Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Memeparable

Ruins-Unique tools and mobs

7 posts in this topic

Okay, So first before I get into how I imagine these things to work! Let's talk about unique items.

Diamond: I realize it would entirely too unrealistic to have diamond tools. But the human race does use diamond dust to tip tools to make them sharper, stronger, and more accurate. I was thinking an upgrading system for the current tools. Because it just doesn't make much sense that I use all this stuff but never, repair or upgrade it.

For stone tools that you just don't want to get rid of A metal coating. Uses less material while enabling a stronger tool.

Diamond tipping. For saws scythes and knives. It makes them stronger and sharper.

What else doesn't entirely make sense is sticking a tool head onto a stick. I realize that some sticks are durable enough and might fit just right but come on! You need to fasten it on. Either with wax animal fat or rope! Just something.

So to begin with here is a summary

Metal coated tools

Wax,Animal fat,Rope fastened tool heads.

And diamond tipping for sharper tools.

My next point is ruins

Maybe just too add life into the game. Or just for exploration. Or possibly just for personal pleasure!

Ruins.

You can find old tools that are completely uniqe to those ruins! You cant craft them. But you can find them. I am not saying they need to op or even strong. It could be weak as dirt for all i care. but it would add life and mystery about who lived before.

You could make them only spawn in desert and taiga biomes to make it seem like they left for natural reasons.

Next is mob spawners! I was think sort of like a spawner instead of randomly appearing zombies and skeletons. Grave yards for zombies and piles of bones for skeles! You find piles of bones near or in caves. And grave yards in ruins.

But for spiders make them specific to biome.

Creepers can spawn from jungle biomes as well as spiders.

Points so far

Metal coated tools

Animal fat-Wax-Rope fastened tools

Diamond tipping sharp tools

Ruins with unique tools and weapons.

Selective spawning of all mobs to make it more realistic.

Thanks for reading

Sincerely Memeparable

I like the idea of the ruins but it would have to be really well designed, maybe some way that if you find diffrent parts of a certain old civilisation and then you find one of their old machines and use it construct some kind of ancient wep/tool? would be nice! It might not fit in directly into the core of TFC but it would always be nice as an addon mod, NPCs are a no go, so I find it very appealing to find little hints of old civilisations.

Bile

This has been suggested before, and what was said was that in TFC youre supposed to be the first civilizations, so you would be the ones building the cities that would become the ruins.

Going one by one. Pardon that I will completely disregard your formatting. Your post, all centered, made it only harder to read and that mess wouldn't get smaller when quoted. 

Diamond: I realize it would entirely too unrealistic to have diamond tools. But the human race does use diamond dust to tip tools to make them sharper, stronger, and more accurate. I was thinking an upgrading system for the current tools. Because it just doesn't make much sense that I use all this stuff but never, repair or upgrade it.

Eh, no, actually - it's a gross oversimplification. Aside from the fact that diamond dust tipped devices =/= devices made out of diamond, only some tools profit from that dust. For majority of tools diamond dust would be completely useless. It's not some magical material that makes just any tool 'sharper, stronger and more accurate' by any stretch. Like everything, it has certain uses but that's about it - outside of those it's just expensive dust. 

For stone tools that you just don't want to get rid of A metal coating. Uses less material while enabling a stronger tool.

That also wouldn't be even believable. While metal coating may be helpful for some light-duty wooden implements, stone tools and metal seem to be at quite different level of technology and the very base of the tool would either be more fragile than the coating or the whole thing would just be more unwieldy and pointless than if one would stuck to only metal or stone for general viability. It's as if you'd make a rubberband slingshot and then mount infrared sniper scope on it. It'd be still some crappy slingshot, just with an expensive scope so you can see what you won't hit. 

Diamond tipping. For saws scythes and knives. It makes them stronger and sharper.

Alright, but how those tips would be made? Even now we can barely make diamond 'blades' that would retain diamond's qualities (and they're not solid diamond blades per se, but something akin to a coating). Plus, if someone would make it work well, it's still questionable how much more efficient it'd be than just a metal tool for tasks we have in game. Again, diamond is not magical material and in some cases it's actually worse than metal (for example, cutting some types of alloys? Bad move - your expensive diamond-'enhanced' equipment will just break faster than if it'd be 'normal'). 

What else doesn't entirely make sense is sticking a tool head onto a stick. I realize that some sticks are durable enough and might fit just right but come on! You need to fasten it on. Either with wax animal fat or rope! Just something.

