Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
letalhell

Ceramic Cooling Before Usage

6 posts in this topic

That's it. I think ceramics should have a cooling time until they could be used.

I have made some ceramics myself(IRL) and the majority of the time you spend is waiting for it to cool down. If you rush to use, even to SEE the ceramic it will most certanly crack or explode.

So I think that should be implemented, it should be fairly easy to implement and will turn the process more natural and realistc.

There are two ways to do that I find that could work:

1) After the ceramic is done(turn to brown) it will have a temperature(very hot), it should stay on the firepit/forge until the firepit/forge AND the ceramic are cool(that's how's done IRL).

2) After the ceramic is done you can take it in your invetory but if you try to use it and it's still hot(or warming **) it will result in the ceramic lost and the smelted ore too.

Yes. Cool addition but do not want to see that word... yes that one. "Realism".

Bioxx stated that the mod has to be believable around the circumstances the player is surrounded by.

More information about this on the original website...

Other than that its a cool addition to the mod that may be quite annoying but also quite fun after waiting for 1 mold to cool down after 30 min to start a new one...

I can appreciate the base concept, but you have to remember these things are being made in often HUGE quantities. When I clear out a clay deposit, it's usually 3 stacks of molds once crafted. In the current setup (with people often trying to smelt entire chests of ore at once to save fuel), there is little reason to make only 1 or 5 ceramic molds at a time. You make them all at once, replacing finished ones with new ones, to save as much time and fuel as possible. Even if you have plenty of fuel, the less you waste is the less time you have to hunt for more later. If you have to wait for the Ceramic Mold (and by extension firepit/forge) to cool down, you end up nearly doubling the amount of time it takes to make a usable Ceramic Mold, costing extra fuel, and preventing you from using the firepit/forge for anything else.

Now after that, I still appreciate the base concept, so how about a twist to your idea. Our Ceramic Molds are being made in mass production levels of quantity. Mass production can hardly be made 1 or 5 items at a time. How about a new object (and I'm thinking like 3x3 blocks at least here) that functions something like a specially made oven? It could take larger quantities of Clay Molds at once because it is designed for it, but only be able to deal with cooking Clay Molds into Ceramic Molds. It could follow your rules of "don't touch until everything is cooled down" without slowing down the process or interrupting the use of other equipment. It essentially becomes like a charcoal pit, by which I mean something that could take an extended amount of time, but operates on its own off to the side. Just dump in the Clay molds you have, put in enough fuel, and light it up. Then you just wait for the smoke to stop puffing out, light to stop showing, or whatever indicator for "done" is decided upon.

I agree that although it would be more realistic to have them spend some time cooling down first, unless it were possible to craft far more of them at a time, having to wait for them to cool off 'properly' would simply add too much more 'wait' time in the game. Too much waiting around would probably spoil the overall game experience. I just made my first full set of armor (bronze) last night, and that still took a major chunk of time (partially since I had just finally figured out how to make them - finally noticed the wiki article on armor making). But if I had to add in additional time just to let the molds cool before I could even smelt the metals...I think I might lose interest in the game.

How about a new object (and I'm thinking like 3x3 blocks at least here) that functions something like a specially made oven? It could take larger quantities of Clay Molds at once because it is designed for it, but only be able to deal with cooking Clay Molds into Ceramic Molds. It could follow your rules of "don't touch until everything is cooled down" without slowing down the process or interrupting the use of other equipment.

It essentially becomes like a charcoal pit, by which I mean something that could take an extended amount of time, but operates on its own off to the side

I like it better than mine, I was thinking in the process of making 5 ceramics at time and in reality it doesn't work like that. In my ceramic class all the students make their ceramics and when we have a good amount we put them all together in the oven and wait. It saves time and resources that way(cuz it's useless, not say dumbness, cooking a single piece of ceramic)

It also could use the charcoal pit even when making charcoal(I guess).

Some things also could be implemented, like you having to open the ceiling of the pit to accelerate the cooling process, but it couldn't be too soon, cause it could destroy some of the ceramics... You also could leave it closed and wait longer but with no risk of destroying anything.

I can appreciate the base concept, but you have to remember these things are being made in often HUGE quantities. When I clear out a clay deposit, it's usually 3 stacks of molds once crafted. In the current setup (with people often trying to smelt entire chests of ore at once to save fuel), there is little reason to make only 1 or 5 ceramic molds at a time.

Yeah, I totaly agree. It would make smelting metals to hard and annoying.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0