Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
GismoT

Private Security aka how to be save without beeing online 24/7

11 posts in this topic

1. Locks

Why do we have Locks, to keep the badguys out of our stuff

What if we were able to make locks and keys ?

simple idea, the knapping gui has already "all" the code

you 1 make a keyplan (you get the knapping guy, shaping the key) with that you create the lockplan,

place the keyplan on the locksmith table, youll get a lockplan, you guys can think now, how many parts the lock should consist of (balancing etc)

the lock could be placed on doors, chests (gates when they are hopefully implemented)

the way to get past the lock:

i see 2 way 1. make lockpicks+ a little lockpick minigame like fallout 3

or the thief would have to make all key possibilites there are (if magnet locks or redstone locks are not an issue, there cant be that many key combinations ( you need 1 complete row to connect the beard, to the keyshaft)

2. Ladders, and why they are OP

since most guys who wrote about themselfes in the forums seem to know something about physiks or a general knowledge untainted by tv or the big cities, ill just say it straight, there is no way a ladder is simply a sticky thing you can glue on walls as you wish :P

this is why i propose 2 new ladders

the wall ladder

do you know how scaffholdings work ? in the middleages, sticks were incorporated in the buildings wall, so the scaffholdings do not break apart/move away from the wall, removed later or shortend so they can be used in case of repairs

today,only small hooks are placed in the brickwall (if the building has more then 3+stories) these are removed, holes are filled with concrete

the scafholdings in concrete are ...... ok no revelance anymore :P

to "glue" the ladders to the wall you are going to need a way to fix them, these could be hooks(need a hammer+ hooks in the quickbar) this would take time (if you fortifed something you have have time to shoot down the intruder(s)

the longladder

basicly a huuge 1piece ladder, to be placed against a wall ( otherwise it will come crashing down)

alsoraw/cobble/sand/gravel shouldnt be able to form a pillar/if not properly placed (support etc)

so now that we established ways how not to get into a good castle, lets talk about how to :P

with the building update, caveins are hopefully a way to tear down enemy walls (make a big shaft under the wall(TNT MAYBE?) =)

get some nice longladders and hope your fellow conquerers shoot down the enemy defenders ( and hope they dont have "unoticable" sally ports like in GoT)

get some nice siedgeweapons

cannons ( we got the stuff to make gunpowder anyway why dont just give a use for it :P)

trebuchets (burning balls stones, grapeshots etc)

rams

etc

you get my point, i want to build walls that have a other reasons then oooh so pretty,

and a nice thanks to gimpygary, with whom i discussed these matters while building black rock hold :P

PS.: JED WHATS GOING ON?

why am i able to like it myself ?

wtf is this facebook ?

we should still be able to easily make footholds in raw stone functioning as ladders for our mines, to compensate

the thing is, footholds, would be a halfslabthingy, so i dont know if thats so good and implementable, since if it is possible with raw stone, what would happen to bricks ?, normaly if you got good shoes you are able to climb most old brickwalls/remove 1 brick with ease, the balance the balance =), and tbh, the spiral staircase is muchbetter -> more building material, bigger area of prospecting,+a turboshaft down

would it be so hard to also leave a comment and not only like it ?

i need some feedback here

I think the lack of feedback is due to the fact that this has been done to death, resurrected, and then slain by a well-balanced party of racially diverse adventurers over in the kingdoms thread

I don't really like this idea, at least how it is presented right now. The locks you are speaking of require springs, which are difficult to make, and would only help in multi-player struggles, yet still not really. A player could simply break the door or chest, or get in through a wall. Going through all of that effort to make a lock and key, and it turns out to be useless, or you lose your key. The lockpicking wouldn't fit either, as it is generally regarded as an rpg element.

About the ladders, a ladder bock instead of a ladder attached to the side of the block would work fine, but I believe that was suggested before. A ladder would either be one whole length(craft ladders together to add length) leaning against a wall, or two same length ladders hooked with a couple extra sticks, that holds in its place without support.

Regarding siege weapons, some would be cool, but no gunpowder please. I doubt they will be implemented anyway, or at least any time soon, but they would be pretty cool and not overly effective (maybe they can break some blocks).

could it be, that these suggestions are for smp ? just sayin :P

the point of locks and "better" walls were to add security, if you have a big enough wall/well constructed (filled with phys blocks etc)

i dont want to come with the "its realistic rules" but having a lock without springs can be beliveable, also making springs isnt that hard, if you got the proper materials, you need a wirerer, and 2 dudes :P

whats your problem with lockpickin, since when does lockpickin mean you have to rp ?

also, a door never is 100% secure, its only an obstruction, to keep the badguys long enough at bay, so they either decide its not worth it, or to get the cops, simple as that

you kinda summed up with your ladder paragraph what i meant thanks =)

we got all the stuff to make gunpowder anyway (mix it together if they add the recipe/get a creeper) so why not ?

