Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kotoroshinoto

Weapons / Tools: Benefits & Drawbacks of each type

7 posts in this topic

Something I think has been missing

Stone Tools

Durability at least partially dependent on materials used to make tool

(type of stone definitely affects it, not sure about wood/bone handle differences, but I wouldn't be suprised)

Metal tools- durability depends on metal type, enables creation of several new item types and the sword, which no longer has a stone version

--- Stone+ Tools ---

• Axe

• Fairly effective as a weapon
    • tool to take down trees
    • Converts log into 1 plank
  • Shovel

• Breaks diggable block types very quickly
    • Fairly cheap to make
    • Not very effective as a weapon, currently about as strong as a knife, but uses durability
  • Pickaxe

• Breaks minable block types and returns mined resource
    • Somewhat effective as a weapon, same damage as axe, but uses durability faster, better to use other choices
  • Prospector Pick

• Locates ore within a scanning area when used
    • Not effective as a weapon
  • Knife

• Slightly better than fighting bare-handed
    • other uses may come later
  • Hammer

• Used with chisel for masonry (making stairs, shaving layers, etc)
    • Used with anvil for metalworking
    • Use in crafting area with certain stones to make flux
    • (perplexingly) not very effective as a weapon (getting hit by a hammer HURTS IRL)

• might as well be barehanded
      • maybe we should get warhammers
  • Hoe

• Use to till ground to plant crops
    • Not very effective as a weapon, might as well be barehanded
---Metal Only Tools---
  • Chisel

• Use with hammer to shave/edit blocks in masonry
    • Use in crafting area with broken stones to make stone bricks
    • Can be used to make "shiny smooth"stone out of pristine "smooth" stone
  • Saw

• VERY effective at cutting trees down
    • Converts logs into 3 planks
    • Not very effective as a weapon
  • Scythe

• Absolutely wrecks leaf blocks in large groups
    • Makes churning through trees to get resources very easy.
  • Sword

• More effective weapon than axes
    • Can only be made of metal (double ingots)
  • Mace

• Alternate weapon to sword
    • According to wiki, they are functionally identical currently

Having the most optimal tool may not always be the wisest course. For instance, early on when metal is scarce, why not just make and use a saw when cutting trees down? Having an axe around may help defend yourself without requiring you to use metal on a sword, maybe save uses of the saw for converting the logs to planks if you've got a building project going. Having the axe already equipped means you can just turn and attack (not that switching is hard, but its less of a reaction required, which might save you)

You are listing each of the tool's functions. Your point with this thread is...?

You are listing each of the tool's functions. Your point with this thread is...?

People don't always manage their resources correctly. It may not be the wisest course to just make one of everything the second you've got the ingots and it makes sense to make only what you need.

I've seen people say things like "just make a saw and you'll never need an axe again", which isn't necessarily the best choice in some situations.

And yes, its listing the functions, thank you captain obvious

Usually if I'm out foraging for resources on the surface i'll carry an axe as my primary tree cutting tool until i've got enough metal ore collected to warrant using (and potentially losing, if creepers show up) the material for a saw/scythe combo.

A stone axe doesnt take all that long to cut a tree down and only takes 1 inventory space, where the saw/scythe take 2. Doesn't seem like much, but it can make the difference between # of trips, and response time. When you're carrying saw/scythe you're also going to be carrying a weapon, which takes another space, and possibly also a shovel, depending on what you plan to do.

Sometimes its best to just bring the stuff in for processing and use the saw at home.

Also, at what point do you start making carrying a sword? I haven't really bothered yet, as the axe seems to be enough for me.

I don't believe I've ever had a reason to make armor, they use SO many ingots, and I rarely need it.

Some of your "data" is wrong.

Such as you have the Axe listed as a "fairly effective weapon" and the pick ax listed as "Somewhat effective as a weapon" when in fact they both deal the exact same amount of damage only difference is that the pick ax loses durability quicker when attacking.

you also have the shovel, hoe and hammer listed as "not very effective as a weapon" when the hoe and hammer give no damage bonus (might as well be bare handed) yet the shovel does. a shovel (stone) will kill an enemy twice as fast as using bare hands. with axe and pick ax killing even faster.

I think it was 22 unarmed punches or 11 hits from a stone shovel or 8 swings from a stone axe and pick ax to kill a zombie when last I tested it.

I think the knife had a damage boost to be equal with the shovel. haven't tested it sense the change.

Some of your "data" is wrong.

Such as you have the Axe listed as a "fairly effective weapon" and the pick ax listed as "Somewhat effective as a weapon" when in fact they both deal the exact same amount of damage only difference is that the pick ax loses durability quicker when attacking.

you also have the shovel, hoe and hammer listed as "not very effective as a weapon" when the hoe and hammer give no damage bonus (might as well be bare handed) yet the shovel does. a shovel (stone) will kill an enemy twice as fast as using bare hands. with axe and pick ax killing even faster.

I think it was 22 unarmed punches or 11 hits from a stone shovel or 8 swings from a stone axe and pick ax to kill a zombie when last I tested it.

I think the knife had a damage boost to be equal with the shovel. haven't tested it sense the change.

made some changes, is it more suited to what you were thinking now?