Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darmilian

Snapping Turtle

12 posts in this topic

Ha, that is cute.   I'd take that thin lighter-green box on the bottom - which mostly won't be visible at all - and put it on the top as a slight dome to the shell.  Neck box seems a bit odd at the color it is.  Is there a reason it doesn't match the body or the shell?  And did you try it without the neck box?  It probably doesn't need it.  It'd be needed if the head were going to be animated to snap forward, but at this point I don't think that's likely.    The tooth/beak, I'd suggest turning it 45 degrees so it's point-down.  That might make him look a bit more threatening.  I get that their eyes are yellow, but without the pupil (and I'm not saying to put one in) it seems a bit weird to me, like he's a zombie or something.  I think maybe just normal black for the eye might be better.  I'm not on my MCMC computer right now, so can't comment on the technical details at the moment. 

Also go ahead and re-post the shark model here, so we have it in this forum.

Edited by Darmo

Let's not do ridges on the tail, especially full thickness ones.  Let's save that for more monstrous creatures (and maybe alligators).  But if you want to go for alligator snapper and try some rotated corner-up boxes on the back of the shell, rather than the dome, I'd go for that.  If the shell isn't the turtle's icon, I don't know what is.

I've solved that things, but i must keep some kind of dragon tail in these cool creatures.

Updaptes:

-Neck removed.

-Smaller tail.

-Color brown added to the eyes.

-Scales width reduction.

-New form of shell

-New "lip" form

Screenshot_19.png

Screenshot_20.png

Textures and model:

Snapping Turtel V2.MCModelSnapping turtle V2.png

And don't worry, i'm going to post my shark model here.

Edited by Darmilian

I was wrong on the neck.  It looked better with it, especially the scrunched up version.  Kind of bulldog-like.  Just make sure the neck color matches the other skin.  Otherwise it actually looks like he's wearing a turtleneck sweater.

For the lip/beak, what you did there is better than the orthogonal, though it's probably going to be rarely visible from the player's pov.  I was suggesting a further 90 degree rotation around Y, so from the front you see a triangle.  If you look at a snapping turtle head-on, they have a descending beak point, when viewed from the front.  I tried it in the screenshot below.  But seeing it, I'm kind of ambivalent.  Your call.

The lower body shell (plastron) serves no purpose, you're showing these very low angle shots but mostly what players will see is this:

SnappingScreen.jpg

You can't see the plastron at all.  You'll see it for a moment when the turtle dies, and that's it.  It really has no point.  You can put the bottom texture on the bottom side of the mid-bodyshell, and it will have the same effect.  It needs to go.

Without that bottom shell you could have gotten by with 64x32 instead of 64x64.  Actually probably could anyway, but it's a pain to change it after it's made so I'm not asking you to change that.  But in the future, animals this small really shouldn't need a texture larger than 64x32.

The tail ridges, I see you did them with one 2d plane rather than separate ones.  So at least they're not individual pieces anymore.  But when I look at the turtle, my eyes are drawn to those tail ridges.  And to me that's exactly the opposite of where you want the attention to be.  They're small details, and the only small details.  They begin and end on the tail, and so they hold the attention there.    It's not that I dislike them, it's that they unbalance the model, by providing more detail in that spot than exists on the rest of the model.  There will probably be room in swamps for a 'boss turtle', and that turtle?  He's going to have tail ridges, shell ridges, and a serious beak.  He'll have detail end-to-end, and it'll be great.  This little guy is cool, maybe annoying, but he's not a deadly threat.  Lets save the next level of detail for the deadly threats, so they don't just look like scaled up versions of 'normal' animals.

Edit - Technical Notes: The head rotation point, it's good to keep in mind that when the animal looks around and watches the player, that's the point it will rotate around.  Right now you have it rather far back in the shell and I'm guessing the turtle's head will clip into the shell if it turns to the sides very far.  Might be a good idea to move it to be a voxel or two behind the eyes.  Similarly, the tail pieces both seem unnecessarily sunken into the parts ahead of them.  Even if animated, I don't think they'll probably rotate all that much.  The first tail piece's rotation point should at least be flush with the back face of the shell, not outside it, and the second piece's rotation point flush with the back of the first piece.  You could slightly sink them, so as not to show cracks when 'wagging', but as mentioned earlier I doubt the wag would be very drastic, and so the cracks probably not all that noticeable.  So it's probably not critical.

Edited by Darmo

Updates based on the tips are now here:

I'm happy to see his neck again :D.

Screenshot_21.png

Screenshot_23.png

This "down shell texture" is more accurate with reality:

28536295c4eeb1f02ff38e07fb934806.jpg

Updaptes:

-Neck added, again.

-Lower shell box removed, and changed with a texture.

-Tail scales removed.

-Tail small adjustements.

-Canvas texture size changed.

Textures and model:

Snapping turtle V2.5.png

Snapping Turtel V2.5.MCModel

Edited by Darmilian

Yes, looks good.  Neck box needs a proper name though.  And the head gizmo is still in the wrong spot and the head box too long, if the turtle is ever going to look to the sides.  It needs to have a z position of around -1, and then you'll have to modify the z offset of the head, jaw, and lip, to get them back in the right spots, and shorten the head box.  Just rotate the head on the Y axis, and you should see what I mean about it clipping into the shell.

You know the maximun head rotation in minecraft with the pig AI? "im working in that problem".:(

Edited by Darmilian

I tried doing my best working on that problem, this is the result.

Screenshot_28.png

Screenshot_29.png

Screenshot_30.png

Updaptes:

-Head rotation adjustements

-Reduction of tail

-General reduction of width body

-Shorter head

-Texture adjustements

"If the neck is animated with Y axis rotations, will happen the same as in the head in the 2.5 MCmodel version ."

Textures and model:

Snapping turtle V2.8.png

Snapping Turtel V2.8.MCModel

Edited by Darmilian

Ya, I think that might work.  Hard to know for sure till we see it in action.  If you're good with it, go ahead and put *final* in the title.

I'm not sure... If anyone more have something to say about what he/she thinks about the model. Also if it's posible a brief Bioxx opinion whould be helpful for me, if i go for aligator snapping turtle or maybe more turtle sizes.

if i there is no opinion in a few days, i will mark it as final.

Edited by Darmilian

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0