Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

[0.2.4] TFC2 Prerelease

490 posts in this topic

So, Bioxx, are the current portals just placeholders? Or do you have something else planned? I was under the impression that the portals would be like Stonehenge or some kind of ruin and you would have to activate them using magic gemstones. Will this be implemented when magic is done?

660 -6617

teleported in a location without portal on the other side 82 -828

the portal is on the beach, half in water

I'm still very confused.

What is the island system? 

What are portals everyone's talking about?

1 hour ago, dittoisepic said:

I'm still very confused.  What is the island system? What are portals everyone's talking about?

I gave a link in that other thread you started with the same question, but thought I'd also put it here, for anyone else here with the same questions.   This link takes you to an early 2016 post I made, that summarized some of the very early posts in mid-2015, wherein Bioxx clued us in to his plans, including all this island and portal stuff.  We were given the info in bits  and pieces in several different threads, usually following an OP of a completely different topic.  If you want to skim it, just do a browser search for "Bioxx", and it'll help you find his posts in some of the more extensive threads.

I was wondering, is it confirmed that planks and chisels wont be implemented in TFC2? I know it's a pain in the butt to work with them, as Bioxx earlier mentioned, but I just love that feature so much in TFC1.

Since food is super rare, I have taken to wading out into the ocean and bashing squid with a rock.  But for some reason every time I pick up some raw calamari after it drops I lose one.  If I only pick up one, it pops up briefly in my inventory then disappears.  If I pick up two at once, I see 2 pop up briefly in my inventory then one disappears.  Not really sure what's going on here.

Thanks for the reports guys, I'll start looking into these. Most of your food related bugs are due to them spawning without decay values on them which instantly destroys the items.

@Natsuarashi do you have a world seed for that?

I thought that big wodge of hearts was a graphical bug - then I realised that's his health!!!

I created a world and got a desert island - with a little bit of swamp and occasional 2-block strips of green near rivers and the edges of what appear to be lakes.
Not a hint of food around (but I'm new to MC 1.11.2 so I could be mistaken!)

Maybe in the final release it would be worthwhile preventing the initial island from being so unhospitable?

Also, what are the tower-like structures? Are these the entrances to  the rumoured "dungeons"?

(seed is -8639291022458415048)

Edit:
Interesting - that's the seed reported on the creative mode screen, but it's different from the one generated by the "/seed" command...
The one from the "/seed" command is -8639291022458480582.

Edited by ChunkHunter

Small bug report: Decoration generation seem to be able to replace wood logs. Thus tree logs appear to be floating

floating tree.jpg

45 minutes ago, ChunkHunter said:

Also, what are the tower-like structures? Are these the entrances to  the rumoured "dungeons"?

Those are a geographical feature called 'spires' (if you play in creative, you'll see a list of 'island features' at the top right).   Near as I can tell they're supposed to be a natural formation.  They could probably use some work to look a bit more natural though. 

As for food, I think it's reasonable to assume that in this early alpha stage, the food balance is not what it will be in the end.  Bioxx has said in tweets you'll be better off in creative for now.   I actually welcome the scarcity of gardens.  I'm hoping it means there will be a more foraging-focused playstyle in the beginning, while one builds up a stock of seeds to settle down with.  Hunting and gathering type stuff. 

For me, one of the most interesting aspects is what I *haven't* seen yet, and that is even a speck of surface (or cave, for that matter) lava.  I'm hoping this bodes well for there being a rare volcano feature.

Issues-wise, I noticed that ash trees at least, seem to have a lot of floating leaf blocks.  I wonder if their schematics need examined?

Spoiler

2017-04-08_07.46.48.png

Also, the last two worlds I've played, I headed north (since apparently the tropics are bugged, from what Konlii posted).  And both times I again ran into the thing where the next island north of my starting temperate island, was also temperate.  Following area again two screen shots showing me first on one side of the region boundary, then to the north.  Still showing "temperate" under island parameters.

Spoiler

2017-04-08_07.50.08.png2017-04-08_07.50.13.png

Also of note is that the island (it was very large, but I think separate from the main island) was within 20 blocks of the region boundary, and you can see the steep change in underwater topography.  I mention this in case the generation parameters need tuning to keep players away from the boundary.  I don't know what measures are planned to keep them away, but right now it'd be very easy to see from shore there, and even reach, unless the forbidance mechanic is to actually physically wall them off, or have a big wave wash them backwards whenever they get close, or something.

The above three screenshots were all in the seed chunk posted, btw (the first one he posted from the region, not the corrected world one).
Also, bears have a REALLY high leg swing.  Could perhaps use some adjusting downward a tad?

