Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

Inventory Changes

31 posts in this topic

This is going to be a small one. A small suggestion, from me. This is a special occasion. I didn't even have to draft it on a word processor :P

I searched the forum before making this thread. SrgNoodles had the same idea as me, but ages ago. Any credit should go to them. I just decided it was worth it's own thread.

Basic Premise Currently, the inventory system makes zero sense. I don't mean from a realism perspective. I mean from a gameplay perspective. You spawn with a (comparatively) huge ass inventory, then make chests which store bugger all. What's up with that !

New Features: Backpack This is where you'll be keeping your stuff from now on

Much Smaller Starting Inventory That speaks for itself

Use of Existing Features: Leather (For the Backpacks ! :D)

How it will work: Basically, you will spawn with only your quickbar. Pressing E will open the Inventory screen, but the inventory itself will be greyed out. Your first port of call in the game will still be stone tools. However, you will also have a new priority, which is to craft a backpack. This can easily be done as planks can still be gathered and a crafting bench made. The backpack will be crafted like a chest, but with leather.

The backpack will always sit on your quickbar and will give you access to an inventory the same size as a single chest.

Expandability: As you progress, you can add to your backpack with more leather. placing the backpack in the centre and a piece of leather at each side would give side pouches (providing an extra half line). Once this is done, you can upgrade again by placing two leather above the backpack to give a top and front pouch, giving another half line. A fully upgraded backpack would give half the inventory of vanilla.

On Death: On death, your stuff will no longer scatter. Instead, there will be a backpack block in your place, which you can break to retrieve all your stuff. Anything in your hotbar will still scatter.

I reiterate, this is SrgNoodles idea. I had a similar idea, searched the forum and found they had already thought of it. It just didn't have it's own thread.

I like it, only thing I would want diffrent is items to still scatter and the upgrade costing 8 leather each. (your cerrent backpack in the middle with 8 leather around it)

How will the backpack be worn? Just equiped in the chest slot? Will it take damage?

I like it, only thing I would want diffrent is items to still scatter and the upgrade costing 8 leather each. (your cerrent backpack in the middle with 8 leather around it)

How will the backpack be worn? Just equiped in the chest slot? Will it take damage?

It will not take damage (as your pack falling apart mid travel would be more than a little harsh)

The pack could be worn on the chest slot, but to be honest, I was just thinking that having it on the quickbar would enable it.

Why do you want the items still to scatter ? I don't see what it adds to the gameplay, and if you had a backpack it wouldn't really make sense :P

The other factor in this is that I want backpack "blocks" because then you could have a "I'm going hunting" bag, a "woodchopping" bag etc. all prepared in an area just before you left the house :P

The upgrades could cost that much, I think that is a community decision. I only based the upgrades on what actually made sense for a backpack :P

For the quick tool bar i think that you should spawn with an empty tool belt a small size about 10 slots and that can be upgraded to 15 slots! Just like the backpack! If you throw your tools belt away, all your items fall on the floor and you cant pick them back up unless you grab your tool belt or your backpack has enought space inside! But without the toolbelt you wont be able to craft,place blocks or use items!

It will not take damage (as your pack falling apart mid travel would be more than a little harsh)

The pack could be worn on the chest slot, but to be honest, I was just thinking that having it on the quickbar would enable it.

Why do you want the items still to scatter ? I don't see what it adds to the gameplay, and if you had a backpack it wouldn't really make sense :P

The other factor in this is that I want backpack "blocks" because then you could have a "I'm going hunting" bag, a "woodchopping" bag etc. all prepared in an area just before you left the house :P

The upgrades could cost that much, I think that is a community decision. I only based the upgrades on what actually made sense for a backpack :P

Yep yep, the bag taking damage was just to see if you are for or against the idea, I myself am against it taking damage too.

Scattering items adds more risk to the game, if all your important items are tucked safely away in a bag you loes that.

The upgrades should be more costly they the bag it's self, since you can't really lower the bag cost, having the upgrades the same but only provide half as much space seems fair.

Lastly I'm vary much against having the bag on the hotbar, I'm already short with 9 slots and that would just lose me one more with no real purpose.

For the quick tool bar i think that you should spawn with an empty tool belt a small size about 10 slots and that can be upgraded to 15 slots! Just like the backpack! If you throw your tools belt away, all your items fall on the floor and you cant pick them back up unless you grab your tool belt or your backpack has enought space inside! But without the toolbelt you wont be able to craft,place blocks or use items!

It's an interesting idea, but where would you wear/put the tool belt ?

I am trying to avoid implementing any extra inventory slots, as this is meant to be a "back to basics", no frills, simple to implement suggestion.

It's an interesting idea, but where would you wear/put the tool belt ?

I am trying to avoid implementing any extra inventory slots, as this is meant to be a "back to basics", no frills, simple to implement suggestion.

Well i was think on the side of the quick bar to put a small slot for the belt but if your against putting in slots then be it!

I'm not necessarily personally against it :P I actually really like the idea :)

But for once, I have decided to tender a suggestion that wouldn't take Bioxx like 3 months to implement, if he had a full team of coding monkeys :P

Scattering items adds more risk to the game, if all your important items are tucked safely away in a bag you loes that.

