Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Lykourgus

Regional Chat

3 posts in this topic

You know when you go in big servers and the chat has the tendancy to be all cluttered with non-sense that isn't really relevant to you? But when you go and say something to the guy helping you build your house, he doesn't read the message because it gets washed out by all the other chats? Well, given the quasi-realistic nature of this mod, I think it would be interesting introducing the option of regional chat. As in, nobody receives your chat within, say, 500 blocks (+/-). I've always found it a bit odd that you can chat with a friend when he's on another continent when you call the game "survival". Not to mention that survival isn't just about getting food into your guts, but also dealing with the psychological survival which is mainly dealing with the lack of help and contact. Essentially, surviving is supossed to make you feel isolated. Sure, this wouldn't make sense on a small server of 3 people if they are on different islands. But on bigger servers of 25-30 people, it would make an interesting experience.

Now this would of course be optional. As in, an option that can be enabled within the server's config file. And maybe eventually regional talks if there is such a way of integrating audio chats within the game and not via mumble or the likes. I feel as though isolation would be interesting especially when you find a town that you didn't know existed until you received a lone sentence from someone you've never seen before. Heck, even better, integrating text corruption the farthest you are away (Like when you can't immediately understand someone who's 250m away) So

Bob: Hey guys, how are you doing! -> @1e2o: H#y g20s, 2jk 92e y2k d92ng"

when he's really far away. Or something along the lines of:

Bob: Hey guys, how are you doing! -> Unknown: Hey....you doing."

to represent the corruption of a sentence when you can barely hear it. Anyways, those are my thoughts. This could be fairly easily done without any client side modification. You just have to modify the packets that are sent to players server-side. But client-side modification wouldn't hurt either.

First let me stop you and say that TFC doesn't aim to be "realistic." It aims for being believable. Using the words "realism" and "realistic" are very dangerous on this forum.

Secondly this has been suggested many times before and has been declined due to the fact that there are already many other 3rd party mods and plugins that do this exact feature.

Fair enough. I used the term quasi-realistic for that exact reason. Quasi being the prefix I was aiming for to mean almost.