Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DocStineTM

are Performance updates in the future?

36 posts in this topic

Do you have experience with other programming languages, or are you new to programming in general? Were you able to get a "Hello world!" Java example running?

Once the official API is around there will probably be some good introductory material written (or at least I hope so).

I learned a bit of visual basic at school but nothing too fancy, i did got the hello world example but by a youtube tut that didnt explained why i was doing that, i was just a robot there.

Isn't that a biome from some mod...? i think i saw that name somewhere else... o.o

TELL ME!!!!! TELL ME!!!!!!! TELL ME!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Errr... i think it was from a guy who used to wrok with ExtraBiomes but then left and started with his own mod, or something like that...?

I learned a bit of visual basic at school but nothing too fancy, i did got the hello world example but by a youtube tut that didnt explained why i was doing that, i was just a robot there.

The purpose of "Hello world!" is pretty much just to make sure you have a working development environment. It's a trivial example which demonstrates you can successfully compile and run some code.

A typical Java example (as I suppose you've seen) would be:

public class HelloWorld {   public static void main(String[] args) {	  System.out.println("Hello world!");   }}

In Java, every program starts execution in some method called "main". When you run java.exe you tell it which class's main method to use. The args parameter is an array (e.g. a list of values) which contains the command line arguments. That is your starting point and you can call other code from there. If you are writing code that plugs into something else (e.g. a Minecraft mod) then execution isn't starting in your code so you don't have to worry about having a main method.

Beyond that it isn't too important for you to understand everything in that example. You will come to understand it as you learn the different concepts.

Unfortunately I don't really know good teaching materials for programming newbies, but there should be plenty out there. Head First Java was a pretty decent introduction to Java (even if outdated), but maybe doesn't explain the concepts well enough if you're new to programming.

These are the main concepts I think you'll want to understand:

• Variables
  • Methods
  • Classes and objects (basics of Object-Oriented Programming)
  • Loops (while, do-while, and for)
  • Arrays (the most basic data structure provided by Java)
So I'd recommend trying to find some tutorials (or a book) that covers that stuff.

Using an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) such as Eclipse or Netbeans is generally very helpful, but I'd avoid it initially. Work with a text editor (Notepad++ is a good one on Windows) and the command line so you can understand how things work - this will be easy enough for some simple tutorials.

I learned java all the way through advanced data-structures in high school (equivalent of AP Comp. Sci. II) and was pretty good at it, but haven't coded anything in about 3-4 months. Does anyone know a good place to learn the API and class structures of Minecraft? I've always been interested in coding MC stuff and I had a friend in highschool who helped code all the plugins for our custom server, but he went to college in a different state so I haven't been able to talk to him too much. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated!

Does anyone know a good place to learn the API and class structures of Minecraft?

At this point you might just want to wait for the official API to be available. It will be available soon ... probably ... maybe. They did create a repository a few months ago, but it doesn't have anything useful yet.

You might want to familiarize yourself with Maven and Git. You don't need to delve too deeply into Maven - just understand how the run the commands, the basic lifecycle (compile - test - package - install - deploy) and dependency management. If you haven't used an IDE before, might want to grab one of those too - I use Eclipse (download "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers", comes with Git and Maven support), but you might prefer Netbeans or IntelliJ.

If you don't feel like waiting, I can't really help you because I haven't written any mods. But this might be a good place to start: http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Tutorials

Thanks varradami, I think I remember my fiend stating he used some online tutorials section to get started at first. I usually use JCreator LE for my IDE because its lightweight and I like the windows. I've used Eclipse before and didn't like some things on it, but I'm willing to try it again. I can't remember, though, does Eclipse have auto-complete on the free version (if in fact there are different versions...)?

Thanks varradami, I think I remember my fiend stating he used some online tutorials section to get started at first. I usually use JCreator LE for my IDE because its lightweight and I like the windows. I've used Eclipse before and didn't like some things on it, but I'm willing to try it again. I can't remember, though, does Eclipse have auto-complete on the free version (if in fact there are different versions...)?

Oh, there are some things I don't like about Eclipse either. :-) It certainly isn't lightweight. I've tried IntelliJ but don't like the feel. I haven't used Netbeans or JCreator.

Of course it has all the basic things like auto-complete, syntax highlighting, continuous compilation, and so forth. Any IDE without those features isn't worth speaking of.

There are many different packages of Eclipse. That's because Eclipse is a plugin-based architecture - these different packages are mostly just different groups of plugins. You can easily install additional plugins through Eclipse itself. The "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" contains all the plugins you should need.

There are some non-free plugins and packages of Eclipse (produced by various organizations). You don't need those.

Errr... I think it was from a guy who used to work with ExtraBiomes but then left and started with his own mod, or something like that...?

You are correct. I believe the terrain modification is titled 'More Biomes' or something along those lines. Unfortunately, he (his name is literally 'TL;DR', if I am correct) won't be porting it to Forge because:

-He doesn't know the Forge code at all.

-Users have been begging him to port 'More Biomes', despite his warnings.

-Users on sites such as Reddit spread lies and gossip stating that he told those who wanted to 'help' 'to f*** off'.

That modification, however, isn't going to be compatible regardless, but I cursed those who bugged TL;DR to port it to Forge; it's a great modification, :angry:.

...terrain modification is titled 'More Biomes' or something along those lines...(his name is literally 'TL;DR')...

Holy shit, it's like you don't even attempt to research things before you say them. 'More Biomes'? There's only been one break-off mod and that wasn't it. And I know the mod creator's real nickname is seven letters long and therefore tl;dr but that doesn't mean his nickname is 'TL;DR'. In fact, there's nobody on the minecraft forums by that name.

Holy s***, it's like you don't even attempt to research things before you say them. 'More Biomes'? There's only been one break-off mod and that wasn't it. And I know the mod creator's real nickname is seven letters long and therefore tl;dr but that doesn't mean his nickname is 'TL;DR'. In fact, there's nobody on the minecraft forums by that name.

Well then, don't try to be so harsh when replying. No one is perfect, not even me. This is what from what I remember, m'kay? So calm yourself down, Biodigious. Also, did you not read 'or something along those lines?'? That gives out a clue that I do not exactly remember that title of the modification. Your 'constructive criticism(?)' sounds more of an insult rather being constructive.

No arguments, please.

Pay him no mind sda. he is just the local Troll.