Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmo

[Solved] Question about odd lava movement behavior

6 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules: ya

TFC Version #: .79.21 Forge Version #: 10.13.4.1448   SinglePlayerHave you deleted your config files or are using default configs and are still able to reproduce this bug? haven't changed them Do you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed? Waila If you have Optifine or Cauldron installed, can you still reproduce the bug after uninstalling them? don't use those

I was experimenting in creative with lava, and noticed some kind of odd behavior and wanted to see if there are any guidelines I'm missing as to how it works. Basically, I was trying to make lava channels to move it around.  I noticed that when I drop it down a level, It doesn't always take all the available channels.  I had one case where there were 3 channels at 90 degrees, and it only took one of them.   In another case, I had four available channels, and it took 3 of them, but not the other. 

I found that in the second case for example - 4 channels - if I blocked off the 3 channels it preferred to take, it would indeed take the fourth when it dropped.  And if I then broke open the preferred channels after it had dropped,  it would take them, resulting in lava in all four channels.  However, if I blocked off the shunned channel, let the lava fall and fill the others, and then broke open the shunned channel, the lava still would not flow into it.  I could detect no rhyme or reason to how the lava chose which channel(s) to take. 

I'm not saying there's a bug or anything, but I was wondering if there are guidelines, or maybe this is a mechanic that hasn't really been examined and could be cleaned up to be more consistent, or what.

Here's an example of the first case, where the lava chose to take only 1 of the 3 available channels. 

post-18344-0-98058100-1439752139.jpg

It will take others if you block off the preferred channel.  If you then break the block obstructing the preferred channel it will flow into it.  But  if it is already in the preferred channel, opening up other channels will not make it flow into them. 

Lava uses the vanilla water mechanics for movement. If you want to learn how they work, I would suggest this game by SethBling:

Ah, I think I get it now, that it's not about what's actually next to the lava when it drops, it's about the 'potential' - the nearest next-block-down.  I also noticed that lava doesn't seem to set plank blocks, logs, or lumber on fire.  Is that just because I'm in creative mode?  The minecraft wiki suggested lava checks around it for wood blocks to burn.

Lava not lighting nearby blocks on fire is a bug, and has been fixed for .23

So I was flying about in a ceative mode test world, and noticed that a large forest fire had started around some lava pools in an acacia forest.  So lava is indeed starting surroundings on fire, but I wonder if maybe world gen should be tweaked to not have trees generate near lava?  I watched the forest fire for quite awhile in an ever-expanding ring, and it seemed like it could burn forever.  Or at least until it rains I guess.  Not sure if world gen tweaks are in the cards at this stage, or if lava generates before trees,  but I thought I'd point out that lava pools are kind of a severe forest danger now.

Edited by Darmo

Fire spread is just the vanilla mechanic, which already has measures in place to prevent fire from spreading infinitely and destroying an entire forest. I don't remember if they got rid of it with the nerf, but I believe the difficulty your game is set to determines how long the fire will burn.