Spoiler

2017-04-07_22.03.25.png

Edited by Darmo

44 minutes ago, ChunkHunter said:

Interesting - that's the seed reported on the creative mode screen, but it's different from the one generated by the "/seed" command...

Each island region does have it's own seed, which is separate from the world seed itself.  The region seed is what you're seeing in the creative mode screen, I think.

8 hours ago, SnoopyMicrobe34 said:

I was wondering, is it confirmed that planks and chisels wont be implemented in TFC2? I know it's a pain in the butt to work with them, as Bioxx earlier mentioned, but I just love that feature so much in TFC1.

OI think that there is two things. 1 it seems more comlicated to code than it was for tfc1 2 Bioxx said he would try to rely more on other mods integration. An there is an awesome mode in latest MC. Chisel and bits.

So, do TFC 2 need a chiseling feature ? no, as we have easy access to chisel and bits

15 minutes ago, Darmo said:

Those are a geographical feature called 'spires' (if you play in creative, you'll see a list of 'island features' at the top right).   Near as I can tell they're supposed to be a natural formation.  They could probably use some work to look a bit more natural though. 

I tried that seed and definitely did not start on a desert island, nor near any swamp.  Mis-copy?

As for food, I think it's reasonable to assume that in this early alpha stage, the food balance is not what it will be in the end.  Bioxx has said in tweets you'll be better off in creative for now.   I actually welcome the scarcity of gardens.  I'm hoping it means there will be a more foraging-focused playstyle in the beginning, while one builds up a stock of seeds to settle down with.  Hunting and gathering type stuff. 

I just dicovered that seed problem when I tried to recreate the world after going through 2 porrtals to the void.  I then read that portals to the void were "fixed" and discovered I had an earlier version.

The "spikes" you mentioned are on the map with the "wrong" seed I gave.

The structure I mentioned was made of bricks and *did* lead to an underground maze of passageways, populated by "denizens of the deep places" :) 

I 'll find the co-ords and post them if I can create the world in the newest version 

Edit: Co-ords of structure are 1560,84,-7146
The portal I went through on a newly-created world still seemed to go to void, however.

Edited by ChunkHunter

Yeah ChunkHunter, your seed gave me a new/different portal issue that I had to fix, which IS fixed for the next version. Anything animal related is just using some crappily copy/pasted code between them. Anything animal related needs a ton of work. 

As for the land being too near the map's edge, that's something that I continue to work on.

42 minutes ago, Darmo said:

Each island region does have it's own seed, which is separate from the world seed itself.  The region seed is what you're seeing in the creative mode screen, I think.

Yes - I have just come to that same conclusion - it is listed under "Island Parameters" after all (facepalm)

(If you've not done so already - check out that structure!)

I see what you mean chunk.  It seems pretty obvious that's a dungeon. And amazing at that!  I love the room variety!  It's interesting too, the strip of grass along the waters edge in that area.  I flew over much of the rest of the island and did not see that, though I did see little river valleys with a river, and all the hexes the river flowed through were grass.  Amazing!  Personally I think it's great to have a start seed like this once in awhile.  Some people really love hard starts.

I noticed in this desert seed that occasionally there was andesite sand mixed in with the prevailing chert. 

Spoiler

2017-04-08_08.27.40.png2017-04-08_08.30.02.png2017-04-08_08.33.11.png

I thought it must be a glitch with the falling sand mechanic, but you can see in the one picture there is a dead bush growing on top of the andesite sand, so it must not have fallen there right?  The last picture is a large area with a cave underneath that caused a massive sand cave-in.  It had by far the most andesite sand I'd seen, which is why I thought it might have to do with the falling mechanics.

Also in the temple structure I noticed this graphical glitch with a stair block

Spoiler

2017-04-08_08.51.25.png

Regarding the chisels mechanic, I've come to peace with it maybe not making it in.  I'm actually glad that stairs will be a proper block, because it always bothered me a bit in TFC1 that on servers with dynmap, chiseled blocks were invisible, so that the finely chiseled roofs didn't show up on the map.  It made town look really messy on the map for the most part, because you just saw their walls and chest and junk sitting around.

Edited by Darmo

Tried some seed with portals - it looks like no chunk is generated in the target world.

I teleported while in creative flying and tried to teleport after I fly through portal - there was nothing, except darkness.

P.S.: Andesite occasionally spawned in all biomes, maybe its some kind of "default block?".

Edited by hindmost

Is it ok taht stalactites and stalabmites tend to generate exactly on top of each other?
Wouldn't exactly call it a major bug, but I do believe it is a bug or miscalculations of some sort anyway.

