Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Konlii

Giant Centipede

8 posts in this topic

Okay Darmo, I know this thing is enormous, but I think detailed legs are important to the creep-factor of centipedes.  This is just a temporary texture, but I have made each color 2px square so that it will look like 1px if scaled in half.  Of course, if enormous tickles Bioxx's fancy, we can work with that, too.  Thoughts?

Animation note: watching videos of these guys walk, it looks like the only joint that visibly moves is the one connected to the body, so it shouldn't be necessary to animate each leg segment separately

centipede_2.png

Centipede.MCModel

centipede.png

Good Lord Konlii, you don't shy away from going big do you?  I agree on legs being a big part of the creep factor, though I think it's more important if the legs are actually articulated.  If they're just a rigid structure, less so.  In general I am of the opinion that it's ok for more aggressive and 'fantasy' mobs to be more complicated.  I would think we'd want them to be impressive and scary.  I had planned to have this conversation when Bioxx asked for fantasy mobs, or giant insects.  If he wants to have it now, we may as well.

As for commentary, I probably would have tried to get by with 3 segments per leg at most.  And I don't know that the extra ridge boxes are all that worth it.  Assuming it's mainly for z-fighting issues, could you not have just tilted the body segments in their entirety that same amount, to avoid the issue?  Rather than adding barely-protruding tilted boxes?  I'd also probably consider swapping the antennae for large menacing mandibles.  Antennae just don't say 'I'm a-gonna poison and eat you!'

But my main concern is the animating of it on Bioxx's part (would it undulate, or just move in a stiff arrow-straight fashion?), and then the possible (probable?) movement and clipping issues.  I'm not sure how minecraft's hitboxes work, but I question if that entire length can be a hitbox, and if so, what happens when the centipede tries to turn in a narrow tunnel?  The model is like, 10 meters long.  You're going to at *least* have large portions of the body clipping out of the tunnel walls, unless the animation and collision detection is a lot better than I think it is. 

What if you could sort of have it rearing up in an S shape, to reduce the floor area it takes up to like, 1x3 meters max or something?  I think you could use most or all of that body length, but just have it be bunched up.  It's probably also be more threatening if taller.

Overall, it probably would have been better to have started with a more 'normal' proportioned insect.  But let's see what Bioxx says.

Aaaand I just noticed I totally missed the part where you planned on scaling it down. My bad.  5 meters is still pretty large though. 

Did you try building the model at the intended scale?  I realize your leg tips are probably what governed the size choice - they are indeed pleasingly spindly in relation to the body - but my experience has been that making double size textures is kind of pain, if you want to modify it afterward...

Go big or go home.  I'll try downgrading it from "enormous" to simply "huge" and drop some of the taper off of the legs to shorten them.  That was really unnecessary, after all.

This one's half as long.  It can probably be scaled from "huge" down to merely "very large" if you so please.

centipede_1.png

Centipede.MCModel

centipede.png

That's nice.  Pincers are a nice add!  I even like the color scheme better.  Final word isn't really up to me though, as I'm not the one animating it.  My fear is that it may look too wooden; I'm assuming it's not really possible to animate it bending in a dynamic way (that is, responding to turns and corners).  I imagine it can be animated to undulate like a snake, but I don't think that's really how they move.  Bioxx will have to weigh in on it. 

The attached is looking like my final texture.  For animating, they don't undulate.  I think I would describe it as more of a shimmy.  

I think this is about as small as I can make the model before it starts losing enough definition to start looking cartoony instead of menacingly insectile.  We can still scale it down a bit and may just have to accept the fact that the entire body pivots around corners and the back half may clip the environment a bit.  I think the only way to make a centipede move naturally in Minecraft is to actually create each body segment as a separate entity and stick them together in-game, which is totally not worth the effort right now.

Of course, Bioxx has his hands full enough just getting TFC2 fully functional so it'll probably be a while before we see anything with complicated animations make it into the game.

centipede.png

Unless there is some decent system added for complex animations, there's just no way that I'd get around to even trying this.