a side in a conflict... Build forts, diplomacy, espionnage...

I have already used towny plugin, and I can tell it is quite possible to do such things with it. I have never seen it used for pvp purposes in vanilla Minecraft, but I think it is due to the even repartition of ressources, unlike TFC.

Well, I do know this sounds idealistic. Loosing your armor when you're killed is still a problem, as you have to get a new one, and you may give lots of ressources to your enemies. And same about other ressources and tools. I think creating a plugin making the lost of equipment when dead random. And you may never see huge battles with keepInventory, as people would just come back fully geared again and again.

An other problem would be the size of the map. It should be adapted to the number of players. You don't want it too big, or you may never see any conflict happening.

And finally, the number of interested players can be an issue too, knowing that people who wouldn't want to fight can still make food, mine...

17 hours ago, MonyClair said:

I don't think it's nice to be attacked in the wild while exploring, just because somone decided to kill you.

Whether you lose your inventory or not isn't a main issue in a pvp server, in my opinion. It's a risk we should accept.

I think that a huge faction based pvp, where people join a nation to fight their rivals to control ressources is way more interesting for TFC...
"They have some nickle deposits and we don't? Let's conquer their lands! We don't have silver mines to exploit anymore? Let's attack our enemies!

It would be so interesting to have three to five people in factions that are grouped in nations, with towns/villages that have to work together to protect their lands, and having to plan who should raid their rivals, steal their precious ores, or conquer new towns, or even forcing some nations to change to become neutral, or take a side in a conflict... Build forts, diplomacy, espionnage...

I have already used towny plugin, and I can tell it is quite possible to do such things with it. I have never seen it used for pvp purposes in vanilla Minecraft, but I think it is due to the even repartition of ressources, unlike TFC.

Well, I do know this sounds idealistic. Loosing your armor when you're killed is still a problem, as you have to get a new one, and you may give lots of ressources to your enemies. And same about other ressources and tools. I think creating a plugin making the lost of equipment when dead random. And you may never see huge battles with keepInventory, as people would just come back fully geared again and again.

An other problem would be the size of the map. It should be adapted to the number of players. You don't want it too big, or you may never see any conflict happening.

And finally, the number of interested players can be an issue too, knowing that people who wouldn't want to fight can still make food, mine...

Only problem with that is the same thing will happen like on the first waterhollow world. 1 group will become super powerfull and stop everyone else from reaching iron age. Burning down homes and killing any noobs and stealing stuff making it nearly impossible to go against them so people just rage quit.

I never say my proposition work without security to prevent destruction and a pure domination of a few peoples.

Die without losing only one piece of armor and come back fast in the battle is illogical, yes i have say that. But i never talk more about losing and destructions.

And i know towny have configuration like "if nobody of the nation is connected you cant disclare a war" or cant attack the ennemys nation if they are less than X of your own faction. And with towny a village not affiliated with a nation cant be attacked if my memory is not failling.

Think you should look at this.

If a nation want to destroy his enemy purely and systematically okay ... And after they cant raid autonomous villages, only killing them outdoor off the hamlet for poor results.  And it can not prevent villages from reorganizing themselves after a few time May be more numerous than their enemies because thieses guys was fucking jerks on the server !

townyconfigwarsettings.png

I've actually been thinking of a system like MonyClair is describing for a while now, and would be willing to help anyone setting up a server for that.

If you have money for a server who can be well used from EU (or NA too if your are EU located ^^)

I can send you the bases of my works on my server ... Include thermos, towny, many things ...

But as i say on my first post, i think we need to find or create a mod working like gravesmod, but can deliver a few randoms items to the ennemy, is needed to balance eventually any battle row. And yes i dont know how gravesmod configs works.

And many other things i have talk to ragendio and he added on his server, like longer month and years. Slow food decay also increase crops grow ... To prevent people who quit the game more than 12 hours to come back in antoher year or seasons and have all his livestocks rotten.

Well before you end up spending your money go do some testing to make sure the no pvp flag will work with TFC. I know a lot of pvp flags do not work with it or at least It's not working for me. I've tried using a few different system to prevent pvp in areas and have not had any of them working.