@ eternal i dont want to complain, but a more helpfull tagging system/a propper order in the threads/a page with all the ideas denied; under consideration would help alot, most people dont have time think of every possible name for every idea they have, just so they can enter it in a very simple databank search, in addition google doesnt seem to like these forums, so outside search hasnt been helpfull either

could it be, that these suggestions are for smp ? just sayin :P

the point of locks and "better" walls were to add security, if you have a big enough wall/well constructed (filled with phys blocks etc)

i dont want to come with the "its realistic rules" but having a lock without springs can be beliveable, also making springs isnt that hard, if you got the proper materials, you need a wirerer, and 2 dudes :P

whats your problem with lockpickin, since when does lockpickin mean you have to rp ?

also, a door never is 100% secure, its only an obstruction, to keep the badguys long enough at bay, so they either decide its not worth it, or to get the cops, simple as that

you kinda summed up with your ladder paragraph what i meant thanks =)

we got all the stuff to make gunpowder anyway (mix it together if they add the recipe/get a creeper) so why not ?

@ eternal i dont want to complain, but a more helpfull tagging system/a propper order in the threads/a page with all the ideas denied; under consideration would help alot, most people dont have time think of every possible name for every idea they have, just so they can enter it in a very simple databank search, in addition google doesnt seem to like these forums, so outside search hasnt been helpfull either

Yeah, I know this is a SMP suggestion, but I am just listing all of the negatives. I do want to know though, what "physics block" you keep talking about, and if it is really believable at all to make a wall that repairs itself by part of it falling down.

Springs, maybe it's just me as I am not an expert in engineering, seem to be a bit difficult to make out of a rock hammer and a bit of metal chunks heated up in a fireplace. It has to be layed out and cooled so that a roughly even distributions of the molecules or impurities, then carefully twisted such that a high-tension coil is it's natural state, and all of this must be done with a nice strong, yet flexible metal to assure any sort of quality. So maybe possible, but a lot of work, and then why not just make some copper wires and start running factories off of steam or water power. Just doesn't seem within the realm of this mod.

I do not have a problem with lockpicking, except that I am terrible at it IRL :P . I am usually always the rogue-ish character that picks locks and shoots arrows into exposed tender backs, whenever I play RPGs. I was just saying that it is usually associated with RPGs, and although it would work if locks are implemented, It may not appeal to Bioxx for this reason.

Gunpowder is another case of higher level tech I don't believe we should get. When you get that, you can start making fireworks, rifles, simple rockets, weak grenades, etc. And TNT. This is where minecraft SMP went horribly wrong. Even though it is not really made of gunpowder, this is the direction it takes us. Also, think of the difficulty of finding a good sulfur/charcoal/saltpeter mix naturally, the mythbusters had a heck of a time with it, as it's quite specific.

Regarding the denied/confirmed/pending list, I would love to see it, but there are too many people on here like Noodles who wouldn't let those get very far before tackling them off topic. Also, the main post would need to be updated, as I, at least, do not even bother trying to read or leave input on anything more than 3 pages long, I am not completely devoid of life :P .

phys blocks are simply blocks affected by physics so if you got rid of 1 cobble, the next 1 would fall down and so on =)

if springs bother you, think about this, you are able to create a shovel blade with stone with any stone not only shist ( the only logical stone )

you are able to make steel without glowing it for hours to get rid of the impurities, you are able to make red blue and black steel

just sayin

i thought gunpowder would be introduced since we can find salpeter and sulfur, and since there are no hints in the direction of fertilizer so yeah you get my point

i think most people answered with ssp, because a tfc server is a lot more expensive then vanilla, buggy as hell ( neeeeeeds alot of ram)

also the server list is a mess, my server nomenclature thread got ignored so yeah =) without any actual help from the hosts there wont be no big server community

hopefully we get access to alot of plugins with 1,4 (aka the bukkit crew saved mojangs ass) or the smp gets more focus

tfc is like mw the early cods, great campaign, but the multiplayer (in terms of content) is not really that diffrent from the single, so why bother getting griefed/glitched