Kingdoms Brainstorming

Bioxx
By Bioxx in Suggestions,
Kingdoms aka Beta 3 will be the next phase of TFC development. As usual I will no doubt add many other things along the way but that is what I aim for Beta 3 to contain. This thread is for brainstorming ideas related to this. I won't be starting Beta 3 any time soon. Others have rightly pointed out that there is much work to still be done with Beta 2. Heck, agriculture still isn't done(its boring so its slow going). What is Kingdoms about? Kingdoms will be aiming to add a way for players to establish cities and towns in such a way that economies and politics can enter the realm of TerraFirmaCraft. By Economy you mean.. Yes I mean money. There have been several threads related to this and I would like to see the best ideas brought forth here. By Politics you mean.. This is purely an SMP game aspect. I'd like to see server enforced towns and land ownership etc. Will I be forced to play with these rules? Added 8/10 No. If you want to play with no rules, then that's fine. Towns will never be required. I plan to give the players as much control as I can over the systems involved. As many of you have rightly noted, the players will do a much better job creating gameplay than I ever could myself. Aren't there more important things to be worked on? Added 8/10 There are plenty of things that need to be done still. Just as I've done with Beta 2, I'll be working on other things as I go along. This idea however has me excited for the possibilities, which is why it will be the primary goal of Beta 3. Will there be NPC's to fill roles in cities? Added 8/10 Probably not unless a very compelling reason is brought forth. I would rather see players take advantage of the systems than have a computer controlled NPC doing everything. What is the Home Stone and why do we need a block to represent the town?Added 8/13 I think a lot of you are failing to grasp why we need a stone Home Stone in the first place. First of all the name is taken from the World of Gor series of books. Secondly, I like to let things be represented in the world whenever possible. From a gameplay perspective, it offers a way for players to easily learn what they need to about a town such as laws or w/e else. I highly dislike the player having to type in commands into chat in order to play the game so they need. Also it offers something concrete in the world in which the supporting code is operated around. If I try to abstract out things such as borders of a town etc(while possible) it becomes a lot harder. I will update this post now and again with revised information. Please keep all posts pertaining to these themes in this topic.
  • 898 replies