Spoiler

uqxNMuamXj0.jpg

46 minutes ago, Sugar_Fox said:

Is it ok taht stalactites and stalabmites tend to generate exactly on top of each other?
Wouldn't exactly call it a major bug, but I do believe it is a bug or miscalculations of some sort anyway.

Reveal hidden contents

uqxNMuamXj0.jpg

I like it, especially when they touch to make a single column from floor to ceiling.  Though maybe if they didn't always generate on top of each other that would add a little variety?

4 hours ago, Darmo said:

Also, the last two worlds I've played, I headed north (since apparently the tropics are bugged, from what Konlii posted).  And both times I again ran into the thing where the next island north of my starting temperate island, was also temperate.  Following area again two screen shots showing me first on one side of the region boundary, then to the north.  Still showing "temperate" under island parameters.

I headed north and found a "polar" island.  I was disappointed to find no snow on the ground, so I waited around until it started snowing (toggledownfall really needs to get implemented for TFC weather).  Unfortunately, the snow didn't stick, so I guess that's not implemented yet.  And speaking of precipitation, I've also noticed that endermen don't take damage in rain.

But to get to the point, continuing north I got nothing but "temperate" "no land" islands after that polar one.

4 hours ago, ChunkHunter said:

The structure I mentioned was made of bricks and *did* lead to an underground maze of passageways, populated by "denizens of the deep places" :) 

I 'll find the co-ords and post them if I can create the world in the newest version 

Edit: Co-ords of structure are 1560,84,-7146

Wow, this place has a lot of potential.  It's an interesting experience to walk those corridors with Hardcore Darkness installed, Optifine's dynamic lights enabled, and nothing but a torch in my hand to push back the darkness.

I also really like that the bricks match the local stone type.

Speaking of torches, though:

If I right click a loose stone with a torch in my offhand it places the torch at the same time that the rock pops out.  If I right click a loose stone with a torch in my main hand the torch disappears from my inventory, but it's really still there because I can hit Q to drop it and weirdness happens if I try to put something else in that slot while it is still "there."  All of this was with a TFC2 torch_on.

Edit:

Trying to drink water with a torch in the offhand places the torch.  Drinking with something non-place-able, like a knife, in the offhand works fine.  I guess that is the way it's supposed to work, but it still surprised me a bit.

Edited by Konlii

On ‎2017‎年‎4‎月‎8‎日 at 3:48 PM, natsuarashi said:

Broken river. 

Spoiler

螢幕擷取畫面 (26).jpg

On ‎2017‎年‎4‎月‎8‎日 at 5:06 PM, Bioxx said:

Thanks for the reports guys, I'll start looking into these. Most of your food related bugs are due to them spawning without decay values on them which instantly destroys the items.

@Natsuarashi do you have a world seed for that?

I lost that world but found the same problem in other world.
at 1500 70 -5040

Spoiler

WMmtEDp.jpg

Edited by natsuarashi

On 4/8/2017 at 0:32 PM, Sugar_Fox said:

Reveal hidden contents

uqxNMuamXj0.jpg

This is actually the way it happens in real life.

Water from the end of the stalactite leaves more calcite in a pile on the cave floor, and pretty soon a cone-like stalagmite forms. That’s why stalactites and stalagmites are usually found in pairs. Sometimes they grow together to form a pillar or column.

Read more here:https://www.kidsdiscover.com/quick-reads/how-stalactites-and-stalagmites-form/

Found an interesting elevation mis-match going on at an inland desert lake.  The 1-block change was pretty extensive.  The 2-block difference was much more limited in scope.  At the time I took those screencaps I hadn't yet noticed the journeymap coords were obscured by the island features list.  But if you go to that seed, and go I think 1 island west, that's the island.  You can use island coords from there.

Spoiler

2017-04-09_08.47.05.png

2017-04-09_08.47.29.png

An interesting feature of these inland lakes is that, near as I can tell, they always have a large river exiting to the ocean.

Spoiler

2017-04-08_22.27.13.png2017-04-09_08.55.37.png

I love the level of river detail, where two rivers combining makes the subsequent river wider.  It seems like every time a tributary gets added, another block in width is added to the successive river sections.  I think the lake-to-ocean rivers are 8 blocks wide.  I love that thoughtfulness of the world gen!  Now I just wish we could have swamp estuaries at the mouths of rivers.

@TonyLiberatto  The next level of detail would be if there could occasionally be a pool of water below the stalagtites (instead of stalagmite)!

Edited by Darmo