Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Credinus

[SOLVED] Null Pointer Exception

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've got a problem that I've been unable to resolve. I am running into intermittent crashes being caused by a null pointer exception, which is assumably happening on specific chunk generations when I load them for the first time. The crash itself I don't mind, as they don't happen entirely often and I have no problems once I restart the client; however, I am worried that the cause of the crash may also be generating ores improperly. I've linked a pastebin below with the class files referenced in the crash log; I am assuming that the cause is either from having an incorrect version of something or installing in an incorrect order. Here is everything I've got, along with the order I installed them:

Minecraft 1.4.6 - clean jar file and .minecraft folder to start with

Forge 6.5.0.486 - added to jar first

Optifine 1.4.6_HD_U_A3 - added after Forge

PlayerAPI - 1.4.6 version 1.3 - added after Optifine

Matmos version R21 - Added files to their appropriate folder (no jar file modifications)

TFC Build 75 - Added to mods folder (no jar file modifications)

And here is the pastebin link: http://pastebin.com/pVSExZnP

As you can see in the crash log there, the error appears to be originating from the ore vein generation procedures from TFC. I dug through the mods installed and noticed that most of the core class files referenced have modified versions in both Forge and Optifine, which makes me think that one of those two is the problem. I'm assuming that 6.5.0.486 is still the correct version of Forge to use, but I have not been able to find any references to what version of Optifine is most compatible and since some of the class files in the NPE log are included in Optifine, it's most likely that.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this issue, or at the very least, which version of Optifine I should be using with the current TFC build?

[edit] As far as I can tell, Waveshaper's suggestion to not use the multi-core chunk loading option in Optifine appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.

I don't personally use it, but I heard an old optifine works better.

I think.

I wonder if it's the edition of Optifine I'm using. I went with the oldest 1.4.6 version of the ultra edition when I set everything up, but now that I'm thinking about it, the ultra edition has those chunk loading optimization features. Since my problem seems to be prompted by chunk generation, I bet that's the problem is (since I am assuming that the referenced core class files deal with chunk loading and the ultra edition likely overwrites the Forge ones).

I'll give the standard Optifine edition a try later and see if that fixes the issue; anyone else have any ideas on it?

Optifine U A3 works fine for me - also the A2 have worked before - Problems I can think of:

1. Optifine before PlayerAPI? You should probably check if both are affecting same classes - than it's always a bad idea to load Optifine NOT at the very last Jar-Mod.

2. Optifine itself makes problems with your CPU. Such things happen from time to time - I can think of at least two versions of Optifine I used, that crashed all the time I use the Multicore-Option on my Notebook. If I used standard-chunkloading or the smooth option, all was fine - also after updating these special builds.

Why are you using such an old version of OptiFine? Newer is always better.

Reinstall the modification in the following order:

-Forge Universal

-PlayerAPI

-TFC Build 75

Then you can install your other modifications in any order after this one.

This helps?

Optifine U A3 works fine for me - also the A2 have worked before - Problems I can think of:

1. Optifine before PlayerAPI? You should probably check if both are affecting same classes - than it's always a bad idea to load Optifine NOT at the very last Jar-Mod.

2. Optifine itself makes problems with your CPU. Such things happen from time to time - I can think of at least two versions of Optifine I used, that crashed all the time I use the Multicore-Option on my Notebook. If I used standard-chunkloading or the smooth option, all was fine - also after updating these special builds.

I double-checked and it doesn't look like PlayerAPI shares any class files with Optifine, but I have been using the multicore option for chunk loading. Given that you have experienced crashes from that option and the fact that my problem does seem to stem from chunk loading/generation, I'm going to give it a go this evening using the standard chunk loading. I'll give it an hour or two to make sure and will post whether or not that fixed the problem, thanks for the suggestion.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0