How about this: the bag falls as if it was an item, and when it touchs some safe ground, it will become the bag block; if it falls in lava, all the stuff inside it burns, if it falls in still water, it becomes the bag block, and if it falls in moving water, it will flow with it until it touches a dry place -lava or a block...-.

maybe it would be a little hard to code, but in that way you can die close to a lava lake, and run as you never runned before because all of your stuff would be in that bag, which could have burned in the lava lake or be taken miles away from the point were you died by a subterranean river -if these are ever implemented-

-snip-

That is just .. Inspired :P

I think that is a solution for the problem, presuming it satisfied M_so

I think there should be a special slot for the backpack, that way a person can have chest armor AND a normal sized inventory. I also think it should be equipped to work, that way we don't have the backpack mod's issue of someone filling their inventory full of backpacks and being of an industrial ware house on wheels.

I think there should be a special slot for the backpack, that way a person can have chest armor AND a normal sized inventory. I also think it should be equipped to work, that way we don't have the backpack mod's issue of someone filling their inventory full of backpacks and being of an industrial ware house on wheels.

I was hoping there was a way of stopping people from doing that, as that would defeat the purpose. Maybe we should put it on the chest slot specifically so people can't wear full armour and have a normal inventory. I can tell you from experience that when wearing full plate, you're not all that up for putting on a backpack full of rocks :P

I'm really trying to avoid adding a new slot here. I know Bioxx + Co. would likely be more than happy to do it, but it's more hastle :P

Still, if the mobs get harder I don't want to have to choose between a normal inventory and a chest plate.

Still, if the mobs get harder I don't want to have to choose between a normal inventory and a chest plate.

I don't think the mobs will ever get hard enough to make armour a necessity to be honest. Armour is only of use to me in PvP. Mobs are too weak to need it :P

I think he is right... Jed, in one of your own post, you posted an image of the user interface -The Hardcore mode one...- which didn't included more slots, but a new tab in the interface... i mean, what is harder to do? a new slot, or a new tab? :P

Maybe they could make it so, when the mouse is over any armour slot, the avaliable slots in that part of the body appeared over your character image -don't worry, when you move your mouse away from there it goes back to normal :3-. Then, in order to use your backpack, you have to drag the backpack to the chestplate slot, and then place it in the "backpack" slot, and voila! you have your backpack equipped. This also would avoid people to use multiple backpacks in order to have a titanic inventory space available.

For those who didn't understand, i don't have an image, but i will try to show you what i mean:

-When mouse is anywhere but over the armor slots-

<Helmet slot>

<Chestplate slot>

<Leggins slot>

<Boots slot>

-When mouse is OVER any armor slot-

<Helmet slot><Glasses slot*>

<Chestplate slot><Backpack slot><Clothes slot>

<Leggins slot><Underwear slot (xDD)><Pants slot>

<Boots slot><Socks slot>

I did the best i could :P if you yet don't understand, i'm sorry.

*Nobody said Steve hasn't any sight problems :3

Edit: Totally mis-read a line XD Yes, I love this idea. Anything that makes corpse runs negligible is gravy to me.

I've suggested this exact idea, from limiting inventory to one bar to expanding it via packs. The only thing I think differently is that there SHOULD be more equip slots, including one for packs, of course.

I've suggested this exact idea, from limiting inventory to one bar to expanding it via packs. The only thing I think differently is that there SHOULD be more equip slots, including one for packs, of course.

I am also for additional slots usually, but this is meant to be a simple suggestion that would be easy to implement.

That is just .. Inspired :P

I think that is a solution for the problem, presuming it satisfied M_so

I'm fine with that, not sure how it moving in water would work but burning in lava should be easy enough.

Also about waring if the bag, if it is worn as a chest plate that would aid to teamwork on SMP (one player being the tank fighting off creepers, the other being the miner able to carry all the loot) and for SSP it would add some more work when mining, going into a cave having to wall off ore vains then come back before you can mine it. If he just adds a new "Backpack" slot that will just make it easier for everyone and i'm alright with that.

I'm not necessarily personally against it :P I actually really like the idea :)

But for once, I have decided to tender a suggestion that wouldn't take Bioxx like 3 months to implement, if he had a full team of coding monkeys :P

Coding monkeys? Intresting... Do you recon i could buy one over the internet?

What if we it were possible to have a backpack + armor item that had half the inventory space. I don't know about anyone else, but if i make metal armor i only use it when i know i'm going to fight to avoid unnecessary damage to the armor. I usually use leather to just go around.

I vouch for the extra slot dedicated to the backpack.

Also, take in mind that the stones will have a stack limit. The same way we can't stack more than 4 logs, 8 ingots, ores, support beams, etc

thanks for making this post, it saves me alot of time and thinking

seeing as i presume this would be used for mining or logging why not some sort of wheel barrow ( don't know if this would be easy i presume not too easy but doable) as this is realistic and later would be over taken by the mine cart systems for mining and still used for logging.

I am for the idea with the helmet slot allowing glasses, pants allowing underwear etc. This would probably need those coding monkeys to do in 6 months to implement though...