Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CreepyD

Wheat - to knife or not to knife?

15 posts in this topic

So I've been playing for days and have yet to find any wheat.

Upon looking here I've seen people saying 'good luck' when trying to find wheat - not good enough :P

I've got literally hundreds of straw from slashing at grass with my knife, but have yet to see any wheat.

The only help I can find says you just 'break' long grass - does that mean if I use a knife all I get is straw?

Should I be using bare hands to try to find wheat?

I'd rather know beforehand rather than wasting an hour bashing grass one way only to find it was the other way I needed to do :)

Actually, since a few versions seeds don't drop from grass anymore, including wheat seeds if I am not mistaken. Agriculture page on wiki is the only one fully up to date regarding plants as far as I know, so you may have been mislead.

The only really sure way either way for you to get a seed is to find wheat growing in the wild and harvest that.

Actually, since a few versions seeds don't drop from grass anymore, including wheat seeds if I am not mistaken. 

No seeds drop from tall grass anymore. The only way to get any seed now is to harvest the crop.

If you want wheat, you'll have to find the plant in the world and break it. It will look something like this:

Posted Image

This is rye, but it looks similar to wheat, so you can see how it will kind of look like in the wild:

Posted Image

Awesome thanks for clearing that up.

Always difficult with mods since vids and guides are for various versions.

I have been using the wiki for 99% of my info, so glad to hear that's most up to date.

It explains why I haven't found any too, since I only started venturing out and exploring in early winter, I'm up to January now - almost spring!

Just thought of a question to go with that..

It says the crops spawn in Spring / Summer - do the naturally spawned ones also die off in winter?

No seeds drop from tall grass anymore.

Isn't that what I've said?

Isn't that what I've said?

Sorry, I misread it as "a few versions of seeds don't drop from grass anymore, including wheat seeds if I am not mistaken." As if you were suggesting there were a few types of seeds that did still drop from tall grass.

Just thought of a question to go with that..

It says the crops spawn in Spring / Summer - do the naturally spawned ones also die off in winter?

Naturally spawned crops will die off if the temperature drops low enough. Note that crop death is linked solely to temperature, not to season. Thus warmer climates which support temperatures greater than 0º year-round will not suffer crop deaths. If a natural crop does die from cold (or is harvested or removed in any way) it will respawn during it's given season.

How does this work with newly-generated terrain? If I travel into new terrain, at warm latitudes, in winter, can I expect to find crops which have "survived the winter"?

(I'm suspecting the answer is no, because I've been on a long expedition looking for wheat and found nothing).

How does this work with newly-generated terrain? If I travel into new terrain, at warm latitudes, in winter, can I expect to find crops which have "survived the winter"?

(I'm suspecting the answer is no, because I've been on a long expedition looking for wheat and found nothing).

Wild Crops

Crops spawn randomly in the wild, with each individual typed spanned out over an 8x8 chunk grid. This means the player will have to explore quite some distance in order to gather every single type of crop. Wild crops only generate between the seasons of Spring and Late Summer, and have a chance to regenerate during those seasons every year.

So if youre lucky there respawned some and those you can gather! although they might be gone if they popped out of the groudn and despawned already, ussually when I do expeditions I find tons of popped out seeds on the ground :D

Bile

No, if you are loading new chunks during fall and winter months, there will not be any wild crops in the newly generated terrain.

On a similar note, is there a particular Latitude/Temp/Biome that Jute generates at?I've been looking for a good week (IRL), and while I've found most of the other crops, that's one I haven't been able to find yet.

If I remember rightly (not logged in atm), I'm near -9000z, and have explored 2-3k around there in most directions

On a similar note, is there a particular Latitude/Temp/Biome that Jute generates at?I've been looking for a good week (IRL), and while I've found most of the other crops, that's one I haven't been able to find yet.

If I remember rightly (not logged in atm), I'm near -9000z, and have explored 2-3k around there in most directions

A average biome temperature of at least 5, preferably 10. You also need to make sure that you are exploring and generating the new chunks during the seasons that wild crops can generate: Spring to Late Summer. There are no other special requirements to determine the spawning of jute. It won't matter what latitude or biome you are in.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is not uncommon in TFC to travel at least 10k blocks in search of something specific. This mod is very heavy on exploration.

Can jute 'regrow' like other wild crops?

Can jute 'regrow' like other wild crops?

Yes. Other than the fact that it gives you something that isn't edible when you harvest it, jute behaves exactly the same as every single other crop.