Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deathbytac0

Smithing Overhaul- from my idea of Chimney Chokes

9 posts in this topic

Chimney chokes needed its own thread and I got to thinking of all the stuff that can be improved, over time, in the whole smithing tree.

First off: Chimney Chokes

The original idea. A chimney choke is a block or panel that cuts off the chimney allowing little heat to escape. This will result in many things such as: turning your house/forge into an oven, puffing smoke into your face (and a terrible cough later), cutting off the greatest oxygen supply, and increasing heat of the forge casing overall. Increases in ambient and case temperatures will really boost the heat. To increase the effectiveness of this some things some other things must change.

The Overhaul:

So you are probably thinking: "Why make it easier?" "We have bellows!" Well, I never said it was easier and yes I know of bellows, and they can become a big help right now.

Why do we have a temperature gauge? Why is it not an actual temperature? I really think that because you can get a fire hotter than the surface of the sun in a pot, covered but even outside, now the temperature may be that high but we don't know because its a gauge! We need a number, a few numbers to be exact. We can have the case(stone around the forge/bloomery) temperature and the ambient tempurature. Now more on topic of the chimney chokes. If you close the chimney off and your forge is in the house, its going to suffocate. This is where bellows come in. On smp, have somebody spam the bellows, bellows as we know increase temperature...with a chimney. So once again your forge is enclosed in your house, choke on, bellows spammed. I mentioned earlier case temperature, the bellows will slightly cool the case. After a while sufficient oxygen will have been given for a while and it's not really doing much any more, it's cooling the case and decreasing your heat now. There is definitely a sweet spot here to get the forge or bloomery really, really hot, so you have to be precise.

How to do it:

I don't mean code, sorry Bioxx, I am limited on my knowledge of coding(I do code however). I'm talking about how to open and close the choke. You could do it manually or have the almighty simple wooden camshaft to turn it with a lever. A camshaft, all I'm asking, can bring some more cool stuff later.

What it can do in the end:

All I see here is my idea and a huge gateway for so many old age inventions and a lot of new metals. If you choose to do this get on those metals, I would like to see normal iron too, you can get rid of some of the vanilla recipes you don't want. If we want those items we will spawn them or live with it. I don't really know what you can think up, so on the side all of you can suggest if you like my idea.

Some smithing stuff I like:

Smithing can still have more (To EternalUndeath: I almost typed moar. XD) changes and additions. One I like is volcanic smithing, still needs work in my opinion but good idea. You have probably all seen it but here: http://terrafirmacra...g-and-smithing/

Suggestions to this idea:

Gateway suggestions:

• More metals-by me (any suggestions on what metals)
Thank you all for reading, hope you like! Also I welcome suggestions, and suggest things this can lead to if you want.

Oh, I have confused people on some things that I mean literally or not literally, just ask(will be posted here), but here is some things I see can be mistook.

Section 1:

• Puffing smoke in your face-true
  • cough later-maybe
Section 2:

Section 3:

Section 4:

Section 5:

Section 6:

Commented on this in the first thread, But I still see no problem with the current system. Bellows to icrease heat at an increased fuel compsumption rate, and (if I have been led to understand it correctly) coal and charcoal which give different base heat as fuel.

Always room for expansion. I really don't think the system now is too bad either. Just think of how beast you can make a forge though if this goes through. Plus plenty of this can be very easily be added over time in little bits to ease up the amount of code going into a single update. Like the choke, then the camshaft, effects, oxygen, new heat meter, extra heat meters, and so on. Biggest will probably be case temperate, which will be similar to the system that makes ambient temperature effect smithing, oxygen can pretty much be a timer.

...mabye a flue system that can keep some of the heat but disperse the smoke...

...mabye a flue system that can keep some of the heat but disperse the smoke...

By which you mean a fuel/object that will keep heat made in the crazy heating stage and not give smoke?

Well I need to look up some things like that, you can too if you want.

Arthur, after thinking a bit, I think I could actually do most of this with the code from the mod on ventrillo with a dev. And I would, so if anybody needs help coding, I'll be glad, just clean up my code in the end lol.

By which you mean a fuel/object that will keep heat made in the crazy heating stage and not give smoke?

Well I need to look up some things like that, you can too if you want.

A flue, yes it is spelled correctly, is a ventilation system made to keep as much heat in as possible while letting smoke and harmful gases out

A flue, yes it is spelled correctly, is a ventilation system made to keep as much heat in as possible while letting smoke and harmful gases out

/offtopic

Not really helping or anything, but this is what wiki's got to say about flues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flue

/offtopic

But I still think the system we have in place is more than addequate and as complicated as it needs to be for believability's sake. Could a chimney be added? Yes. Would it change much in the grand sceme of things? In my opinion, no, it wouldn't. Not saying it couldn't be added, just that what we have accomplishes much the same.

Lol I didn't even see the different spelling. I would say a half cover to put over the access and a room behind to release smoke... like a smoker's car with the covers hanging over the window(#bad example). This would allow more heat to escape but yeah if you can think of a way to direct the smoke away from you if this won't work (I'll look at the wiki Arthur just posted as I'm typing). I will add it to suggestions, if we sort it out.

Has this gone too far from my original idea of chimney chokes?