Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Aldebaran

Hunting Expanded / Aesthetically Enhanced

33 posts in this topic

I just want bears to drop bear heads so I can start my Cavebear cult.

:P

To bring back this topic, I'd like to focus a little more on the actual hunting mechanics of the mod. I would also like to start by saying I understand animals and mobs aren't near completion and that I'm only coming up with ideas for you guys to take from.

I agree with many of Alderbarans original points made, but I personally would like to focus on the interaction of players and animals. I mean how cool would it be if stealth was a factor in taking down an animal, and even the "flight or fight" reaction somehow coded into certain animals AI. So I've heard AI is a real task to code, but in time I think these aspects of the game could really be improved upon and made substantially more realistic. Possibly more ranged weapons could be added and new gear to camouflage yourself, hell even hunting calls and scents you could use, and to delve real deep, wind speeds and direction could also be a factor. Of course like many others more animals to hunt, such as boar, elk, puma, duck, geese and most of the other ones Alderbarans suggested, would be spectacular, though this would probably take quite a long while to be implemented.

I hope people hear what I'm saying, and reply with some of there own ideas on the topic cause I know I haven't covered them all.

Well, for one thing, the 'run around in circles till killed' reflex of animals have to be removed.

They should

1. attack back.

2. Run in a reasonable direction(like, away from you, not to you. I've had a time where I hit a cow and it ran right to me and started going in circles)

3. Run to an adult(if it's a baby. although why you would hit the baby, I don't know)

Also, I'm thinking a 'hunger' would be a great addition.

If a animal like cow/sheep/etc are hungry, they are more likely to go to you when you're holding food.

On the other hand, if they are full, they will be wary of you, even if you have food.

Dangerous animals such as wolves and bears will leave you alone when full, but when hungry, will try to take a bite out of you.

Running should startle mobs, and you should be able to sneak up on mobs if you stay behind them.

Well, for one thing, the 'run around in circles till killed' reflex of animals have to be removed.They should1. attack back.2. Run in a reasonable direction(like, away from you, not to you. I've had a time where I hit a cow and it ran right to me and started going in circles)3. Run to an adult(if it's a baby. although why you would hit the baby, I don't know)Also, I'm thinking a 'hunger' would be a great addition.If a animal like cow/sheep/etc are hungry, they are more likely to go to you when you're holding food.On the other hand, if they are full, they will be wary of you, even if you have food.Dangerous animals such as wolves and bears will leave you alone when full, but when hungry, will try to take a bite out of you.Running should startle mobs, and you should be able to sneak up on mobs if you stay behind them.

Exactly this. Not overly complex yet a game changer. This this this.

what happened with this idea (Allen's one 4 posts above)? devs?

Usually I control how many chickens I have just by moving the rooster to a another pen. If I am not mistaken it needs to be at least 5 blocks away from the hens.

Is totally believable to have infinite chickens that's how it happens in real life.

Posted Image Posted by Djakuta on 11 July 2014 - 07:18 AM in Suggestions

What if animals would spawn again and again but each time it would be calculated how many animal of that species there are in a certain radius. So not to overpopulate.

Also the system would only slowly repopulate so if you overkill any kind of animal they would be rarer to find and it would take a long time for the population to grow back.

Sorry for the long sentences in a hurry. 

Implementing on that idea we could have animals breeding on the wild but only until a certain number is reached.

So if we want to domesticate an animal we should need to get the babies. It should be impossible to get a wild animal and tame it.

And the babies would be just tame and not domesticated. Only the second generation would be really domesticated.

​Remember that between finding the animal, getting the babies, raising it and finally breeding, is going to take years before you really have a domesticated animal. 

What if we can not feed wild animals? only very young ones?

Once you feed a young animal it becomes tamed.

Once you breed tamed animals you have domesticated.

I don't want anyone killing my toto.

I vote no to killing dogs for meat.