That is viable concern (except the fact that animal fat - at least on it's own - makes adhesive in case of tools bad enough that you can as well advocate glueing items on spit at this point - though it's less so when used as an ingredient for glue), though for improvised tools I saw simple blade just cut into the wooden handle. Sure, such items are usually additionally secured with something like some tought string, bone glue or hardened resin but for a few hits they'll work as some disposables. In case of metal ones, it's also not overly weird to simply give the metal part a few additional whacks during processing so it'll get stuck tight with the wooden handle. I had a hammer like that IRL, lasted me quite a few years before it got lost somewhere.Generally though, I don't mind it the way it is. Adding additional step to every tool crafting recipe won't be making it much more fun, just longer and while it's an effect worth consideration in certain situations, I am not sure it's one of them. 

Ruins.

Now, we're talking - it's what I came to this thread for!I won't make further quotes because you tend to repeat certain things in your post, but in general:We had some very nice discussion regarding TFC lacking things to do in late-game period where most of the survival aspect disappears (everyone is nearly completely self-sufficient) and the only, rather flimsy objectives for one's consideration is to get more or higher tier metal (like if there'd be much need to go anywhere where better armor or weapons would be useful) or build stuff for the hell of it.Because of that, I believe that ruins and generally, 'special places' would be quite a nice thing. They would encourage exploration, be a source of rare or othewise unattainable items/blocks and overall - a reason for player to continue playing, instead of dropping the game.I liked the temples/pyramids I could find in vanilla game. Not even for rewards - the first few times the structures themselves, something to explore that wasn't simply another bunch of trees or a hill was a nice breath of fresh air.I'd like more of those to be in the game and not even as ruins - caves where some rare animals or even simply bears would live, suspicious parts of the forests where weird types of trees block the sun and both monsters and treasures lie, tombs, crystal caverns with unique, tiny ecosystems, simple left-overs of civilisation or monuments - little in terms of material wealth but a landmark for the curious to behold - resist passage of time.I don't buy into the idea that it's solely up to players to make ruins. Aside from the biggest of servers, where players would come and go without world being reset, it simply wouldn't work. Even then, though, it wouldn't be exploring some virgin place, but rather looting some ex-player's house. No mystery, no adventure, no chance for unique - even if simply of aesthetic value - resources, only dull, mundane 'oh, hey, some a bar of iron - guess I can use that'.It's worth pointing out, though, that I in general dislike the idea of every special place being monster + treasure fare. It's not heroic fantasy, I don't want to fight monsters for some crystal swords +2 against undead - I want memorable places to see, with possibly rare things that can be useful depending on what one seeks. Decorational item, a wall block with some mosaic, rare plant some herbalist could be interested in (provided we'd ever get something like natural medicine, alchemy or whatever) a few shards of glowing crystal which can be combined into alternative to the torch and counterpart to the vanilla's glowdust - not more useful than one in any way, but aesthetically pleasing.Such kind of thing, especially if some of the 'special locations' would be relatively rare but 'track-able' would enrich my game far more than steam engines or other such things int he works. It'd be an element in TFC which would mesh well with the theme, yet grant that bit of mysticism, discovery or adventure.

Diamond tipping sharp tools

I don't know.

To the best of my knowledge, diamond tips are used for drills, electric saws, knives, and chisels.

We don't have drills or electric saws, and the diamond-tipped knives are used for eye surgery and for cutting things(usually specimens) into ultra-thin(and I do mean ultra-thin) slices.

We don't have the need for eye surgery or ultra-thin anything in TFC.

The diamond chisels are pretty much the only thing we might use, but it is used to chip away at stone preciously, something that we can already do.

I don't think we really need diamond-tipped tools

and diamond dust isn't coated, it's embedded inside metal so you can 'grind' away at the harder materials. and is used for things like the electric saw mentioned above.

I do like the idea of fasting tool heads though

I don't think the mod needs things like sprawling ruins and dungeons to promote exploration. However, small structures like monoliths, tombs, stonehenges, mini pyramids and wells are enough to add a little diversity to the terrain, and give a little more character to the land. They could also serve as landmarks and promote people to settle down in the area (especially for SMP servers, where people tend to be scattered everywhere).Honestly, these ruins don't need any unique tools, boss mobs, and mob spawners. Just existing is a valid reason for people to explore one, and try to find more. Pieces of ore and salt should be the best loot you can find, if these ruins should have loot at all.

Already gotcha covered on the ruins. Just a few things Dunk and I have been discussing, though I sincerely doubt these would ever actually make it into the game. Still, it's nice to fantasize...
I quickly mocked up an abandoned guard tower:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a small underground abandoned city:

Posted Image

Posted Image