Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
hindmost

Make knapping a bit more... interesting

10 posts in this topic

Now, when you start knapping, you get a "perfectly square" stone - from the knapping UI view. But what if some of the side bits were already randomly knapped, rendering 30-50% of stones unusable? Unusable for the recipe you wanted - but maybe worth making a knife from it. And also, knapping should deplete hunger bar - I tried knapping once IRL, and it depleted mine pretty fast.

And, you know, the shift-knapping is very convenient... but that's not how the it works.

P.S.: I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN-34JfUrHY

What I understood - in the stone age you have to find yourself a worthy stone to make a hachet from.

just my opinion, but i think some of the issues with that is not only how quickly you burn through the junker tools, but the dangers that come with early game, particularly food( at least its usually an issue for me) i agree with the chipped rock idea sounds cool, but the hunger thing might be a bit much

I don't know, I don't want to have to restart knapping 10 times (or whatever) to have to find a suitable rock.  It'd just be random, so you could just have two rocks, and open and close the knapping grid until you get the right shape.  Either that, or a 'seed' would be stored on he player, which would dictate which rock they are getting, until they 'use up' that shape.  Either way I feel like it'd be more frustrating than anything.

But, what I *would* like to see is a rule that you can only knap a box that has at least one side 'exposed', either to the edge of the grid, or to a previously knapped square.  This would at least force the player to start from the outside and work inward, rather than wherever they want, including inside-out.  And would make knapping slightly different from the clay interface, where you can just start anywhere.  And maybe if the player tries to start from the 'inside', it immediately ruins the rock.  If this became a rule though, there might need to be some feedback when the player tries to knap an internal square.  If it doesn't break the rock immediately, it might need to return a message like 'you must start from the edges'.  And maybe a noise.  Otherwise if nothing happens, the might think there's a bug.   If starting from inner areas immediately ruins the rock, a similar message, to let the player know why their rock broke.

Edited by Darmo

51 minutes ago, Darmo said:

I don't know, I don't want to have to restart knapping 10 times (or whatever) to have to find a suitable rock.  It'd just be random, so you could just have two rocks, and open and close the knapping grid until you get the right shape.  Either that, or a 'seed' would be stored on he player, which would dictate which rock they are getting, until they 'use up' that shape.  Either way I feel like it'd be more frustrating than anything.

But, what I *would* like to see is a rule that you can only knap a box that has at least one side 'exposed', either to the edge of the grid, or to a previously knapped square.  This would at least force the player to start from the outside and work inward, rather than wherever they want, including inside-out.  And would make knapping slightly different from the clay interface, where you can just start anywhere.  And maybe if the player tries to start from the 'inside', it immediately ruins the rock.  If this became a rule though, there might need to be some feedback when the player tries to knap an internal square.  If it doesn't break the rock immediately, it might need to return a message like 'you must start from the edges'.  And maybe a noise.  Otherwise if nothing happens, the might think there's a bug.   If starting from inner areas immediately ruins the rock, a similar message, to let the player know why their rock broke.

I wholly agree with Darmo on this one: while it is true that irl cavemen used stones that already had a similar shape to the desired one, I think that it would become frustrating very quickly and, as it was pointed out, the player could just keep opening and closing the interface to reset it. I can't really think of any other way to make knapping more interesting other than what Darmo already said, as punching holes into the rock I was knapping felt pretty weird. Maybe the player would actually have to find different rock types Maybe make it so that the player has to click more times a tile on the GUI? He/she is chipping it, after all...

No matter how you shake it, at the end of the day the player going to be clicking some buttons in a gui. Making the rock into weird shapes(this crossed my mind multiple times) or making you click a bunch more times to simulate knapping is not really compelling gameplay. In fact it would get old VERY quickly. My time is far better spent trying to make the game better outside of a crafting grid, rather than reworking something that works in a good enough fashion.

3 hours ago, Bioxx said:

No matter how you shake it, at the end of the day the player going to be clicking some buttons in a gui. Making the rock into weird shapes(this crossed my mind multiple times) or making you click a bunch more times to simulate knapping is not really compelling gameplay. In fact it would get old VERY quickly. My time is far better spent trying to make the game better outside of a crafting grid, rather than reworking something that works in a good enough fashion.

Agred. Mine was a stupid suggestion. Sorry.

On 30/4/2017 at 0:00 PM, TheSnarkyKnight said:

Agred. Mine was a stupid suggestion. Sorry.

No, it wasn't, it was just pointless for TFC2, but I liked the idea.

Edited by Diego il Catanico Jr

I can answer this with pretty good certainty the answer is no. Every basic stone type in TFC2 can be knapped, which include chert but not flint.