Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mvdhoning

bread making

64 posts in this topic

are you going to overhaul farming also?

like in vanilla minecraft you just toss 3 grown wheat on a bench and presto you have a break. How realistic is that.

idea

have the player to make a grinding machine

grind the wheat in the machine into flour

need some water, buckets? or make a watersack out of leather?

some salt from rock containing salt, grind that?

bring back the oven in a new form needing to input multipe ingredients

bread recipy: 3 wheat, 1 water, 1 salt

cookie recipy: 1 wheat, 1 cocao, 1 sugar (or whatever it is in vanilla)

or should i co-install the better then wolves mod besides it?

BTW is incompatible with forge, and therefore with any forge mod -including TFC-. So you won't be able to use it...

And about the suggestion, i do like it, but maybe we should avoid anything called "machine something". The mod is about hard working for your survival and tecnological advancement, not automatization. Maybe if the grinding process was something manual it would work. Also, the salt could be obtained by heating salt water to evaporate it, leaving behind the salt.

One last thing, avoid the word "realism", a dirty word around here .-.

the basic millstone in btw is having a lever attached to it that you have to flip x times (and that is a lot) to get flour.

2 smooth slabstones above each other resembles a millstone to my idea, add a lever or button to that and you have your 'millstone' grinder. that accepts 3 items and give one. For 3 wheat that could give 1 flour.

don't know about a grinding machine, wheat was ground to flour with a mortar and pestle millenia ago. I've always been partial to the idea of making dough and cooking it though

if the max tech they're going for reaches only into BCE times, then even windmills wouldn't be workable, so machines really aren't the thing here, unless you're going to reach 3rd and 1st century BC, then waterwheels might be an option.

Hand/foot powered machines were around since earlier though, they just would require your input.

are you going to overhaul farming also?

like in vanilla minecraft you just toss 3 grown wheat on a bench and presto you have a break. How realistic is that.

idea

have the player to make a grinding machine

grind the wheat in the machine into flour

need some water, buckets? or make a watersack out of leather?

some salt from rock containing salt, grind that?

bring back the oven in a new form needing to input multipe ingredients

bread recipy: 3 wheat, 1 water, 1 salt

cookie recipy: 1 wheat, 1 cocao, 1 sugar (or whatever it is in vanilla)

or should i co-install the better then wolves mod besides it?

to make up for it being harder to obtain food in TFC, bread would probably only require the flour from one piece of wheat. Cookie would probably be sugar, water, flour, cocoa. Cake would probably be milk, sugar, egg, flour or something

Rock salt is literally NaCl, meaning it IS salt

I definitely think a combination of hammer(powderizable)->pieces & mortar_pestle(pieces) -> powder would be in order for things like rock salt. (potentially for wheat as well, but I dont think they used a mortar and pestle for wheat I think it was grindstones.

i thought it was just 2 rocks to grind it down :/

well yeah, but how do you suppose that could be easily implemented?

Maybe if you put a grind able item (wheat) and two rocks in the crafting grid you could get a grinding GUI?

Maybe if you put a grind able item (wheat) and two rocks in the crafting grid you could get a grinding GUI?

Yes, but that would be a difficult thing to do (IRL). A flat surface and a rock, and preferably a nice simple mortar and pestle would do the same and be historically accurate.

Yes, but that would be a difficult thing to do (IRL). A flat surface and a rock, and preferably a nice simple mortar and pestle would do the same and be historically accurate.

of course it was hard, did you think living in the stone and bronze ages was easy?

from wikipedia:

Neolithic and Upper Paleolithic people used millstone to grind grains, nuts, rhizomes and other vegetable food products for consumption.[3] These implements are often called grinding stones. They used either saddlestones or rotary querns turned by hand. Such devices were also used to grind pigments and metal ores prior to smelting.

They didnt use a mortar and pestle because they didnt have enough capacity to grind the amount of grain/nuts that would be needed to produce enough material to make anything useful. Also mortar and pestle tend to be ceramics, not made of base rock. (not that you couldn't make one, but it isn't easy without metal tools)

of course it was hard, did you think living in the stone and bronze ages was easy?

from wikipedia:

Neolithic and Upper Paleolithic people used millstone to grind grains, nuts, rhizomes and other vegetable food products for consumption.[3] These implements are often called grinding stones. They used either saddlestones or rotary querns turned by hand. Such devices were also used to grind pigments and metal ores prior to smelting.

They didnt use a mortar and pestle because they didnt have enough capacity to grind the amount of grain/nuts that would be needed to produce enough material to make anything useful. Also mortar and pestle tend to be ceramics, not made of base rock. (not that you couldn't make one, but it isn't easy without metal tools)

we're balancing realism and gameplay.

we're balancing realism and gameplay.

i know, but its not overly complex to make a grindstone for the stone age, it kind of breaks immersion to make huge volumes of flour with a tiny cup and stone stick.

Similarly to how you use 2 rocks for knapping but only 1 is consumed, why not put wheat between two rocks on the crafting table.

XRX

XWX

XRX

x= nothing, r= rock, w=wheat.

