Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gekkey Mathews

Is charcoal making balanced?

8 posts in this topic

I'm not so sure that the current failure rate for wood turning into charcoal is completely balanced. You have to cut down a chunk of trees to make enough charcoal to get about 8 ingots. Then another chunk to warm them enough to form them into shape. It takes about 5 chunks of trees to make a set of armor then multiply that by a few people and you've deforested a continent.

This is when you start a tree farm, preferrably with willows as they provide the most logs per sapling. Although I'm curious as to your choice of the words "current failure rate" as I'm not quite sure what you refer to.

Another way to conserve fuel is to shape the metals directly after making them into ingots.

Later on when you have found fosil coal, either bituminous coal or lignite, you can use that in the forge to heat up the metals instead of using charcoal for everything.

It may be unbalanced ingame, but sadly it is the same in real life.

Right now only about 25% of the logs you put into the charcoal pit actually come out as charcoal. the rest fail and burn up.

I am aware it is possible to use less to no charcoal. I was doubtful that only getting so little per tree was balanced.

actually, the amount of charcoal, being about 1/4th, is actually based of how much you can expect from a real-world pyrolytic conversion from wood to charcoal... there is the big reason we moved away from powering trains with coal and nowadays use more efficient fuel methods.

Think of the process like so: you condense the heating matter in the wood, removing the huge amount of water that is in the wood, thus when later using it you get a higher burn temperature. Basically making wood into charcoal doesn't add to the energy in the wood itself, it transforms it so that it's warmer, and thus have a shorter lifespan, hence the 1/4th amount.

charcoal was never used for trains, stonecoal and coke were used for trains, we switched not of their ineffecientcy ( steamenines have a effeciency of up to 96%) steam engines for traines were abondond due to the need to prefire them up to 3 hours before use, and the cost to produce good locomotives,

a diesel engine+generator on a train chassy is much cheaper, wich replaced the steam engine

you also dont get rid of the water, you "burn" the wood without a sufficent oxygen, this leads to that most of the non C atoms get cut of the former cellulose

so you basicly create almost pure carbon, wich has a higher burntemp and a longer burn time then most wood

what i dont get is, that all the trees have the same charcoal ratio, since willow grows so fast because most of its structure uses water to stabilize the cellstructre (big cells), and wood like oak, hickory (small cells, less water) has the same ratio,

charcoal was never used for trains, stonecoal and coke were used for trains, we switched not of their ineffecientcy ( steamenines have a effeciency of up to 96%) steam engines for traines were abondond due to the need to prefire them up to 3 hours before use, and the cost to produce good locomotives,

a diesel engine+generator on a train chassy is much cheaper, wich replaced the steam engine

you also dont get rid of the water, you "burn" the wood without a sufficent oxygen, this leads to that most of the non C atoms get cut of the former cellulose

so you basicly create almost pure carbon, wich has a higher burntemp and a longer burn time then most wood

what i dont get is, that all the trees have the same charcoal ratio, since willow grows so fast because most of its structure uses water to stabilize the cellstructre (big cells), and wood like oak, hickory (small cells, less water) has the same ratio,

schooled ;) but tbh I was trying to not be too geeky and just cover a few basics instead of telling him what a pyrolytic process does. And I'm guessing he uses only the amount of logs in a pile, rather than looking at what type and such, partly because it's a game, and partly to reduce the amount of stuff that needs to be processed when the pit finishes, the max-size pit is having enough difficulties as it is...

-snip-

you can crash a server with 2.5 ghz and 3 gb ram with a charcoal pit with around 2400 logs so you are probably right

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0