Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Konlii

Roe Deer

11 posts in this topic

A tiny little deer, only 1m tall at the shoulder.  Since the model is smaller I left off some details, such as the separate flank blocks and angled hindlegs we have on larger animals like the caribou.

deer_roe_preview_1.pngdeer_roe_preview_2.png

deer_roe.MCModel

deer_roe.png

deer_roe_kid.png

Looks good.  I'd suggest maybe shortening the leg top sections upward 2 or 3  pixels, and lengthening the lower sections to match.  Also the 'antler base' needs to be transparent in the fawn version i think.

Edited by Darmo

Like this?  With the shorter top leg sections, I was able to angle the hindlegs after all.  Is it easier for Bioxx to use the same texture for male and female and just not render the antlers, or to have separate textures with the antlers cut out of the female one?

deer_roe_preview_3.png

deer_roe.MCModel

deer_roe.png

deer_roe_fawn.png

deer_roe_doe.png

Edited by Konlii

Different textures for male and female is no problem on my end. Looks good so far.

Too me the angled back legs without haunches above looks weird.  Irl that angled piece of leg starts below the body.  I'd go with the original orientation, personally.

51 minutes ago, Darmo said:

Too me the angled back legs without haunches above looks weird.  Irl that angled piece of leg starts below the body.  I'd go with the original orientation, personally.

Agreed

Oh weird, I was thinking that little spot half way up the back legs was just because it was a preliminary texture, but I see they actually have that apparently. 

So just some minor texture suggestions, it seems like if you look up close at photos of Roe Deer faces, the nose is typically flanked by white spots on the bottom right and left.  So I'd suggest making those pixels white(ish).  And then, I feel like overall it's rather smooth.  I wonder if it could do with a bit more noise?  It wouldn't be much; taken as a whole they do appear fairly smooth.  Just a thought.

And then, the lower jaw, as it is, it 'diverges' from the upper snout, getting further away as it moves outward.  I think some slight adjustments to the angle and position would give it a slight narrowing taper, and I think it makes it more 'deer-like'.  It's funny, the diverging jaw to me actually makes it look more 'masculine', so it'd be funny if the male had the diverging jaw, and the female the tapering, but that's not really worth having two separate models.  I just thought it was interesting how such a small detail can change perceptions like that.  Or at least mine anyway.

Also added some more black coloring that comes from the nose down to the mouth.

deer_roe_preview_5.png

deer_roe.png

deer_roe_doe.png

deer_roe_fawn.png

deer_roe.MCModel

Edited by Konlii

Not sure the black side-of-muzzle pixel on the bottom, two pixels away from the end is necessary.  I think the two directly adjacent are plenty.  But otherwise ya, I like it.

If I could color in half a pixel I would.  Even though the muzzle is not perfectly proportional, that's the best I can do at this resolution and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0