Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steev

Flooded with Saplings

10 posts in this topic

I've set up camp in an area with a rainfall of 8000 (which sounds HUGE to me, but it's too late to move now) and these saplings... they just keep coming. I've razed the forest for about 100 blocks in every direction, but I just can't get them to stop popping up everywhere, constantly, including in the middle of my construction efforts. Nothing stops these pests and it's getting old fast.

So the question is: Anyone know of a way to end invasive saplings? I'll even config it out, if that's the only way, but that's a last resort (if it's possible at all).

Hoe all the ground or replace it with stone, sand, gravel, planks, etc.

I'm not sure, but it may be that saplings will only appear on grass blocks. If that's the case then you can replace all of the grass blocks with dirt and ring the area with a grass-proof border (hoed ground, stone, etc).

Sapling spawning is based off of initial world gen. So if there is a sycamore, oak forest there at world gen, sycamore and oak saplings will continue to spawn in that area. If you don't want to constantly keep an eye out for saplings, build in an area such as a plain or swamp, where there are few to no trees there when you first arrive.

Sapling mechanics have been changed for Build 77. They will no longer spawn if the temperature is below 20C, and they need line of sight in order to grow, so you won't have to worry about a tree coming up out of your basement.

Hoe all the ground or replace it with stone, sand, gravel, planks, etc.

I'm not sure, but it may be that saplings will only appear on grass blocks. If that's the case then you can replace all of the grass blocks with dirt and ring the area with a grass-proof border (hoed ground, stone, etc).

I am hoping that the other reply is the real answer, because this requires a lot of work and I'm lazy.

Sapling spawning is based off of initial world gen. So if there is a sycamore, oak forest there at world gen, sycamore and oak saplings will continue to spawn in that area. If you don't want to constantly keep an eye out for saplings, build in an area such as a plain or swamp, where there are few to no trees there when you first arrive.

Sapling mechanics have been changed for Build 77. They will no longer spawn if the temperature is below 20C, and they need line of sight in order to grow, so you won't have to worry about a tree coming up out of your basement.

The funny thing is, I built in a swamp and there were about 9 tree species, so that must be why they're so aggressive - I have 9 forests competing for my land. Oops. But the temp is 18.6 and it's mid-summer, hopefully that's as hot as it can get? so now I'm WAY looking foward to Build 77. Thanks guys!

Sapling mechanics have been changed for Build 77. They will no longer spawn if the temperature is below 20C, and they need line of sight in order to grow

Line of sight to what? A standing tree of that type?

all tree sapling, and there must be no block over, like nothing

Line of sight to what? A standing tree of that type?

Line of sight to the sky.

Line of sight to the sky.

Ah. Too bad. Would have made sense to only allow saplings of a certain type to pop up if there are adult trees of the same type nearby.

Ah. Too bad. Would have made sense to only allow saplings of a certain type to pop up if there are adult trees of the same type nearby.

I have cleared out unwanted tree species before and they still spawn. I tried replacing aspen with oak. Oak saplings never spawned and I was constantly picking up aspen saplings.

Yes, because the sapling regeneration do not depend on the tree type that are grown, but the original tree type in that region. I would call it a tree biome.

Even if you cut all the tree of one type in a region, the sapling will still spawn as you are in that tree biome. The only exception might be sequoia, as I almost never pick up sequoia sapling since there is no more sequoia around the town we built.

So if you want a oak tree farm in a aspen biome, you will have to harvest your saplings by breaking the leaf. With a dozen of tree to start with, you should be able to harves enough saplings from the tree to keep your tree farm alive.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0