It should yield 1 flour.

Add one bucket of water to make dough (doesn't consume bucket). Then place dough in firepit to make bread.

Probably would be harder to develop as far as coding etc, but makes sense enough to me as far as gameplay progression goes.

Similarly to how you use 2 rocks for knapping but only 1 is consumed, why not put wheat between two rocks on the crafting table.

XRX

XWX

XRX

x= nothing, r= rock, w=wheat.

It should yield 1 flour.

Add one bucket of water to make dough (doesn't consume bucket). Then place dough in firepit to make bread.

Probably would be harder to develop as far as coding etc, but makes sense enough to me as far as gameplay progression goes.

not really that hard to code. But it just doesn't feel right. Millstones were HUGE, and using the little rocks you pick off the ground just doesn't sit with me well.

The first basic breads, well grain cakes more like, were just grain such as barley and oil such as olive oil mixed and pressed and baked.

I would work to make breads more believable to make with eggs and milk and so on if there was a simple recipe in place for these cakes of oil and grain for the early game.

Would be neat to have to make the dough and let it rise and all that, but at the same time making to much of the mod tedious can have a negative impact too. But, as long as there are early food options available so ppl don't have to starve till they get to metal then it will be fine i think. If fishing is fleshed out a bit it would actually be a great starter food.

not really that hard to code. But it just doesn't feel right. Millstones were HUGE, and using the little rocks you pick off the ground just doesn't sit with me well.

Do I smell another player built structure? Perhaps require raw stone for the 'wheel'...

You toss grown wheat in the open space under the raw stone bit and it creates a block similar to the 'lava' block in a bloomery, only textured with dozens of little grains. You crank a mechanism block made from sticks and whatever at the top the same way you'd pump a bellows, and then a collection block near the base (similar to a bloomery block) allows you to pop in sacks which would fill with flour or what have you

edit: and let it be known that I still think hay bales for wheat storage would be a great idea

Do I smell another player built structure? Perhaps require raw stone for the 'wheel'...

You toss grown wheat in the open space under the raw stone bit and it creates a block similar to the 'lava' block in a bloomery, only textured with dozens of little grains. You crank a mechanism block made from sticks and whatever at the top the same way you'd pump a bellows, and then a collection block near the base (similar to a bloomery block) allows you to pop in sacks which would fill with flour or what have you

edit: and let it be known that I still think hay bales for wheat storage would be a great idea

I don't know if it would be that complicated, and we might just use clay pots to store flour. I liked the hay bales idea, but further into construction we are looking into some sort of thatch, so I don't know how that will factor in.

I don't know if it would be that complicated, and we might just use clay pots to store flour. I liked the hay bales idea, but further into construction we are looking into some sort of thatch, so I don't know how that will factor in.

I'd think thatch would be made more with sugarcane, no?

I like clay pots better, as a side note. Reminds me fondly of runescape

I'd think thatch would be made more with sugarcane, no?

I like clay pots better, as a side note. Reminds me fondly of runescape

no, thatch is made most commonly with hay, grass or wheat. Sugar cane would be not only too thick, but too valuable in real life.

and yes, i do have fond memories of runescape too, til my account got hacked and I was finally freed from it's curse.

maybe you should add PROPER grass as a plantable and harvestable crop, in the sense that you can plant it or somehow treat an area of grass blocks to induce the grass to grow tall? Or environmental rules that dictate where grass blocks can grow tall grass

maybe you should add PROPER grass as a plantable and harvestable crop, in the sense that you can plant it or somehow treat an area of grass blocks to induce the grass to grow tall? Or environmental rules that dictate where grass blocks can grow tall grass

probably not, but good thought.

no, thatch is made most commonly with hay, grass or wheat. Sugar cane would be not only too thick, but too valuable in real life.

and yes, i do have fond memories of runescape too, til my account got hacked and I was finally freed from it's curse.

"Thatching is the craft of building a roof with dry vegetation such as straw, water reed, sedge (Cladium mariscus), rushes, or heather, layering the vegetation so as to shed water away from the inner roof."

MC sugarcane was originally just reeds. Then when cake came out, instead of adding sugarcane as a separate thing, Notch just changed the reeds so that they could give sugar a source without over-complicating things.

Wheat is too useful as a food source in my opinion to use it for thatch. Why should I have to choose between eating or not being rained on and creeper'd?

you only grind the top part of a wheat/grain plant. The bottom part is for the cattle. Dont know if the bottom part would be useable for thatching. I rather would like to see a different plant be introduced for that purpose as hinted above.

but as said before a grindstone/millstone does not have to be complicated just 2 stone slabs on top of each other with a lever attached to it.

slot in harvested grain/wheat flip the switch 10 times and you get some flour. slot in rocksalt and gain consumeable salt.

next on the crafting bench put on a ceramic mold, 3 flour, one (consumeable) salt and some water giving a mold with dough

next use that ceramic mold on your campfire yielding a ceramic mold and a bread.

hint could for a hotter (or less fast cooling off) burning campfire some dirt should be place along in keeping only one side open? (aka a poor mans oven)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0